R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Help with Clubman decision/options

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 AM
doug_999
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Clubman decision/options

We are close to a decision on a Clubman S… sort of…
Background – have the family truckster (MDX) and the required sedan (M5) and are looking for a “fun” 3rd car (yes, the M5 is fun, but not for the wife). Something to tool around in – rarely will we go on long trips and we have two kids – 6 and 8 (so yes, we will be going to soccer/t-ball, etc practice in the Mini). This car will sit outside in our driveway and we live in the Chicago area. Car will be stick and wife prefers the Red (this much is guaranteed). I’m stuck on a couple of things and ask the boards help (Have read/searched on many of these questions but have not found definitive thoughts/answers)…
  • Leatherette/Cloth – I personally would prefer cloth because the car will normally be really cold or really hot when we get in it. My biggest fear however is the kids and spills. Anyone have cloth AND kids and wish they had gotten leatherette? Will cloth lower the value of the car?
  • Red/Silver – No offense here, but I just HATE the when the back trim is in black – so we are getting a car with silver trim in back no matter what. Trying to decide on the Red roof with silver sport stripes or the silver roof with bonnet stripes. My BIGGEST fear is resale – WHY are all the red clubmans out there with black trim?
  • 2011, 2010, 2009 – Hear the LCI is coming out for 2011 and they will focus on the interior (good, cause those controls are not well thought-out). Alas, that means waiting another year or so. The 2010s have the free premium package going on, but I think I missed the window to order in time and as noted, there are no red/silver ones out there configured close to what I want. Dealer has a 2009 Red Hat demo Red/Silver optioned pretty good (The exec who ordered it however, did not get the convenience package but instead separately ordered Bluetooth, Comfort Access, and Auto Dimming mirror for the same price as the package – thus the car does not have rain sensing wipers or universal garage door opener. On the plus side, it has the punch leather). Lowest price is $26,900 and it has 8K on the clock and they will swap out the wheels (see #4). Wait for 2011, find a stock 2010 missing options ($1,750 credit right now), order and take the $1,000 credit, or take the 2009 red/silver?
  • Wheels – I personally like the look of the 16” S Wheels and I’m sure they ride better than the 17” 5-star, but that higher sidewall is killing me. On the 2009, the dealer has offered to swap the wheels for me (presumably now the car will have new tires and all seasons) – the ride should improve as well. Alas, will dropping to the 16” tires on a well equipped 2009 hurt the resale a lot?
  • Limited Slip – Have heard mixed things here. I have not driven a Clubman without it, and it would be on my order sheet for sure (and the 2009 has it). I’m guessing it helps reduce torque steer coming out of corners? I noticed none in my test drive. Comments on limited slip?
Any other comments/thoughts? The package I would order would be
Clubman S, Premium, CWP, Conv, LSD, Xenon, Rear Fog, Rooster Trim, PDC
On the fence about Sport Pkg, Cloth/Leatherette,
Anything I’m missing?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In general...

I support buying now instead of waiting, cause you get more fun seat time... That said...

I don't think the strips and color trim issues really effect resale value that much at all.

I'd stick with the 16 inch wheels. Tires are less expenisve, and the 17" wheels with low profile tires look better, but don't do good things for the handling. Once again, this is more a personal decision than anything else. Don't think it's that big a deal for resale either. Also I've heard that the roads in your area aren't great, so the taller sidewall on the 16" tires will help with ride and the potholes.

LSD is going away (or is already gone) for new builds. It's being replaced with eDLC (electronic differential lock control), or using the brakes to control wheel spin. Works good on the street, but causes more heat on the track. If you really love the mechanical LSD, you have to buy one of the earlier cars.

Minis hold resale better than a lot of other cars, seems to me most of your concerns fall into the personal preference category more than anything else, and there's no right answer to them.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but in reading your list, these seemm to be a "go with your gut" kind of decision...

Matt

Old 03-06-2010, 12:42 PM
mastawyrm
4th Gear
My CLubman S is currently in production so I can tell you that the LSD is no longer available. I tried to order it but was told it had been discontinued before the order went through.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:56 PM
doug_999
2nd Gear
Bummer about the LSD - however, just drove a car today and while I could tell the difference, I now realize that it is not a MUST HAVE option. Is the eDLC an option or standard?

Wish I liked the 16" wheels more. The standard ones I thought I loved, look terrible in person. I will agree that the car does ride better with the 16s...

We also realized that the Laser Blue with silver is almost better than the Red/Silver combo - I'm now back to looking at a used 2008 Clubman with the old blue (which I actually prefer).

Old 03-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I spoke to someone from a local Mini dealer here...

they are selling 2009s at invoice, but they only have a few and they're convertables. Maybe searching around will find you a deal on 2009s...

Just a thought...

Matt

Old 03-06-2010, 04:28 PM
doug_999
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
they are selling 2009s at invoice, but they only have a few and they're convertables. Maybe searching around will find you a deal on 2009s...

Just a thought...

Matt
In searching for a picture of Laser Blue with sport package, I found a bunch of certified 2009s that are really loaded up! Not sure if they are still available and not sure why they don't show on the dealer's websites (they show on miniusa.com when you search for last owned or whatever they call their CPO program). Of course one Carfax said rental - for 20 days. And it has 4,500 miles. Heck of a 20 days

Old 03-06-2010, 05:29 PM
isthar
5th Gear
I would go leatherette (what do you have in the M5?)... unless you want to max-comfort your MINI, since it will help make the seats cushier. And re: kids, leatherette is easier to clean than cloth (and so is leather).

color: go with what you want. I think red and black are just a Classic match, but I see no huge reason why red/silver would be a big deal in the future. in fact, you should then call it out for being unique!

My last note would be that I also went for 16" to improve the ride (in particular since for me it's the daily driver, and I've got a toddler in the back now!). I have the all-seasons, and I might at some point buy summer rubber, but will probably still stick to 16".

Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
ggonzale
3rd Gear
Don't forget the cold package! It would really help on those cold Chicago winter days!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:13 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The heated seats are a MUST for me.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a 2010 Chili Red/Black Clubman and really like the color combo. I just cannot understand the Red/Silver, my opinion. I also don't understand the red roof with black or silver C Pillars either. It's just really odd.

I personally think the red/black combo will be more desireable at resale.

I would also think the 17" wheels would help the resale as the appreance is a lot better on the car. The ride is not that much noticably different, especially without runflats.

Click Below to see my Chili Red/Black Clubman
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

Other Options to consider...

Center Arm Rest...A MUST!!
Chrome line interior...the gray plastic looks cheap if you don't have chrome interior.

Last edited by slimjimtell; 03-07-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 AM
doug_999
2nd Gear
Thanks for the comments everyone...
The M5 has perforated (heated and cooled) leather. You don't want to know what it costs to get the cooled option an while it does something it doesn't do that much for the money.
I sat in the dealers 2009 Clubman S (red/silver) exec demo and it had the punch leather. I really like that but can't see spending the $1,500 for what will be a 3rd car.
Heated seats (CWP = Cold Weather Package) are a must - totally agree.
Saw the cloth in person and like the leatherette better I think - plus as noted...those darn kids....
We are officially in the hate the center arm rest club - alas, the car we are leaning towards has it. Bet that can't be removed easily and I'm out $250 on top of it....
Totally agree with the Chrome line interior - the standard trim does not show at all in pictures - but when you sit in the car you are like WOW - where did that come from. Unfortunately the wife thinks it looks "fun" AND it is on the car we are leaning towards.... :(
Last but not least, I agree that a red roof just doesn't fit (curious how it would look with the roof rails however). As far as the back of a red car in black, I just can't do it... I keep seeing Robin (as in Batman and Robin) when I see the back of a Chili Red with Black trim. The taillights look like robin's eyes through the mask... (sorry, but that's what I keep thinking!)

Old 03-07-2010, 08:40 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
I don't see the "Caped Crusader" or his side Kick Robin?

But...I do see "LIGHTNING MCQUEEN"

Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 AM
doug_999
2nd Gear
Like I said, i see it and I just can't get it out of my mind every time I look at it. That said, it is quite possible I just have bad taste

Attached Thumbnails Help with Clubman decision/options-robin.jpg  

Last edited by doug_999; 03-07-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:32 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
That's the beauty of buying a MINI, Everyone can be different with the endless possibilities.

Have fun with it!

BTW, drive a MINI with the center arm rest for some decent miles, then drive the one without...I promise, you will find a hard time trying to find a place for your right arm. My brother in law didn't get one in his and KICKS himself everyday and doesn't want to pay $250 for it. If you get one he may make a deal with you and swap the NON armrest for the Armrest and some $$.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
SlimJim, you always find the hidden gems (ex. RMG stripes and your sun shade). Where did you buy that thing? It's awesome!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:53 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
I bought it from another MINI owner that lives here in the Carolinas. He is part of http://tarheelminis.org/ . Although, they are not available anymore and I cannot seem to find them. I would like an extra one if I could get my hands on one.

They originally were from State Farm Insurance yeas ago when the movie CARS came out. They were giving them to customers. I had to cut it down to fit.

My daughter yells "MAPEEN" when she sees it. She's 2 and cannot say McQueen very well.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
You have kids - ergo leatherette or leather is a must-have option. Whether leather is up to your wallet - the leatherette is pretty good and even in sunny central FL I don't regret the black (AZ - no way). Chigago winters would also present a pretty compelling argument for seat-heaters.

If you can get a mechanical LSD - get it. The other must-have options for me are HIDs, arm-rest, stereo upgrade, MFSW, bluetooth, non-sport suspenders and 16" wheels. These are the ones I ordered in my '08. Time over again I would have got the rain-sensing wipers and Homelink - the 3 speed wipers are a bit retro for my taste and I detest my M-I-L's gate opener which rattles like a bastard hanging off the visor.

Any way you slice it you'll have a good time and I commend you on your taste in cars!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:01 PM
doug_999
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kimbo80
SlimJim, you always find the hidden gems (ex. RMG stripes and your sun shade). Where did you buy that thing? It's awesome!
I would agree - the RMG (racing stripes right?) are a very cool addition (was thinking about doing them in silver till the wife put an end to that because she likes the bonnet stripes better) and as a plus, you totally lose the robin look

Originally Posted by slimjimtell
That's the beauty of buying a MINI, Everyone can be different with the endless possibilities.

Have fun with it!

BTW, drive a MINI with the center arm rest for some decent miles, then drive the one without...I promise, you will find a hard time trying to find a place for your right arm. My brother in law didn't get one in his and KICKS himself everyday and doesn't want to pay $250 for it. If you get one he may make a deal with you and swap the NON armrest for the Armrest and some $$.
I think that is the PROBLEM with Mini - the possibilities! Just look at all the stuff you did to your car! All of these options (factory, dealer, other) are keeping me up at night. This is one unique car....

re: Arm rest - I agree - for distance driving, I could see wanting one of these. Of course the plan is to NOT do distance driving - alas, I see that possibly changing. This car is going to be fun.