R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Who knows what to believe, anymore!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Alphawave
Who knows what to believe, anymore!?!

"Strategic Vision noted that the Mini Cooper was ranked last in initial quality by the most recent J.D. Power survey, but under the criteria used by the Strategic Vision index, the Mini was the highest-rated brand in Total Quality in its price category."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...id=43439&tsp=1

Old 07-11-2009, 03:11 PM
KdF
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I has allways been MY belief that JD Powers is a Bought and Paid for survey ranking by the automotive industry. Also you have to take in consideration of how thw survey questions were presented to the surveyee. I just took a survey from another site that had weird questions, and not any that were relivent to what "I" wanted to say or submit. Sharp pencils do work wonders with stats and figures.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unlike J.D. Power's annual initial-quality study, which rates vehicles and manufacturers strictly on the number of warranty complaints to dealers in the first three months of new-vehicle ownership, the Strategic Vision survey takes into account the emotional aspects of ownership — how pleased consumers are with the way their vehicles look and feel.
That might explain it.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:25 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Yeah, I heard that little things like "I don't like where the switches that open the windows are located" affect the JD ratings. Consumer Reports is supposed to be more accurate.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:29 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...EXTKEY=I72RSMG

The Clubman is a longer version of the Mini Cooper, with a larger backseat and more cargo space. A small rear-hinged door on the right side helps rear access. The Clubman is just as fun to drive as the standard Mini, with impressive steering, handling, and braking, but the improvement in utility is modest; the rear delivery-van-style doors hinder cargo access and rear vision. The Clubman ($24,700 MSRP as tested) is equipped with a smooth, 118-hp, 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers average performance but above-average fuel economy. The six-speed automatic transmission shifts quickly and smoothly. Braking is excellent.
So they don't like the club doors and the engine performance is "average". I'm fine with both the doors and my car's engine (albeit an S), so when you put this sorta stuff into the proper context...

Old 07-11-2009, 10:37 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
I like where all the switches are, and the barn doors. I love that I can get people into the back of my street legal go kart. I'm so happy that they came out with the Clubman, and I really don't give a rats bum what anyone else thinks.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by dvhone
I like where all the switches are, and the barn doors. I love that I can get people into the back of my street legal go kart. I'm so happy that they came out with the Clubman, and I really don't give a rats bum what anyone else thinks.

It gets so tiresome listening to all the 'pro's tell us what we should think...it seems they think we can't think for ourselves! We're a step ahead, as regular users...bottom line. Barn doors hinder access?....you've got to be effing kidding me.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:48 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
I completely agree. I'm just really pissed off that I only have one.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 AM
jtc
2nd Gear
Do any of you guys actually have an issue with the "blind spot" that the barn doors create? I've heard reviewers talking about what an annoying problem it is since the Clubman was first released, but I've never seen some one who owns a Clubman complain.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:32 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
The barn door column bothered me for the first hour or so on the drive home but after that I don't even notice it.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:55 AM
KdF
2nd Gear
And I bet the '63 Stingray's split down the back window bothered them greatly. Mirrors work also. Anything to ***** about a offering that "They" didn't think of, or won't produce. I really enjoy the toggle switches and center stack, as it's DIFFERENT and kinda cool. If I wanted plain jane run of the mill anyone can use it without thought or IQ, I would have bought another "Borg" type vehicle instead of this one. Isn't a bit of "Special" what we purchased here?

Just sayin.........

Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 AM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jtc
Do any of you guys actually have an issue with the "blind spot" that the barn doors create? I've heard reviewers talking about what an annoying problem it is since the Clubman was first released, but I've never seen some one who owns a Clubman complain.
From a practical standpoint, there isn't much that would be completely covered by that blind spot.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:21 AM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jtc
Ever drive a large truck? That's what those mirrors on the doors are for. In comparison there is a cavernous view on the Clubman and it's one of the great endearing character quirks.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 AM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alphawave

It gets so tiresome listening to all the 'pro's tell us what we should think...it seems they think we can't think for ourselves! We're a step ahead, as regular users...bottom line. Barn doors hinder access?....you've got to be effing kidding me.
I'm in complete agreement with that.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:58 AM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
i thought everyone knew jd power & associates rankings and awards were useless...ever notice the only auto makers that try to use these "results" or "statistics" in their ads are american? 'nuff sedd.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jtc
Do any of you guys actually have an issue with the "blind spot" that the barn doors create?
No. I read a review that said you'd loose a motorcycle in it...not true, they must have totaly made that up.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Alphawave
No. I read a review that said you'd loose a motorcycle in it...not true, they must have totaly made that up.
Naw, it's true...you can lose a motorcycle in it when said cycle is several miles behind you...

Old 07-13-2009, 02:02 PM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
Experts don't know much!
Heck, they thought that "Bruno" wouldn't/couldn't make money...it was tops at the box office...that is until Wednesday...ya know the Harry "Stuff" gets released!
I love the "barndoors" they make it very easy to put my golf shoes on when I sit on the rear. I think a hatch would have been too low. Not sure what "average" engine means - this engine is very peppy, and can get the Clubbie movin with the best of them - especially when I "drive it like I stole it MODE", i.e., sport button!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM
tdiguy
1st Gear
I took the "Strategic Vision" survey today, and there was not a single question about how well I liked the car. Very strange.....what made me buy it, why i chose my dealer, what other cars did I look at, what do i want on my next car, but nothing specific about this car.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:35 PM
markfm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tdiguy
I took the "Strategic Vision" survey today, and there was not a single question about how well I liked the car. Very strange.....what made me buy it, why i chose my dealer, what other cars did I look at, what do i want on my next car, but nothing specific about this car.
Same here. Got the invite yesterday. They wanted to know the cars I cross-shopped and why I choose the MINI over those other cars. Not a single question about build, quality, problems, etc...

Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 PM
dkamp
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally convinced the Clubman was One of my Best decisions I have made.
(This is my Second Mini one of my other great decisions)
You guys are correct the Barn doors are addicting, extreamly handy and happen to be Cool. The center is not a hinderance (If you can learn to Move your eyes or head and look into One of the three Mirrors )
alot of VAN's, Suburban's, and SUV's have a center column similar.
Wassup wit dat?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
I have to say that the split from the barn doors is a hindrance of sorts. If you look back you have to focus your sight to one of the two sides. If you don't your eyesight is naturally split because of it. Of course this can be overcome with the side mirrors or focusing your sight on one barn door window as opposed to the pair of them.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 PM
johnhardy1
1st Gear
Yeah it's the same with me. When driving home the day of delivery I noticed the split rear windows. Since then I havent even noticed it. Actually the only vision problem I have is when Im directly under a stop light and have to crane my neck to see it change to green.
Im ordering a "LightInSight" now. Reviews say it works well...looks like I'll have to wait "2-3 weeks" to find out!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 PM
ebh
2nd Gear
being tall, my rear view mirror creates a much worse blind spot than the barn doors. Really annoying. Gotta duck if I'm making fast right turns to make sure nothing is darting out at me. Barn doors are totally fine.

edit: btw, I really like the LightInSight. Simple idea that really works well.

Last edited by ebh; 07-22-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM
snofl8k
Neutral
I really enjoyed reading through this thread. While I don't appreciate some of the mixed reviews on our mini's and the potential negative comments, I guess these cars are not for everyone. I for one am very thankful we didn't purchase an easy to see out of the back, window switch on the door BORING, BORING vehicle. We looked at some very competant vehicles but not one of them had any pizazz, character or whatever you want to classify it as. Sure there are defintely some "quirks" to our vehicles, but nothing that I have found to be disturbing. On the other side of the balance sheet, we have a car that is truly fun to drive, begs to be "driven" while being fairly economical and quite a competent hauler in clubman form. No survey results will take the smile off my face when I get in ours and push that start button. Motor ON!

Quick Reply: R55 Who knows what to believe, anymore!?!