R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 To S or Not to S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:52 PM
eviedeevie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To S or Not to S?

Howdy.

So... the Clubman S vs. the Not S Clubman.

The regular Clubman gets slightly better fuel economy ratings.

The Clubman S is prolly more thrilling to drive, perhaps also gets you out of tight spots in a more sprightly manner (I'm picturing that moment when you've got to stand on the gas to avoid getting smooshed into a concrete barrier by an 18-wheeler).

The not-S is also a bit less expensive.

So that's how I compare them in my head right now. I'm pondering which to get and worrying that I might not be able to drive one or the other in order to compare and contrast; dealerships can't seem to promise I'll be able to test-drive at all!

So what are your opinions, MINI peeps?

Old 05-23-2008, 04:56 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to go with the S.

I've driven them both, and there's *nothing* like that kick in the pants when the turbo kicks in!

Old 05-23-2008, 05:00 PM
kgardnez
4th Gear
I have an MCS (super)... and with my commute I would buy the non-S next time for the mileage.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:02 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
if you want to drive them just to compare power why not drive a MC and a MCS ( non-clubman) they should have a few of them around........ My vote? S

Old 05-23-2008, 05:03 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Old 05-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Well, of course the S drivers will say that! This is my third non S, and I love it. I can easily go 80 plus mph, without knowing it. I have no problem merging into traffic on a "parkway" - The Hutchinson River Parkway - that was built for the Ford Model T, or flying down the New Jersey Turnpike... I've never had any problems keeping up on MINI runs or getting out of the way of insane drivers in the NY/Metro area - and believe me they are legion!

Test drive them both, and go with what you like the best. They are both excellent MINIs.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:08 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
S with out a doubt! Drove the standard the other day for a loaner and boy was it a slug.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:38 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Get the S. The difference is worth it and you will only lose 2-3MPG over the Cooper model.

Power delivery is butter smooth and fast.

Resale value is better too on the S.

The S is a no brainer, especially in the Clubman.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:47 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
SSSSSSSSS all the way! wheeeeeeeeee, its a blast to drive! Feel like a race car driver toodling around in mine

Old 05-23-2008, 05:57 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Evie, it depends on what you're driving now.
An increase in power with a Clubman S probably will still get much better mileage than you have now.
How many peeps do you expect to be carting around most of the time.

Go with your gut and move before the order wait gets to be a LONG time.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:05 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I drove a loaner Cooper Clubman auto a while ago. Generally it was nice and peepy. But out in the open road you immediately feel the difference between the standard engine and the S model. No comparison.

If much of your driving is slow, congested city jaunts, probably the Cooper will suffice. But if you are going to drive quite a bit out in the interstate, the S is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and can recognize why some folks would like the Cooper. Not a bad car at all. But once you are used to driving the S, the Cooper does not feel as powerful as its forced induction brother.

The downside of the Cooper Clubman is that it is almost 200 pounds heavier than the standard Cooper hatchback. However, MINI did not give the Cooper Clubman additional HP or torque to cope with the extra curb weight. While the 118HP standard engine might be more than adequate in the coupe, it is just adequate in the Cooper Clubman.

If your objective with this purchase is to save as much money as possible and maximum fuel economy, then go with the Cooper. But if you can stretch your finances a little more and get more for your $$$, the Clubman S is a very deal IMHO.

I was dead set on getting a Cooper Clubman Auto, but changed the order a couple of weeks after the dealer took it in. Paid the $2K difference for the S and we are glad we did.

Evaluate your driving environment, your wants/needs your bank account and take it from there.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Yeah, what ClubmanS said.
I considered what he's talking about.

Use the MiniUSA configurator to figure out what options you'd want.
Example: Sports seats are NOT standard on the Clubman, but are on the S.
That's $250 of the $2k difference. What else might you need or not need.
I considered the Clubman, but went with the S and have ZERO regrets.
I never even had a second thought.
Want and Need matter.
Find a way to DRIVE BOTH the Clubman and S.

I spent more time agonizing over the color than anything else.

Proud Clubman adopter of 11 days and still yelling, "WEEEEEEEEEE!"

Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
At the risk of sounding like a Clubman S zealot, to me personally, the Cooper Clubman is not such a good value versus the hatchback models.

Back in 2005, I paid $24K OTD for my then brand new, custom ordered 2005 R53 S. In december when we ordered the Cooper Clubman Auto, between the sports seats, 16" rims/runflats, auto tranny, MFSW, front/rear fog lights and metallic paint, we were looking at $26K MSRP before taxes and fees.

I just could not get comfortable with that deal. Heck I had paid $24K OTD for a Cooper S 3 years earlier and now I was looking at paying almost $27k OTD for a Cooper Clubman with just a few options and a 118HP engine?

I said no way!

The net difference between the Cooper Clubman auto we had ordered and a similarly equipped Cooper S Clubman was exactly $2K. I gladly changed the other and paid the difference. Worth every penny of it.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 PM
vaper
2nd Gear
I'm coming form an '06 MCS. I went with the non-S Clubman. Each and every time that my S was in for service, I found myself somehow enjoying the ['07 or '08] Cooper loaners way more than the S loaners. I test drove the Cooper Clubman when they first came out and really, really, loved it. So much so that I never even bothered to take the Clubman S out for a drive. A few weeks later, I went back for a second test drive and came away even more certain than before.

I just got my production number a few days ago. I can't wait.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:39 PM
eviedeevie
1st Gear
guilt and 2K

Originally Posted by DragonWagon
I spent more time agonizing over the color than anything else.

Proud Clubman adopter of 11 days and still yelling, "WEEEEEEEEEE!"
Well, Dragsie, your silver-and-black baby sure is gorgeous. I am definitely struggling with the color choices, too. I feel like I need to buy several of these cars so I can drive the one that suits my mood/destination/passengers.

Hmm.

A very interesting thread with lots and lots of helpful advice. In an ideal world, I'd get to drive both versions and then make my choice. I'm not sure that'll happen, though.

Still, it seems clear to me that the worst thing that could happen is that I get the non-S version and later wish I had more power. If I get the S, the worst that can happen is that I sometimes imagine the baby seals I could have saved by getting a more fuel efficient car--a wee bit of guilt now and then seems not such a high price to pay. Er, guilt and 2K.

I think I'ma get the S.

Cuz I'm sexy like that.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:44 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Get real about the fuel economy. Say that to yourself. The S has great mileage. Remember that.
Now, what colors are you thinking about. A garage matters.
I have covered parking and north Texas is loaded with pollen and west Texas dirt.

I almost bought a PWhite Cooper S, but flipped to a SSilver/Bk Clubman S.
I haven't filled the tank yet, but I can already say I'm averaging over 30 on hwy/city driving. The question is how good the mileage will be.

Red/Black & either Blue combo are great with a garage.
SSilver hides the dust and dirt.

PAY THE $500 FOR COMFORT ACCESS and @250 for radio controls on the steering wheel.
Imagine NOT having to use your key to start the car, just having it with you. That's a priceless hassle avoided.

Last edited by DragonWagon; 05-23-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo...I hate that!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:50 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
I have had both, if you want superior gas mileage (because my '05 BRG NON-s was putting up 37-40 mpg @ 60 MPH highway) go with the non-s. If you are going to keep the car forever, and have a wife that drives like Jeff Gordon, buy the S. The gas mileage is about 4-5 mpg less (I also have now upgraded to a EBM S w/ a white top), but the turbo and supercharged models are far more fun to drive. I just test drove a non-s PW clubman and I found myself putting the gas pedal through the floor 100% of the time and I was in a 35mph zone. GO S OR NOT AT ALL!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Oh puhleeeeeze! You are exaggerating big time. It's one thing to love your extra turbo charged but let's not go overboard on the "35 mph zone" needing the pedal to the metal.

I'm outnumbered but only on this forum. There are many of us proud MCC drivers who will swear allegiance to the mighty and reliable Cooper sans "S" and live to tell about it for many a year.

As the one of the greatest designer/architects said
Less is more.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:13 PM
LarryParker
ClubRed
Hey There, Alot of folks have given you very good advice, drive the cars, and drive them back to back. If they don't have a Clubman, drive a Mini, and a Mini S. Make the choice yourself, but know how they both drive. I have a Clubman S, my last car was a MCS. But I think with the back to back drive you will be able to make up your mind.

Good luck,
Larry

Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Arthuralda
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vaper
I'm coming form an '06 MCS. I went with the non-S Clubman. Each and every time that my S was in for service, I found myself somehow enjoying the ['07 or '08] Cooper loaners way more than the S loaners. I test drove the Cooper Clubman when they first came out and really, really, loved it. So much so that I never even bothered to take the Clubman S out for a drive. A few weeks later, I went back for a second test drive and came away even more certain than before.

I just got my production number a few days ago. I can't wait.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]“I think I’m getting over 30 mpg” That’s what happens when you have the Turbo. You use it. I get 40mpg with my non “S”. My previous car was a 1.8 Turbo Passat. The Clubman feels just as good or better than that car. You should be able to test drive a Cooper “S” and non-“S” for a good comparison. For me – I did not want the Sport suspension that comes with the “S”. I did not want the Run-flats. I wanted a spare tire. I did not care for the Sport seats. Also I did not want to pay the $3500 for stuff I didn’t really want or need. If you want some of that stuff then buying the “S” might be the way to go. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]The extra punch was fun but I was buying a fun commuter car – I’m not racing anyone. I’m smiling the whole time I’m driving and so is anyone that gets to see my cool little car. Obviously you can have what ever you want – Just promise to not become one of these “S” snobs. [/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 05-23-2008, 07:21 PM
hfs3
3rd Gear
I had the opportunity to drive both a Cooper Clubman automatic and a Cooper S Clubman automatic and have to say "go with the S." If the non S already has you wondering if there'll come a time (or two, or three, or...) when it would be nice to have that extra power, you're likely to regret not having chosen the S.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 PM
eviedeevie
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Arthuralda
Obviously you can have what ever you want – Just promise to not become one of these “S” snobs.
All the MINI drivers rock it like a hot pocket, S or non-S.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Sweet! Some of us are stereotyped as "S Snobs." Hilarious.
The only stereotypes I believe in are: Yahama, Sony, Blaupunkt, etc.
Don't hate the "S," hate the game.

You'll decide when you drive both...I did.

Isn't the difference in the two options about $2300, not 3500?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Zugzug
1st Gear
For the same reason that I've never met someone who said, "I wish I'd gotten a smaller TV." I've also never met someone who said "I wish I had gotten a slower car."

Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some people just love the way a Cooper drives, that's all. If you like/prefer it you'll know. If "more power" is any part in your personal equation for fun (your phrase "thrilling to drive" is telling) just get an S. To me, the Cooper has way more than ample power (it is a tuned MINI One), considering the overall configuration of the car. I also personally love being able to max out on mpg!!! It is the perfect car for my driving environs...I've now owned two Coopers!!! As others have said, do the test drive thing to see what you like best. Just know that the driving dynamics for each are a bit different and that owners legitimately choose one or the other for good reasons, even if they may not make perfect sense to some.