R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2008 Clubman light failure

Old 05-22-2014, 05:38 PM
trev_penney
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Clubman light failure

My drivers side headlight and turn signal, passenger side fog light, door flasher, and rear flasher all shut off at the same time. All of the opposite components are still working and I checked all of the bulbs on the working components with no issue. My dome light, and mood lighting are also out, however reading lamps still work. Any suggestions?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:41 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd look for a common ground.

X175 - Ground - Left side of engine bay.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
diagram.pdf (88.2 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by danjreed; 05-22-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:47 PM
trev_penney
Neutral
Originally Posted by danjreed
I'd look for a common ground.
any idea where that could be.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:49 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Just posted a diagram, let me look some more.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:58 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Here ya go.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Clubman light failure-g00445125.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 PM
trev_penney
Neutral
Here ya go.
thank you so much. I'll give that a try in the morning.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:17 AM
trev_penney
Neutral
Here ya go.
there is no ground here.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Clubman light failure-image-1361440258.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 06:12 AM
Bandit-DE
1st Gear
Check your wiring harness to make sure you don't have damage to the wires. I had a rodent (a squirrel) chew through a wiring harness on a car and lost all the lights on one side of the car.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:49 PM
John A Shook
1st Gear
2008 Clubman light failure

Check your drivers side footwell and see if you have water in the carpeting. If you do, you probably have shorted out the footwell module. The flooding comes from your moon roof draining into your footwell vice outside. Had exact same conditions and had to replace the module. Not cheap plus having the drain corrected, not cheap as the headliner needs to be dropped. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:56 AM
trev_penney
Neutral
Found out the problem was caused from a disconnected drain valve on my sunroof. Took about 10 mins. To fix this problem, however water leaked into my FRM and corroded the inside circuit board and corroded a wire completely off on the module 1 plug to the FRM. I cleaned the circuit board up with a wire electrical cleaner brush and contact cleaner. I reconnected the wire to the plug and everything is working again. That could have gotten expensive at the dealer, however total cost for the repair was zero dollars. The circuit board was corroded pretty good to but if it works, it works

Old 06-06-2014, 04:24 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Glad it's sorted, good to know about that footwell module.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 PM
rsplodge
1st Gear
Originally Posted by trev_penney
Found out the problem was caused from a disconnected drain valve on my sunroof. Took about 10 mins. To fix this problem, however water leaked into my FRM and corroded the inside circuit board and corroded a wire completely off on the module 1 plug to the FRM. I cleaned the circuit board up with a wire electrical cleaner brush and contact cleaner. I reconnected the wire to the plug and everything is working again. That could have gotten expensive at the dealer, however total cost for the repair was zero dollars. The circuit board was corroded pretty good to but if it works, it works

I had the same problem and fixed the FRM connectors myself but I thought the water had splashed in from my boot mat, as I had been driving without the lower plastic door molding for a while (since I had removed it to fix the hood release). So I put the fixed FRM back and was oh so happy. Only today, a week later, it went again and this time there were flames and the board is badly damaged. I had washed the car two days ago so perhaps that helped get water in there. Where is this sunroof drain you are talking about? Can I fix this myself? My car is out of warranty.
What a terrible design (and safety hazard) but I doubt I'd have success getting Mini to cover this.

...Roger

Old 03-10-2015, 01:09 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
when I read things like this it makes me happy I don't have no holes in my roof.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:23 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rsplodge
I had the same problem and fixed the FRM connectors myself but I thought the water had splashed in from my boot mat, as I had been driving without the lower plastic door molding for a while (since I had removed it to fix the hood release). So I put the fixed FRM back and was oh so happy. Only today, a week later, it went again and this time there were flames and the board is badly damaged. I had washed the car two days ago so perhaps that helped get water in there. Where is this sunroof drain you are talking about? Can I fix this myself? My car is out of warranty.
What a terrible design (and safety hazard) but I doubt I'd have success getting Mini to cover this.

...Roger

TY for posting about this. I plan to pull off my door seal and add a little seam sealer and press it back on to block out that water.

Im going to also pull out my FRM and wrap in in a ZIP-LOCK baggie to try to keep it dry somehow.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
TY for posting about this. I plan to pull off my door seal and add a little seam sealer and press it back on to block out that water.

Im going to also pull out my FRM and wrap in in a ZIP-LOCK baggie to try to keep it dry somehow.
Any nice plastic sheeting to deflect water might help. Show us pictures when you've done the work ....?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:50 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pure Red
Any nice plastic sheeting to deflect water might help. Show us pictures when you've done the work ....?
Will do!

Old 10-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Mellow Yellow '09
Neutral

Is this still working for you? Dealer wants me to pay over 1K to replace the FRM. Is it a long term solution to just fix the ducts and replace the wiring?

Old 10-20-2015, 02:02 PM
rsplodge
1st Gear
There is no need to replace the FRM if the problem is just the connectors but sometimes they have no experience fixing connectors as that is an electrical task not a mechanical task. I would ask them to show you the board.
If you want more info send me a private message.