R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Sticky Clubman Club Door - and Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sticky Clubman Club Door - and Fix

My club door wouldn't open today. I pulled the inside lever over and over, and it finally opened. After some investigation I discovered the problem was a small "interlock" at the bottom inside edge of the door frame. It's a triangular shaped plastic tab in a small black retangular frame. This small plastic interlock is pushed closed when the front door is closed, and then springs open when the front door is opened. Trouble was, mine wasn't springing very well. When it opens, it pulls a small cable that then releases the interlock. I gave the mechanism a few shots of silicone spray, and also aimed a little at the cable, and worked it open and closed a few times. Seemed to do the trick. If anyone else has this problem, it's really easy to open the stuck club door by simply pulling on this small plastic piece if it's not springing out on its own. I'll keep an eye on it. If it gives me any more trouble it's back to the dealer for an adjustment.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:29 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read about having this same exact problem someone from the UK over at mini2.com. But his Clubdoor cable mechanism did brake and he had to take it back at the dealer to get the cable replaced.

No problems with the Clubdoor here so far, but I will keep my eyes peeled for it.

Maybe you should get the mechanism checked out just in case.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
I hope it was just a one time thing. It did free up pretty quickly once I added a little silicone spray lube. It may be that the factory just neglected to lube the part.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Arthuralda
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miniclubman
My club door wouldn't open today. I pulled the inside lever over and over, and it finally opened. After some investigation I discovered the problem was a small "interlock" at the bottom inside edge of the door frame. It's a triangular shaped plastic tab in a small black retangular frame. This small plastic interlock is pushed closed when the front door is closed, and then springs open when the front door is opened. Trouble was, mine wasn't springing very well. When it opens, it pulls a small cable that then releases the interlock. I gave the mechanism a few shots of silicone spray, and also aimed a little at the cable, and worked it open and closed a few times. Seemed to do the trick. If anyone else has this problem, it's really easy to open the stuck club door by simply pulling on this small plastic piece if it's not springing out on its own. I'll keep an eye on it. If it gives me any more trouble it's back to the dealer for an adjustment.
My club door is sticking as well. ( same issue ) A new Clubman in the lot at my dealer was doing the same. Tomorrow the mechinism is being replaced.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Hmm, search as I did, I couldn't seem to find this earlier so started a new thread. Thanks for reporting your experiences - all of you. I have seen that little button down at the bottom of the club door and have pushed it and pulled it but nothing happened. I'll try again tomorrow and hope for the best.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:29 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Otra - if the plastic release is in the "out" position, and the door still won't open, take it to the dealer. That would indicate that there's an issue with the small cable to which the plastic release is attached. That was not the issue I had. My cable was working properly, but the plastic release was just "sticky".

Old 05-04-2008, 03:36 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks - I'm afraid it is stuck it is in the "out" position. I'll double check it all again later today, but that's what was happening yesterday.

P.S. I was informed via MINI2 that the club door will not open if the car is running. However, I'm 99.999% sure it was not when I attempted this, and certainly has been off and on and driven multiple times since.

Last edited by Otra; 05-04-2008 at 04:06 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-04-2008, 05:10 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
If the plastic interlock springs out when you open the passenger door, but the club door still doesn't open, it's got to be something more complicated. Let us all know what the dealer says once you bring it in.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Will do, thanks for staying involved.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Won't know anything more on this until, hopefully, Tuesday - that's when I have an appointment with a loaner lined up. Stay tuned.

FYI, two threads merged into one on MINI2 under 2nd Generation Faults and Fixes http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...ml#post3421120

P.S Updated info on this thread:https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...66#post2211466

Last edited by Otra; 05-08-2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: adding a P.S. about the latest update