R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Who Has Tinted Their Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:56 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who Has Tinted Their Sunroof?

I'm in So Cal and it was only 80 today and I felt the heat through the sunroof with the screens pulled. I want to tint the sunroofs and reduce the cabin heat. Has anyone tinted theirs? The woman who has handled my tint over the years in several vehicles is checking with the manufacturer of the tint to see if it will crack over time. Apparently applying window tint over glass that has already been tinted applies more heat to the film than originally anticipated and can cause cracking. Anyone have issues with this?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:48 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
Sun Roof Screening

I did mine just a couple of weeks ago. Bought some self-stick, no glue or water, they just get pressed up against the inside glass & stay there, they kind of match the little dots around my Mini's windows. As soon as I saw them, I bought. $5 at Auto Zone for each, buy 2 and it covers to sun roof about 98%. In fact, one would almost think they were made for the Mini.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:58 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I don't have a Clubbie, I have a 2003 MCS, but I had the sunroof tinted last year at MOTD and it's a great mod. I recommend it. It definitely keeps the interior cooler in hot weather. I've driven it cross-country since and it was terrific in the desert.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:06 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
i have a 2003 R50 and have limo tint on the sunroof. it has held up perfectly and helps a ton.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Miniman3
1st Gear
I tinted my sunroof! The tint came with a warranty so I'm not concerned about it.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Goldilocks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my sunroof tinted with 5% - I live in San Fernando Valley and feel the heat -- but I gotta tell you, that tint does exactly what it's supposed to do. My Cricket is parked outside on campus all day & it really cut down the heat on that hot day. My tint has a lifetime warranty so I'm not worried. My tinter used Formula One Performance Automotive Film - total cost for double sunroof, back, rear sides and an 'eyebrow' was $230.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:43 AM
rdeppen
2nd Gear
I have mine tinted/ It's 15% so it doesn't completely take away from the view. I never even pull the shade closed anymore.

I paid the same thing but I don't waste time with front eyebrows. I tint the whole front windshield. If you really want to cut in car temp tint the whole thing. The trick is to use super light film like 45 or 50%. That way it isn't dangerous at night.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:02 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RaceFace
Apparently applying window tint over glass that has already been tinted applies more heat to the film than originally anticipated and can cause cracking. Anyone have issues with this?
We were told this as well and that's the sole reason for our hesitation. Actually the way we heard it, it was the sunroof glass itself that's in danger of cracking due to the heat build-up. Sure don't want that to happen, so I'm all ears!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:08 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson
i have a 2003 R50 and have limo tint on the sunroof. it has held up perfectly and helps a ton.
Has yours been tinted since 2003?

I might just say to hell with it and do it. Still flippin' that coin....

Old 03-22-2008, 05:25 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
i'm the second owner but, i have all the original receipts. tint was done in 2004. i'm in the valley and the heat here gets nutty it has done fine. car is outside 24/7 too.

you do have another option however. aesthetic creations makes a vinyl cover that you can apply. they can do custom work if you do not have a black or white roof. FWIW my roof is indi blue so don't know if that cuts down on the heat hitting the sun roof.

i can't see the glass cracking. but, if the tint has a lifetime warranty, wouldn't the tinter fix it anyway if the tint cracked etc..

Old 03-22-2008, 10:03 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
I appreciate your input, especially because you are in the same climate. The Clubman is garaged every night and stays inside on weekends we take off and have to tow something (which is most of the time). I think I'm going to have the tint company just do it and I will deal with the issues as they arise.

Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
go for it. enjoy the MINI to it's fullest amd make it your own .

Old 03-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Prost
4th Gear
For those in CA (SoCal), where did you tint your sunroof?

Old 03-22-2008, 11:36 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
i'll have to look at the original receipt to know where the first owner did it. BUT, i just had my other 5 windows tinted at sunshield in sherman oaks on van nuys for $125. they did an awesome job and have done quite a few other NAM members MINI's as well. they do sunroofs as well.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Mini Flyer
1st Gear
I tinted mine with limo on the sunroof and medium all the way around. Really helps and looks great.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:53 AM
amdoubleu
2nd Gear
The guy on Van Nuys Blvd is just 2 doors south of the 101S on ramp. He's good. Did my prius and does a lot of Dealer work. I'll get the name for you

Old 03-23-2008, 10:57 AM
amdoubleu
2nd Gear
Sun Shield Glass Tinting
4704 Nan Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks
818 906 8468

Old 03-23-2008, 10:57 AM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
Originally Posted by amdoubleu
The guy on Van Nuys Blvd is just 2 doors south of the 101S on ramp. He's good. Did my prius and does a lot of Dealer work. I'll get the name for you
yeah it's sunshield like i mentioned a couple posts above. just had my tint (5 regular) windows done on thursday . really good shop. best to get an appt too i was in and out in around an hour.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:06 PM
bridgehorse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RaceFace
I want to tint the sunroofs and reduce the cabin heat. Has anyone tinted theirs? Apparently applying window tint over glass that has already been tinted applies more heat to the film than originally anticipated and can cause cracking. Anyone have issues with this?
I tinted both my mini cooper S as well as my clubman and I have had no problems with any of the cars so far. the 2006 mini S has the sunroof tinted and no problems and its been over a year and a half now. I have both my mini's limo tinted all over even the sunroofs, and its great!!

Old 03-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
Bridgehorse--What state are you in and does your state have any regs on how dark you can tint? Please advise as to what degree of tinting you did on your windows & your sunroofs. My wife just did a 22% on her windows (our state says you can only do 70%) and she is getting a checkered decal for her sunroof. My Clubman S will be done in about 2 weeks and I am contemplating the sunroofs as well.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:52 PM
bridgehorse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jeff S.
Bridgehorse--What state are you in and does your state have any regs on how dark you can tint? Please advise as to what degree of tinting you did on your windows & your sunroofs. My wife just did a 22% on her windows (our state says you can only do 70%) and she is getting a checkered decal for her sunroof. My Clubman S will be done in about 2 weeks and I am contemplating the sunroofs as well.
Yeah, I already got pulled over by one cop in 2007 for making my mini S too dark and the cop did not give me a ticket this time, but When I got my clubman this year, I made the tint limo too...so far, so good, have not been pulled over...

I live in south florida...its amazing how the cops have time to pull me over for tint being too dark, when they should be out there pulling over Johns and bad people...i guess they need to meet their quota

Old 03-23-2008, 06:01 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Has anybody considered/used the static cling tint? It looks easy to apply and is completely removeable. Seems like that could be a good option after having the rest of the windows professionally tinted.

BTW, any recommendations for a really good window tinter in the Orlando area?

Last edited by 3DogDepot; 03-30-2008 at 04:37 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:19 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bridgehorse - very darkly tinted windows are a safety issue for the driver, other drivers, and law enforcement. That's why they're illegal.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
bridgehorse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
bridgehorse - very darkly tinted windows are a safety issue for the driver, other drivers, and law enforcement. That's why they're illegal.
thanks for your concern and I appreciate your advise, but with all due respect, I have had no safety issues driving. I can see perfectly fine. I really need the tinted windows really dark cause I dont want to see the sun when I drive, it bothers me alot. I tried using regular tint and it just does not work for me, so I will continue to take my chances with the limo dark and see what happens. I am not going to worry about it too much. I only got stopped once and they just advised me to get it lighter and i did not get a ticket. I hope that law will be changed because it is a ridicuous law. Owners of cars should be able to choose what kind of tint they want on their cars, not worry about laws that prevent that. It just does not sound right to me. I know NY is totally against dark tinted windows, but Florida they seem more forgiving..

Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
We were told this as well and that's the sole reason for our hesitation. Actually the way we heard it, it was the sunroof glass itself that's in danger of cracking due to the heat build-up. Sure don't want that to happen, so I'm all ears!
I heard the same thing from the tint shop when I went to tint the sunroof on my last mini. Anyone have any experience w/ a cracked sunroof from tinting?

Quick Reply: R55 Who Has Tinted Their Sunroof?