R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 am stuck with this schmuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Casey Jones
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am I stuck with this schmuck?

Last Friday my husband and our 2 children headed out to the OBX for our family vacation. I was super stoked to find out that the Winston Salem, NC Mini Dealer was on the way, and that my husband agreed to let me stop off and check out any Clubmans they might have on the lot. (as we've only seen one, and it was in a grocery parking lot)

We pulled into the dealership, right up to the front door. I got out to check out the yellow Clubman parked out front. My husband stayed in the car with with girls. after about 5 minutes, I decided to go inside, because no one had come out to see if we needed help. when I opened the door, a guy in an un-tucked t-shirt, and sloppy khaki pants with tennis shoes walks up to me. He says, "Hey! are you ready to write me a check?" I looked at him like he had a bowling ball for a brain. I asked, if I could sit in a clubman, or if he had one I could check out, as all the ones I saw had a sold ticket on the windshield.

He said, "yeah, you can buy this one if you want". again, I looked at him like he was "f'ing stupid!" WTH? can I not just look at the car?
then he started grilling me about wether or not I had spoken to anyone. did I have an MA's name? (basically could he claim me as his own) when I told him No, that I hadn't spoken to anyone yet, he got all perky, and yelled across the dealership, "hey, do we have a Clubby this lady can drive?" he never asked my name, or introduced himself. the lady at the reception desk said, "I don't think so." I said to the salesman, "I don't have time to drive one.(explained that we were on way to the beach) I'd just like to look at it up close, and maybe sit in the driver's seat for a moment."

I really didn't want to even talk to this jerk. but he followed me around, asking me questions. I walked over to a Hot Chocolate Clubman and opened the door, (which was completely covered in greasy hand prints, and fingerprints all over the window) while I was looking he asked me if I had my configuration with me. he could type it in and take my deposit of $500 and have my car for me in 6 weeks.

I said? "really? everyone I've talked with said 12-14 weeks?" he then said, "Oh you want an S?" I said, "I'm pretty sure I do. but I don't want to do anything until Christmas." to which he basically walked away from me, and then came back with a brochure and his card. and then he walked away.

I was floored. absolutely floored at this guys attitude, and the way he was dressed. needless to say, I won't be going back to this dealership to order my car, for fear of having to deal with this guy again.

Last edited by Casey Jones; 08-19-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Ahhhh FLOW mini of Winston-Salem.

My wife did not like them either when she went in 2005. Sorry to hear that they have not improved their attitude.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:16 AM
nclin
2nd Gear
What a diasppointing experience! Go to another dealer. Not all MAs are created equally.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 AM
caulyne
4th Gear
Call the dealer, ask for the sales manager's email, and explain the sort of customer service you expect from an MA to get the "mini experience" and that this person did not in any way represent that. Ask for them to match you with a better MA, then talk to that person on the phone. Get a second bad vibe, then use a different dealer. I didn't know I could have switched MAs until AFTER delivery when I complained to the sales manager.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Casey Jones
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nclin
What a diasppointing experience! Go to another dealer. Not all MAs are created equally.
it really was disappointing. thankfully I've been given the name of a very nice, helpful MA in Charlotte. that I will contact when I'm ready to order.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:50 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
There are 80 some dealers in the US, you are free to use anyone you desire.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:54 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please call Joe Culp or Lee Davis at Flow and share your experience with them. I have bought cars from both Flow Mini and Flow BMW and this is not their usual way of doing business, neither will descend upon you in the lot but are usually very friendly and professional. You also could not ask for a dealership to do more for Mini owners (Rallies, track days, etc) than Flow Mini. They need to be made aware of how you were treated.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 AM
rikmeister
3rd Gear
send him some schmuckers raspberry jelly with a note. some schmuckers for a schmuck.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Otra
6th Gear
If you have the energy, contact the sales manager and tell him/her about your experiences there. You'd actually be doing the dealership a huge favor. Otherwise, be happy you didn't waste anymore time with them and that you had a great week on the OBX. We were down there, too, and it was wonderful weather.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread has been sent to the manager of both the BMW and MINI dealership in WS.

I'm sorry your experience was this bad. If there is anything I can do to make it up to you, please contact me.

Mark Vogler
Founder - Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club

Old 08-18-2008, 12:04 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
You're from Lake Norman, its a 30 minute drive to Hendrick and they aren't a-holes.

I had the exact experience one time at Carolina VW in Charlotte. Guy was a complete slob and very obnoxious. I walked right past him and told the sales manager I wanted someone else to help me. I can't believe what passes for a salesmen these days, but then, with the markup in cars dwindling, this is to be expected as it seems a car saleman is a transient job these days. Very sad.

P.S. Please don't let this devolve into a "Dealers make plenty of money" argument. I know they do, but anyone who thinks they make the same markup they did 20 years ago is crazy. Cars are not the big ticket item they once were, which is why they harass you with extended warranties and other money makers.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Casey Jones
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
If you have the energy, contact the sales manager and tell him/her about your experiences there. You'd actually be doing the dealership a huge favor. Otherwise, be happy you didn't waste anymore time with them and that you had a great week on the OBX. We were down there, too, and it was wonderful weather.
was your Mini parked outside the coffee shop at the Kitty Hawk Kites store on Thursday? I drooled on a BRG convert. My husband had to drag me away

Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Flow MINI Manager
Neutral
Response from general manager of Flow MINI

As the general manager of Flow MINI, I want to apologize for the poor treatment you received by our staff. This is absolutely not the way we treat our customers. We try to treat everyone as if they were guests in our home. We are very fortunate to be selling such a wonderful product, but we should never take for granted how we treat our guests.

I am using your experience as an example of how NOT to treat someone who is visiting our dealership. Again, I aplogize for the terrible way you were handled at Flow MINI. As a manager, I appreciate your letting us know about your experience, because it could have happened to someone else if I had not had the opportunity to correct this behavior going forward. We pride ourselves on how we treat our customers, but when we fall short, we need to know, so that we don't make the same mistake again. Please feel free to contact me personally if there is anything more I can do to make up for your poor treatment. I look forward to the opportunity to correct our mistake and make the purchase of a MINI a pleasurable experience, as it should be.

J Smith
General Manager
Flow MINI
800-467-5003

Old 08-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Nope, not me - but wish it had been!

We drove our aged Volvo down due too much stuff and no roof rack on the Clubman - but that's another story.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Yes, I second going to Hendrick in Charlotte. I worked w/ Aimee Byerley and she was VERY polite and professional. I actually enjoy going by there because everyone is so nice and pleasant to deal with.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Calicoskies
3rd Gear
We bought from Flow Mini and had a great experience from start to finish. Our MA was Cynthia and she answered all our questions and gave me honest answers and opinions when I asked about things. We showed up on a Saturday with our config ready to go, after emailing her a few times. Our order went about 4-6wks faster than we were told, got our Clubbie July 28, order went in June 9.

We live in Raleigh, so we drove 120mi to Flow. We were always treated very kindly, never saw anyone being unprofessional. Delivery day was great too, car was detailed very nicely, Cynthia gave us a run thru of all the features, a full gas tank, and plenty of goodies.

We can't wait till we can buy another Mini, and will certainly return to Flow.
Sorry you had a bad experience.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Turtle, if you go back to the same dealer, ask for the sales manager, who's probably 25 and say you don't want to deal with the other fool. Tell the Sales Manager why.

The first dealer I went to had two sales dudes ready to get into a brawl over some small subject. I had a discussion with the GM.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
featherblu
1st Gear
Had an apointment to test drive a MCC this Wednesday at Flow in Winston - happened to get some free time last Saturday and just showed up unannounced. Frank DeStasio made time for me and my wife, fit us into what seemed to be a busy schedule for him. We test drove their demo Clubman, Frank was knowledgable, friendly, polite, - overall very professional (just for the record - he is in his mid 20's) - made suggestions but we never felt pushed or pressured. Every car dealership has it's obnoxious salesman, always have. Call the manager as others have said - you would be doing the next tire-kicker a favor. If you don't like who your dealing with - ask for someone else. Oh, I almost forgot -- we ordered a Pepper White MCC and are waiting for a production number!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:46 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Frank is a great MINI salesperson. I have known him almost 2 years and knew he was the one I'd buy my next MINI from. He called every week with the whereabouts of TWISTER 2.

Back on subject:
The General Manager J. Smith of FLOW MINI ask me relay a message to fertile-turtle this morning with his apology that this should never again happen to anyone visiting FLOW MINI again.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:00 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
*shaking head in disbelief*

Hendrick will do you right...promise!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
We just ordered a Clubman S from Flow. Our experience was great. Drew our MA spent 3 hours with us to test drive 3 different Mini's and place our order. Flow had a Clubman S, Cooper and Cooper S to test drive. Great buying experience. We had talked to Hendrick's in Charlotte and they had a Clubman S in route to the dealer. We asked them to call us when it arrived so we could look at it. They called us when it arrived but they sold it before we got there and would not even let us sit in it. I guess all dealers have their good and bad moments.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
One thing I forgot to add. When I was first looking for my Clubman (Hoping to buy off the lot - eventually ended up ordering to get what I wanted), I emailed three seperate people at Flow regarding cars on thier lot and NEVER heard from anyone! That's when I decided to stay local and just order my car from Hendrick in Charlotte.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:36 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
I know they don't sit at their desks waiting on emails. They are always answering phone calls and helping walk in customers, just like at Hendrick.

I'm sorry you got no response from anyone at FLOW

Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TWISTER
I know they don't sit at their desks waiting on emails. They are always answering phone calls and helping walk in customers, just like at Hendrick.

I'm sorry you got no response from anyone at FLOW
I never got good email return service either, which I find inexcusable since they all have blackberrys. No one is busy for the entire shift and cannot return emails.

I know I bought my Suburban entirely over email so, I wouldn't ignore emails if I were an MA. Some of us know what we want and don't want to waste time coming in and blah blah. So call me when I need to sign, THEN I'll come by.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Calicoskies
3rd Gear
Just wanted to say that me and my husband got good email response from Flow. Our initial email with questions about the order process and such was answered next day, all other emails were answered usually the same day, maybe once was the next morning.

Quick Reply: R55 am stuck with this schmuck