R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Just Can't Accept It

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM
IMNO4RE
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Can't Accept It

Got word that my Clubman was delayed at the port because there was a problem with a plastic panel on the hood when it arrived at the port and they had to order a replacement piece. I decided that I don't want to accept a new car if it wasn't perfect from the factory. Did it before and completely regretted it. Think I did the right thing? I waited three months for this car already and got a good deal on it.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It depends on what the nature of the damage/repair is. If the repair involved significant damage repair and painting, I'd be hesitant about accepting delivery, but if it's just a plastic panel, I don't see how the car could come out of the experience any the worse for wear.

My car had to have all of the VIN labels replaced at the VDC, as well as having a new VIN engraved on the shock tower, but I didn't have any problem with it since the change was well-documented and didn't involved anything like structural or paint work.

I also just found out that a small scratch on the front bumper was repaired while the car was at the VDC, but I've never noticed anything amiss with the paint on the bumper in the 18 months I've owned the car. If it wasn't for the fact that a Service Advisor ran my car's history so I could have it for my records, I'd have never known.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
a plastic panel? what's the big deal

but if it really bothers you then you have to do what you think is best

Old 06-17-2008, 02:57 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by IMNO4RE
Got word that my Clubman was delayed at the port because there was a problem with a plastic panel on the hood when it arrived at the port and they had to order a replacement piece. I decided that I don't want to accept a new car if it wasn't perfect from the factory. Did it before and completely regretted it. Think I did the right thing? I waited three months for this car already and got a good deal on it.
Find out exactly which panel and take it from there. If it's just a defect in the plastic you're not looking at an earth shattering event after all.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:29 AM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try to talk your dealer into a free loaner until the car arrives!

Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I think you should wait and see the car in person BEFORE you reject it. It's a plastic piece, not a metal body part.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:44 AM
Fiji.Chan
1st Gear
You did the right thing. Don't accept a less than perfect product.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd strongly suggest waiting for the piece - you're going to wait longer for a new car and there are no guarantees that one will be "perfect."

A plastic piece is a minor piece of equipment, it's not like it fell off the ship/truck and was damaged. Who knows, maybe the plastic piece is a feature improvement.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:03 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I had an entire rear bumper replaced at the VDC due to damage in transit. That was already my second order, having rejected my first because it didn't come with the ordered MFSW. Not a problem, the bumper is nothing but a piece of plastic, the damage was minor, and as opposed to fixing it, they replaced the whole thing. Couldn't tell it a bit. Really looked the car over when it came and nothing wrong. When you ship over the high seas, from time to time some minor damage is going to occur. I wasn't going to wait all over again for a third order.

My dealer only gets 8 an allotment of 8 clubmans a month, so if you reject it, someone I'm sure will ****** it right up.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:16 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Plastic panel on the hood... what is that? Scoop? Cowl vent? What else could it be? Either of those would be very minor, IMHO... not worth declining a car over... most folks have no idea how many boo-boos are "fixed" on their car before they take delivery.... pretty common...

Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 AM
IMNO4RE
Neutral
Thanks for the feedback. The dealer said it was a panel last week and yesterday it was a lever. Like many folks here suggested, taking a look at it first in person is probably the best thing to do before completely rejecting it.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Reject it:0 make someone else very happy!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:46 AM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Oh, geez! I don't want to think about going through this. My car will be on a ship next week -- I'll be a nervous wreck.

How did you find out there was damage? When do they tell you?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. The dealer said it was a panel last week and yesterday it was a lever. Like many folks here suggested, taking a look at it first in person is probably the best thing to do before completely rejecting it.
Yah I would never reject it over an issue with a plastic piece on the hood.

I can totally understand turning it down if there were engine or transmission problems as the problems would probably keep popping up throughout ownership....but from the sounds of it, one of the little plastic pieces might have snapped and all they have to do is replace it and it will be JUST like new without any future worries

Old 06-17-2008, 07:22 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
imperfections at delivery.... here my story

If makes you feel better ... I paid EXTRA for the special GP delivery (OK hotel, dinners and cocktails were included but.. it was for the GP delivery )...
all the new GPs were perfectly lined up and big disappointment.. mine had a cracked rear bumper.
Big apologies from MINI USA - Jim McD himself and down the line of all the big shots at MINI USA -

It took two months + to get the new one (they couldn't figure out where to get it from UK, Italy, Germany..)

Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 AM
reACTION
2nd Gear
if they're not willing to budge on price i would not accept the car. Sure shipping damage can occur but they should at least knock off some cash for it being an inconvenience and damaged to boot no matter how 'minor.'

Old 06-17-2008, 07:49 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by reACTION
if they're not willing to budge on price i would not accept the car. Sure shipping damage can occur but they should at least knock off some cash for it being an inconvenience and damaged to boot no matter how 'minor.'
The reality is that they're probably not going to budge on price. Damages in shipping occur. Most manufacturers (inc BMW) will not disclose up to a threshold (IIRC 3%) of damage to the vehicle - this doesn't sound like it's even close to that!

Kudos to the dealership for disclosing the information but make sure that you're able to inspect the repair before taking ownership.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some statistics are in order...

How many parts are on a car? What's the average defect level on a part? Do some math and you'll find it's probably close to impossible to have a "perfect" car.

Now they go through QC to keep delivered defects down, but even the best car brands don't get a "perfect" score in the JD Powers initial quality survey...

All that said, I'd find out what's being dealt with EXACTLY before I made any big decisions....

Matt

Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Arthuralda
2nd Gear
I agree with the general sentiment here. Damage in shipping is very common. For stock cars, they just get repaired and the buyer never knows anything about it. I like the fact that you dealer informed you that there was a problem. Get all the details - If it's minor - have fun with your car.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:48 AM
jaridp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rexicon
The reality is that they're probably not going to budge on price. Damages in shipping occur. Most manufacturers (inc BMW) will not disclose up to a threshold (IIRC 3%) of damage to the vehicle - this doesn't sound like it's even close to that!

Kudos to the dealership for disclosing the information but make sure that you're able to inspect the repair before taking ownership.
+1 I agree. Be glad that the damage is not more serious. They push THOUSANDS of cars thru the VPC and there has been much worse.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
A plastic panel on the hood certainly doesn't sound significant. There's only so many of them and if it's only a plastic panel (as opposed to sheet metal), it's probably nothing more than a crack in the plastic. Of course, you can inspect the area closely when your car arrives at the dealership.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM
PWClubman
2nd Gear
My last new car purchase - a 2003 SAAB - was damaged in shipping. I was not informed of this, 2 years later the paint on the right front fender started to peel where they did the repair. Saab paid for the re-re-painting, but of course, after two years in the Florida sun it was almost impossible to match the paint. So, if your repair involves any painting - reject it! (Even though I carefuly inspected before delivery, it was impossible to see the hidden damage).

Last edited by PWClubman; 06-17-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:28 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A simple plastc part can be replaced (usually), as mentioned above. As long as it is replaced with the proper factory part, I don't see the big deal. If there was a respray of a painted part that I knew about, I'd think about having it checked very carefully by a professional before taking delivery, but a replacement wouldn't stop me from taking delivery by any means.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:00 AM
ucbrother
4th Gear
I went through a similar (slightly worse) experience, but my damage was a scratch on the paint during shipment that had to be repaired. Like you, I didn't really like the idea of accepting a car that wasn't perfect from the factory, but after a little research, I found that Mini has fully capable manufacturing facilities on or near the ports that the vehicles arrive to the U.S., and were perfectly capable of restoring the car to factory standards. After thinking about it I decided to accept the car after seeing it and realizing it could have just as easily been scratched in the factory after the original paint job. My dealer was up front about the problem, and was very accommodating in the form of throwing in quite a few freebies that I was going to buy anyway, so it worked out. I say all this to say that you might want to hold off on flat-out rejecting the car over a piece of plastic, especially since you've probably gone through the anguish of tracking your Mini across the pond.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:11 AM
astra
4th Gear
THis is why they have a VPC to begin with. IF everything got shipped perfectly and left the factory in perfect condition every time, there would be no need..

BTW.. You didn't mention whether you ordered an "S"... but.. How are you going to react when your hood scoop starts to warp??

Quick Reply: R55 Just Can't Accept It