R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Would you buy a Clubman if you didn't need the extra space?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:43 PM
artfulmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy a Clubman if you didn't need the extra space?

Clubman owners, did you buy a Clubman because you needed the extra cargo/back seat space? Would you have preferred a hatchback if you didn't need the extra space?

Last edited by artfulmini; 04-06-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Swisskidd
1st Gear
I bought mine for the extra space it has available. However I prefere the looks of the Clubman over the looks of a Hatchback anyway.
If you drive them both side by side (wife has a 2008 Hatchback), you will notice the extra weight of the Clubman. The Hatchback runs a little better due to the lack of 200 or so pounds.
Bottom line; the next MINI will be a Clubman again (space needed or not!!)
Happy Motoring.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I almost bought a Clubman but didn't need the extra space or all those extra doors so no Clubman for me...

Old 04-04-2009, 10:31 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
When we first looked at the clubman I did not like the look of the clubman, but over time it has really grown on me. Now I would definitely get the clubman over the coupe.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:40 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
My daughter was turning 16 and we had to get her a car. Not wanting an additional car note, I had to sell my '07 CR-V(family car) which I loved and the MC(fun weekend car) so we could get her an '08 Civic. So since I had to make my family car and weekend car one car, the Clubman worked perfectly. Since we are paying so much in taxes, I don't know if I will be able to get a Crossman that I was planning on getting when they are released. We will see....

Old 04-05-2009, 12:30 AM
KandyRedCoi
3rd Gear
answer is NO...but just in case i end up needing more room later on, at least i know i can get a clubman

Old 04-05-2009, 07:12 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Small station wagons have always appealed to me, much more utility and practicality than your average small sedan. And, as a teenager, I was keen on the fact that the back seats would fold down and provide a little love nest for me and my sweeties.

Nowadays (at 53 yrs. old), those attributes are still important but I must admit that my wife and I have yet to "break-in" my Clubbie. But, bless her heart, she has agreed to do the do when the appropriate times arrives. What a gal, huh?!!

The main reason I preferred the Clubbie over the regluar Mini is the extra wheelbase. It provides a much better ride quality and really helps to smooth out our state-forsaken roads around here. However, I'm not sold on the barn doors. I would have preferred a simple hatch, perhaps with a separate opening window as my Wife's Matrix has. IMHO, that is the ideal setup in terms of usability, reduced cost of manufacture, and better rearward visibility.

Put a nice hatchback on the Clubbie and you have the world's most practical and fun-to-drive car. Period.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Answer is "no" here, too. No point in the added weight if it's not needed. I adapted to coupes years ago, so I'm fine w/ that. I am very glad MINI has a Clubman, though, for those who have more pets, people, or stuff to transport. In this case, the added access is a big plus, too!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I chose the Clubman for a number of reasons. The space for the times you want to bring a 3rd or 4th passenger and the times when you need a bit more room to cart things around. But reviews I read also indicated that the Clubman smooths out the ride a bit better for long drives and so that was another reason I went with the Clubman.

The Clubman styling is not that it is bad, it is just not traditional styling of the Mini-Cooper...at least from the rear seats back. Once you get over that, the styling grows on you. It's a very nice car and I wind up lugging a bunch of stuff around considering my Home Depot stops, sailboat supplies and projects that I am always working on. So, when I need it , the extra space is great.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:53 AM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't really need the extra space but figured it might come in handy (it has). The main reason I chose the Clubman was for the difference in ride. I don't mind the barn doors; I think they are kind of neat in a way. I do wish it had a Range Rover-style tailgate instead though.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
I don't really need the additional space, however it will be nice to have when I do need it. I too really like the lines of the Clubman - well done on MINI's part. After having 3 MINI hardtop models over the last 7 years, it will be a refreshing change from the norm . The barn doors are cool.

The Clubman may weigh more and offer slightly slower acceleration, however the handling/ride balance is better IMHO. The Clubman models have less weight on the front wheels and more on the rear - better F/R weight distribution. Plus the wheelbase is longer and the car is just a bit more settled over the bumps with equal handling.

After spending time behind the wheel of all 3 Clubman varieties, I really only noticed the added length when pulling out of the dealer lot and when looking through the rear view mirror to see the barn doors. The car was squeezed between 2 other MINIs and I had to be careful not to clip the MINI next to me!

Old 04-05-2009, 11:27 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by rlw
But, bless her heart, she has agreed to do the do when the appropriate times arrives. What a gal, huh?!!
Jeep GC's are great for that . I'm not so sure my Mini would work but you're got me thinking about it
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
My daughter was turning 16 and we had to get her a car.
We outfitted 5 kids with their first cars between 2002-2006. Good kids, none of them drink, party, stay out late (even still). Every car was involved in an accident(s) in the first year, mostly minor stuff with body damage, all but one their fault, 2 or 3 damaged other vehicles too. Kids hit stuff in their first year of driving because they don't look around enough and get distracted. What I learned: don't get a kid a nice car where you feel like you have to get the bumper fixed when they run into something. If you do you will pay $250-300/month for insurance for an older car for 2 years+, trust me.
My wife wants the Clubman to be her next car. She got a Chevy wagon as her first car that she picked out and it wasn't cool then, she just likes them.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
I wanted the extra space, the golf clubs will not fit in the regular MINI! I like the barn doors, I can tail sit and put my golf shoes on with ease (the hatch wouldn't work).
The MINI clubman meets my other needs as well, sporty, quick, awesome gas mileage (I kept by F150 for yard chores), and is really FUN to drive. I really isn't a "stationwagon" it's more of an extended MINI.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:10 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
TheBigNewt, my daughter has already backed into someone and gotten both a speeding and a parking ticket. She also parked her car in her grandmother's driveway in an area where we know not to park and grandmother backed into it. Oh, my daughter also hit a curb which required rim repair and tire replacement. I really feel for you with 5!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:26 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
My daughter is a good driver, now, but she gingerly pulled into a supermarket parking place with her Aunt and then hit the gas instead of the brake. Also, pulled into the garage at an angle and put a 36 inch dent/scrape down the right side of the car. She came in sheepishly and said, "Dad, I scratched the car."

Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mrmagoo
...it's more of an extended MINI.

Now that I have a Clubman, it might be hard to go back to the smaller MINI but I probably would if I didn't need this extended version because the hatchback is so appealing. I will agree that the ride is much smoother on the Clubman. I am really very happy that I bought the Clubman. It's great to drive and functions are our main vehicle.

Also really like the barn doors, even though at first I was not sure about them.

As for the way the Clubman handles - this new automatic is soooooooo much better than the CVT.

If practicality were not at all in the picture and I could have two MINIs, one would be a convertible.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:10 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Otra

If practicality were not at all in the picture and I could have two MINIs, one would be a convertible.

We have two MINIs for our daily drivers, and they're both convertibles. Honestly, we haven't had too many instances where something we needed to carry fell in the gap between what a convertible will hold and what a Clubman would hold. And for the really big things, we have a 25-year old Dodge Truck that gets driven about five times a year just for that sort of thing.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:19 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The extra space is nice, but I don't need it. My coupe is great just as it is.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
I bought it for the space for kids and such, but now that I look at it, I think the coupe is ugly. So I will probably buy a new Clubman forever, instead of dropping back down when the kids grow up.

The extra space is just so usable.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
We have two MINIs for our daily drivers, and they're both convertibles...
Scott, that's great!

If I didn't have any offspring or dogs or live in the northeast where it is not always top down weather (unless one is certifiable like my beloved MINI convertible friend is ) I might be more tempted.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted the extra space, the golf clubs will not fit in the regular MINI! I like the barn doors, I can tail sit and put my golf shoes on with ease (the hatch wouldn't work).
The MINI clubman meets my other needs as well, sporty, quick, awesome gas mileage (I kept by F150 for yard chores), and is really FUN to drive. I really isn't a "stationwagon" it's more of an extended MINI.
I'm surprised. I saw a guy at a Best Buy cramming an LCD TV into a base Cooper! I didn't know you can't get a golf club caddy into the trunk of the smaller car. I bought the Clubman partly because of the space and I do like the idea of double doors. However, if there's anything I don't like, it's the lack of two Club doors. Wish they had done that. It's annoying running around the car to access the back seat.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:59 AM
asaulo1
5th Gear
Will a golf bag fit in a clubman with the rear seats up? I had an R53 S and would have to have half the rear seat down to get my clubs in.... I was wondering this with the clubman. Pics would be even better

Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 AM
artfulmini
2nd Gear
my golf clubs are always in the back of my coupe... I need 1 back seat down for my golf bag, placed at an angle, and both seats down if I carry my push cart... definitely limited to a twosome! Not sure there's any benefit to the clubman just for golf! How many bags can you get in with the back seats in use? -- probably none.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
If it was just me--no kids--and I was still in my early 30's, I would go for the coupe, but that's not who I am anymore; 45 + two kids. The Clubman feels grown-up, fun, and cool, and gives me the flexability of a usable back seat while still providing a nimble ride.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
danny 1940
2nd Gear
I wanted a Cooper since they arrived in the US. The Cooper just did not work for my needs. As soon as I saw the Clubman I went for the extra space. Most summer weekends my wife and I go to the shore accompanied by our 70lb pooch. Wife, luggage and dog-no way in a Cooper. I must say the looks of the Clubman have not grown on me. I definitely prefer a Cooper S to the Clubman S for looks. Dan

Quick Reply: R55 Would you buy a Clubman if you didn't need the extra space?