R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Anyone feel like trading an automatic for a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:43 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone feel like trading an automatic for a manual?

Here's the thing. I have a new Clubman that I absolutely love. My wife does not. She likes everything about the car except for the transmission. So consequently, we have two cars right now but we only need one. We can't sell her old one because it's an auto. I would lose too much money if I traded the car at the dealer and I would also lose out if I sold it and bought a new one. I'm thinking that there could be someone out there who has an automatic Clubman that would rather have a manual.

Here's the details if your interested:
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman
Hot Chocolate/Black top
Manual transmission
Premium, convenience, and cold weather packages
Piano Black interior trim
Front & rear fog lights
Xenon headlights
Sport stripes
Less than 1,200 miles

Old 05-01-2008, 02:07 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know someone that has a '07 R56 MCS auto that would like to trade for a manual but I am not sure if he would be interested in a Clubman. He bought the car in January I believe so its got low miles. His user name is Kopov and he lives in the Los Angeles area. You may want to send him a PM and see what he says.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:15 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Personally, I would make an effort to sell the car privately. List it here in NAM as well as Cars.com, Autotrader.com, etc. I am sure there is someone out there ready to jump in a Clubman like yours and has no desire to put up with a 6-8 week wait for a custom order. Don't despair. I hate to sound like I am giving out a "sermon" but let this be a learning lesson for your next car purchase. When the purchase involves 2 people, make sure the both of you are on the same page when it comes to the car and equipment you want to have on said vehicle. Changing your mind soon after you have taken delivery is costly no matter how you cut it and slice it. Even if you sell the car for a very good price, you will still lose the sales tax and other unrecoverable fees you paid for the car when you took it out of the dealer. Best of luck and don't fret. Don't lose your shirt in desperation to sell the car. Give yourself 1 or 2 months to sell it and you'll be ready to place a new order for an automatic Clubman S this time around.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
yeah, it seems like some Clubmans are selling for a Premium on other sites like Ebay and Cars.com ...
i would try there not on an entusiast forum to sell it. you might be surprised at what you can get.

Last edited by lurch70; 05-01-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 PM
jessicasprouse
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
Here's the thing. I have a new Clubman that I absolutely love. My wife does not. She likes everything about the car except for the transmission. So consequently, we have two cars right now but we only need one. We can't sell her old one because it's an auto. I would lose too much money if I traded the car at the dealer and I would also lose out if I sold it and bought a new one. I'm thinking that there could be someone out there who has an automatic Clubman that would rather have a manual.

Here's the details if your interested:
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman
Hot Chocolate/Black top
Manual transmission
Premium, convenience, and cold weather packages
Piano Black interior trim
Front & rear fog lights
Xenon headlights
Sport stripes
Less than 1,200 miles

if you haven't found a buyer yet, pm me, i have an 08 auto oxy blue MC that i got in feb and only has a little over 2,000miles. pm me if interested, and i can give u more info.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Otra
6th Gear
So Tim, am I correct that you want automatic Clubman for your manual? My unasked for gut on that is that this might be hard - unless you can trade with a dealer who has an auto that someone ordered and then backed out of taking delivery on. Don't discount this as a possibility - and why not mention it to your MA? Ya never know!

I will tell you that my MA told me the day I picked up my automatic Clubman that I could turn it around and sell it that day because people want them so badly.

I am sure you can cut your losses, if you try to sell as ClubmanS and lurch have advised, or see if there might be a dealer who's looking - but maybe you can get your wife to give it more of a chance, too.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:05 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
I've talked to my MA and another dealer in New England. I would lose about $3,000 if I traded. I would also lose close to that if I sold it due to the way excise and sales tax work in Maine. That's why I'm looking to trade and avoid the two month wait and sales tax charge. Although if the folks on eBay are willing to pay a premium, that might cover some of the loss. Thanks for the suggestion.

Worst case scenario, I just keep both cars. They do look nice together. Sadly, the Clubman doesn't get driven much since I carpool or bike to work. It's more of a weekend/vacation driver at this point.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jessicasprouse
if you haven't found a buyer yet, pm me, i have an 08 auto oxy blue MC that i got in feb and only has a little over 2,000miles. pm me if interested, and i can give u more info.
Thanks for the offer, but I want to stick with the Clubman model.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:52 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Awwwwe Tim, thats not good

I have to say...I love my automatic but wish I knew how to drive stick. I'm having so much fun with this car and think for my next MINI I'm going to buy manual. One, for gas reasons but also because I get bored at times with the auto. I always have my hand on the gear like I'm ready to shift!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:59 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
also because I get bored at times with the auto. I always have my hand on the gear like I'm ready to shift!
if you learn to work the manual mode on the A/T you will have a lot of fun as well.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Wow, forgot about that...going to take a spin tomorrow and try it

Old 05-03-2008, 04:49 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Manual mode (or paddle shifters) plus sport button, me thinks, should be fun.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:57 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by laurendesigns
Awwwwe Tim, thats not good

I have to say...I love my automatic but wish I knew how to drive stick. I'm having so much fun with this car and think for my next MINI I'm going to buy manual. One, for gas reasons but also because I get bored at times with the auto. I always have my hand on the gear like I'm ready to shift!
How tall are you? My wife claims she can't do it in the Clubman because she's too short.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:03 AM
Otra
6th Gear
No, no - I know some very petite, shall we say tiny in stature, folks who drive manuals. Have you tried lowering or raising the seat all the way - all the different configurations of the seat, the back, the actual wheel, etc?

Maybe, just maybe it would help to have someone that is not you work with your wife on learning the standard shift? Clearly I don't know you or your wife but sometimes there's an element of fear or trepidation on the learner's part and they just put their "brakes" on to wanting to learn. This may very well not be the case. Just throwing this out into the wild, blue cyber world here.

If I had the ability to use standard still - I'd have kept it, though for mostly city/town driving or tons of traffic auto is easier.

Hang in there Tim!

Old 05-03-2008, 05:09 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Manual mode (or paddle shifters) plus sport button, me thinks, should be fun.
yes, i bet it is ... the manual mode on the CVT was a blast and a feature cherished by those that used it properly. DSG be damned ... just check the mini2.com boards.
i hope the new A/T in manual mode is as much fun as the CVT was.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:24 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
AT with manumatic is better than not shifting at all but after two days it's a real snooze. If you have to keep your clubman, good for you, you'll get a useful weekend car that's actually fun to drive.

Teach the wifey to drive. I guarantee your car is the better of the two (you didn't mention what she drives). Some people refuse to learn stick but everyone's better off mastering that skill.

I would trade you mine but mine's an S and decked out to my specs. Plus I'm dreaming about JCW clubbies.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:41 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
She drives an 04 MC that she won't let me sell. We've been dealing with this issue for six weeks. We even spent $100 to have a professional teach her. I've given up. I'll keep the Clubman for a couple more months to use it on some vacations we have planned, but then I'm selling it, and I'll put an order in for an 09 auto to replace it.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:29 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Hey Tim,

I'm 5'7 and very long legs. My seat is way back.

Too small? I doubt that...the MINI is soooo adjustable...I've had all type of drivers/riders in it who have said its the "perfect" fit with all the seat options. Lots of room for a small car large or tall.

My husband says I'd never cut it in a manual car since I'm too fidgety. Is that her problem? I'm all over the place when I'm driving (stereo, coffee, distracted, etc) so I know that can be a reason to stick to auto (no pun intended)

Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Tim, you've got yourself a very nice Clubman there - and I'm sure a very nice wife - you should do well selling the Clubman. Don't wait too long though - there are a lot of hungry people out there.

Please keep us in the loop and good luck on it working out in the best timing for you!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by laurendesigns
Hey Tim,

I'm 5'7 and very long legs. My seat is way back.

Too small? I doubt that...the MINI is soooo adjustable...I've had all type of drivers/riders in it who have said its the "perfect" fit with all the seat options. Lots of room for a small car large or tall.

My husband says I'd never cut it in a manual car since I'm too fidgety. Is that her problem? I'm all over the place when I'm driving (stereo, coffee, distracted, etc) so I know that can be a reason to stick to auto (no pun intended)
She has to get right up close to push the clutch in. So close that she can't even flip down the side-visor because it hits the head rest. That's probably the worst part of the problem.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim - I am 4'10" and have NO trouble driving a manual. The seats in the MINI are so adjustable - the seat doesn't need to be so far up - it's the adjustment in the height and the back support that helps...

Donna

Old 05-04-2008, 06:22 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
Tim - I am 4'10" and have NO trouble driving a manual. The seats in the MINI are so adjustable - the seat doesn't need to be so far up - it's the adjustment in the height and the back support that helps...

Donna
Well then you need to come out to Maine to show my wife how to do it.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tim781996
Well then you need to come out to Maine to show my wife how to do it.
Better yet - fly her out to So Cal - she can have a vacation at the same time...

Donna

Old 05-05-2008, 03:45 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
That's not a bad idea, actually

Old 05-05-2008, 04:27 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Cheaper than buying a new Clubman? Listen, it's easy for us all to make our comments but you and your wife have to live together with your Clubman. I still am keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Otra; 05-05-2008 at 04:56 AM. Reason: etiquette

Quick Reply: R55 Anyone feel like trading an automatic for a manual?