R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Daytime running lights - w Xenons

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytime running lights - w Xenons

In my former 1st generations MINIs, I swear the programmable daytime running lights (also w/Xenons) were different from this Clubman's.

When I'm in the Clubman inside the garage and can see the way the headlights hit the wall in front of me, it appears that the running lights when switched to the full on Xenon headlights don't change brightness at all. Am I just imagining this or is this something new in the 2nd generation?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 PM
driveblind
2nd Gear
I just programmed my Clubman with Xenons this weekend to enable the daytime running lights when the car is running. The manual seemed to indicate that the running lights are the same as low beams, which would be consistent with what you're seeing.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks! I swear that in my former MINIs it was not like this, but perhaps this is a 2nd gen thing or I'm losing my eyesight. At least I'm not losing my mind, eh?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:32 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Clubman version of DRL (and maybe the R56 as well) is simply the standard low beams on all the time. As soon as I found out about this I deactivated mine.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
The Clubman version of DRL (and maybe the R56 as well) is simply the standard low beams on all the time. As soon as I found out about this I deactivated mine.
Hey there - just curious on why you deactivated them? Is it due to the cost of replacing the Xenons after prolonged use, or? I may deactivate mine as well based on the feedback. Thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
kavatski
3rd Gear
Yes, it's the same for R56 as well as R55. DRL = low beam, side markers and taillights.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Aha, so I have not lost my mind.

I think that my insurance company gives a discount for daytime running lights - not that they will know if I have mine on or not... I am sorry that they are the low beams of the xenons because they are awfully bright to be used as running lights, or so it seems to me.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
kavatski
3rd Gear
I've parked my Mini with the engine running and walked down the road a ways to see what the Xenon lights look like to oncoming traffic. They're fine - not too bright at all to my eye. My understanding is that HID headlamps can't be run at reduced voltage the way halogens can, so it's full strength or nothing.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Otra
6th Gear
kavatski, good to hear this about the brightness.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds the same as with the R56 Coupe. My understanding is that they are a constant brightness. The low beams are only different from the high beams by a mask that blocks the top of the beam. That's why the low beams have such a sharp cutoff.

I turned my DRL off. The expensive part about Xenons is that the igniter is stressed each time you fire them up. Otherwise, they are supposed to last a longtime. So, if you are running errands and doing a lot of short hops, you are firing the igniters frequently. I'll run the low beams in situations where I think it would improve visibility, such as the sun being behind me on a two lane road.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Interesting about the "igniters". Where did you learn about them? Depending upon how many ignitions are in the life time of a pair of xenons, you're right about not wanting them to fire up every time you take a quick trip...if that's one's driving style. Appreciate your post Robin.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Mantid
2nd Gear
In my R53 Mini, I inquired of my SA about a year ago if the daytime running lights were simply the low beams switched on all the time (Xenon). He said yes, so, taking his word for it, I didn't have them activated, and just turn on the parking lights out of habit now, adding the fog lights (which are pretty bright) if I think it's necessary and, of course, the low beams are always available if I feel the situation requires it as Robin pointed out.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Well, I guess the R50s were different. I miss turning on my headlights and watching them swivel up and level off. Oh well, I'll get used to it.

I am interested to learn more about that igniter deal with the xenons, though.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If anyone wants to learn more about lighting,

hidplanet.com/forums

and

www.danielsternlighting.com

are very helpful sites!

Personally i'm waiting to see what kind of projector I can cram into my stock foglight housing and doing a retrofit. I have several waiting in anticipation

Old 09-08-2008, 05:37 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad I found this thread! I turned on my DRL's yesterday thinking that just the top of my front fogs might light up. Imagine my surprise when then Xenons and all the parking lights came on instead . I have since deactivated. I agree that having the Xenons come on every time you drive the car, will require them to be replaced prematurely. I like the idea of just turning on the parking lights when needed. Thanks as well to Robin about the tip when the sun is behind you. Great idea .

Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 AM
heli_guy
2nd Gear
Hi all,

There are MANY studies on how daytime driving lights improve safety and visibility of vehicles. It is for this reason that it is law in Canada to have them. Personally, I turn on the lights always, so that the rear lights come on as well. I find it very irriating when others do not, as I think it is MUCH easier to see them, so why not add whatever I can so others can see me in my smaller then normal car.

How much shorter are the bulbs going to burn out? My last Mini lasted 3 years with no issues, so are we talking the bulbs are going to burn out after 5.5 years instead of 5.6 or what? Personally, the extra safety is worth it to me!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
SuperGreg, it looks like you have your fog lights on but the rest of your lights off in your sig. picture. Is that correct? If so, how did you do that? When I turn on my fog lights, all the lights come on.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by heli_guy
How much shorter are the bulbs going to burn out? My last Mini lasted 3 years with no issues, so are we talking the bulbs are going to burn out after 5.5 years instead of 5.6 or what? Personally, the extra safety is worth it to me!
That's my question too. How many hours can we expect to get out of the Xenons? If it's over 5,000 hours, then I guess it wouldn't make much of a difference. But if it was a lot lower than that, like 1,000 hours, than I'd be more inclined to leave them off.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Glad I found this thread! I turned on my DRL's yesterday thinking that just the top of my front fogs might light up. Imagine my surprise when then Xenons and all the parking lights came on instead . I have since deactivated. I agree that having the Xenons come on every time you drive the car, will require them to be replaced prematurely. I like the idea of just turning on the parking lights when needed. Thanks as well to Robin about the tip when the sun is behind you. Great idea .
I'm sure you know the AZ laws, but in some states it is a moving violation to drive with only the Park lights on. If not a fine, certainly 'probable cause' if they wanted to stop someone for something else.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:45 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
I'm sure you know the AZ laws, but in some states it is a moving violation to drive with only the Park lights on. If not a fine, certainly 'probable cause' if they wanted to stop someone for something else.
I wonder which states. Some auto manufacturers, like GM & Chrysler, have made the front park lights the DRLs. And then they blink when you use a blinker.

And the Chrysler products that use the regular headlights for DRLs have this weird issue where one headlight will turn off if you use the blinker.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tim781996
I wonder which states. Some auto manufacturers, like GM & Chrysler, have made the front park lights the DRLs. And then they blink when you use a blinker.

And the Chrysler products that use the regular headlights for DRLs have this weird issue where one headlight will turn off if you use the blinker.
State DMV rules don't care what lights are on or off during the DAY, the rules are for nighttime, usually dusk to dawn, and they require that low-beam headlamps be on. Some states also require that low-beam headlamps be on if it's raining. Since many cars don't have the DRL feature at all, they're unregulated.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
State DMV rules don't care what lights are on or off during the DAY, the rules are for nighttime, usually dusk to dawn, and they require that low-beam headlamps be on. Some states also require that low-beam headlamps be on if it's raining. Since many cars don't have the DRL feature at all, they're unregulated.
That's how it works in Maine. Headlights are required to be turned on within 30 minutes after sunset.. or is it before... I can't remember. And, headlights must be used when wipers are in use. Though I suppose if you have a nice fresh coat of rain-x and you're doing 65, then the rain would roll right up your windshield and you wouldn't need the wipers.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
ebh
2nd Gear
too bad the daytime running lights are not like they are on BMWs I see around town, where it seems just a ring around the lights are on. I think that looks pretty cool. I will probably use DRL because of insurance, but would prefer to be without them for aesthetic reasons.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
I think those of you worried about burning out your igniters by running your HID lights all the time are unnecessarily concerned. My CayenneS is now over 4 years old and since new, I have been turning on the HID headlights every time I start it (daylight running lights not available) -- a lot of repeated starting/stopping over the years. No problems whatsoever with the HIDs. In the MINI I just keep the HID headlights switched on all the time, they come on when I start the car, off when I turn the ignition off.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 PM
SeanKidd
2nd Gear
DRL etal

In the R53 the DRL is the high beam at 50% power, the HID is low beam only, high beam is 100% (65W H11 lamp). I don't know if its different on the 56's

Quick Reply: R55 Daytime running lights - w Xenons