R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Curt Hitch for Clubman--good price; how's the install??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 PM
zeddy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curt Hitch for Clubman--good price; how's the install??

So a few days ago I was thrilled to find out (via the forum) that minidomore had reduced the cost of their clubman hitch to $190 + $35 and had even had it on sale for $50 off a little bit ago. With snow season approaching I figured no rush on the hitch for bikes and I'd watch until it went on the $50 off sale again. Until... I saw Auto Clef's post about the new Curt Hitch for the Clubman for $115 +$35. (Both of these prices make me much happier than the previous options ).

His hitch was installed by the company. Is there any one that has purchased and installed the Curt Hitch on their Clubman? Please post feedback/observations.
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Alto Clef
There is an alternative you may want to consider: my Clubman was the "test fit" for a new Clubman-specific hitch made by Curt Mfg. They installed in early October, and it should be available any time now in the general market. NAM vendor Dustin (AutoX Cooper) offers the Curt hitch for all other MINI's at $114.99 + $35 shipping, and he might be able to generate a price for you. Email Dustin at info@autoxcooper.com.

The Curt hitch is the same "hidden" style as the MiniDoMore, but has safety chain loops built onto the hitch frame itself, rather than putting them on the drawbar (MiniDoMore's are on the drawbar). I think it may only be offered in 1.25" receiver size, but I might be wrong. Mine is 1.25". If you're looking at a bike rack with that size receiver mount, you should be good.
Here's the link to the vendor announcement for their clubman hitch:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-to-ship.html

Old 11-23-2009, 08:58 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
I ordered the MiniDoMore hitch when they were on sale. Having seen the Curt hitch, I'm almost wishing I'd have waited, as the Curt hitch a) is less expensive and b) has the safety chain loops designed into the hitch, where they belong IMHO.

Having downloaded the installation instructions, they look identical to the MiniDoMore install, as one would expect given they mount in the same location etc. I think its safe to assume they will mount up just fine given the fact they (Curt) manufacture hitches for 1000's of applications.

Looks like AutoXCooper has the current best deal for a Clubman hitch solution.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by taysan
I ordered the MiniDoMore hitch when they were on sale. Having seen the Curt hitch, I'm almost wishing I'd have waited, as the Curt hitch a) is less expensive and b) has the safety chain loops designed into the hitch, where they belong IMHO.

Having downloaded the installation instructions, they look identical to the MiniDoMore install, as one would expect given they mount in the same location etc. I think its safe to assume they will mount up just fine given the fact they (Curt) manufacture hitches for 1000's of applications.

Looks like AutoXCooper has the current best deal for a Clubman hitch solution.
Taysan,

Could you tell me your experience with finding tow chains that are long enough to reach under the bumper and hook to the chain hooks? Did you have to make longer chains? Have you had any problems with the chains dragging on turns or contacting your bumper. I'm not trying to knock on the Curt design, just interested. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
taysan
2nd Gear
I haven't had an opportunity to install my hitch yet unfortunately. Too much going on and I don't have anything to tow yet

I'll probably have a friend weld something on for me to hook chains to, as I believe I have to have these by law up here and it will be easier to do it before I install.

I'd seriously consider adding the loops to the factory design. If people want to use chains they will. If their chains are too short or too long, well, that's for them to bother with. You can't foresee those possibilities as the manufacturer of one component of a multi-part towing system.

You could manufacture sleeves to cover trailer chains with to prevent damage to bumpers Would look nice with your logo on it.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Sorry for hijacking your thread but thanks for the response!

Actually, we have the chain rings welded to our Drawbar instead. This meets SAE J684 requirements for towing as it is connected to the hitch with a drawbar pin and is VERY EASY to get to!! We sell our drawbars this way or you could make your own. I agree, never tow without tow chains. They are good added insurance and required!!

We have considered adding to the hitch, but haven't figured how to not damage bumper. May try your idea. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Curt Hitch for Clubman--good price; how's the install??-drawbar-kit-in-oem-tool-bag-small.jpg  
Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
I have installed the hitch and the only criticism I have is that Curt calls for a 30lb/ft of torque on all hardware. Do not try this on the nuts - I sheared one of them off before hitting the clicker on my tq wrench. 20lb/ft should be fine.

I haven't hooked up my trailer yet so I can't comment on the chain lengths. I'll be interested to see if they clear the bumper.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 AM
MiniCarver
1st Gear
If you sheard a bolt (not nut) with 20 ft/lbs applied to it and it was a bolt designed for the hitch, believe me, the bolt was defective.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCarver
If you sheard a bolt (not nut) with 20 ft/lbs applied to it and it was a bolt designed for the hitch, believe me, the bolt was defective.

Actually it was an OEM stud from the frame of the MINI. Should have been more specific. And of course there's a chance that the stud was defective anyway.

BTW - towed with it yesterday and the safety chains on my trailer cleared the bumper no problem. With the license plate slung low I think there might be an issue clearing it (the plate) on hard turns but even then I think it would be ok. If you have your plate mounted higher no sweat.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 AM
MiniCarver
1st Gear
Just curious.......what kind of trailier/toy are you towing? I've been thinking about towing a Seadoo trailer with 700 lbs toy on it. When I tow this with my wife's Lexus RX330, I can really feel the tug. I'm thinking my Mini may be taxed to the max. What do you think based on your towing experience?

Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCarver
Just curious.......what kind of trailier/toy are you towing? I've been thinking about towing a Seadoo trailer with 700 lbs toy on it. When I tow this with my wife's Lexus RX330, I can really feel the tug. I'm thinking my Mini may be taxed to the max. What do you think based on your towing experience?
I've got a cheapie Harbor Freight style trailer that I'll be using to load a lawn tractor on. I'd imagine they're similar weights.

The Curt system claims to be beefy enough for 200lbs tongue weight and 2000 lbs towing weight. That should be more than enough for a jet-ski.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rexicon
I've got a cheapie Harbor Freight style trailer that I'll be using to load a lawn tractor on. I'd imagine they're similar weights.

The Curt system claims to be beefy enough for 200lbs tongue weight and 2000 lbs towing weight. That should be more than enough for a jet-ski.
The Mini Cooper and Clubman are only rated for 1440 lbs in the UK. I would assume it is the same car in the USA. So, the hitch may be rated for 2000, but the car isn't!

Again, Curt doesn't know or really care to check into the cars ratings, they are just WalMarting the market. Big box store with no real knowledge!

Old 03-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
I have installed the hitch and the only criticism I have is that Curt calls for a 30lb/ft of torque on all hardware. Do not try this on the nuts - I sheared one of them off before hitting the clicker on my tq wrench. 20lb/ft should be fine.

I haven't hooked up my trailer yet so I can't comment on the chain lengths. I'll be interested to see if they clear the bumper.
Another WalMart example. You get what you pay for guys! See Curt doesn't own a Mini Cooper nor do they own a service manual! If they did, they would know that 30 ft lbs is WAY TOO MUCH! Mini Do More does own two Mini Coopers and we also do own a service manual and used it to develop our install instructions. (the correct torque is 17 ft lbs!)

Old 03-14-2010, 03:29 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Yep - I read your instructions after the fact - wish I'd read them beforehand...

Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Yep - I read your instructions after the fact - wish I'd read them beforehand...
I wish if you read my instructions that you bought my hitch......

Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Just clearing up an old memory card and I came across this gem:

(Steve the painter riding shotgun)

Attached Thumbnails Curt Hitch for Clubman--good price; how's the install??-trailer_steve.jpg