R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Curiosity: Clubman C-Pillar color

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curiosity: Clubman C-Pillar color

Here's a curiosity I never understood...

For some inexplicable reason, in the configurator, MINIUSA allows you to configure a black C-Pillar on every color of Clubman except black... and it allows you to configure a silver C-Pillar on every color of Clubman except silver.

They just won't let you get an "all black" or "all silver" Clubman - no exceptions. Curious browsing over to the MINI UK Configurator displays the same results.

Why the blind ignorance to truly allowing any combination a person wants? It reminds me of some of the "Cooper-exclusive", "Cooper-S-exclusive" and "Convertible-exclusive" color options they made... for no practical reason at all.

I will be interested to see if enterprising new Clubman owners who want a solid color of one or the other end up swapping with opposite-minded folks next year, here on NAM!

So... let's start the first swap! We just need to find one person who wants an "all-black" and another who wants an "all-silver"... how hard can it be to detach and swap the plastic trim out?

(No, I'm not in the market for a Clubman, I just thought this was an odd and interesting discussion point!)

Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not a bad idea for those desperate for a change. Personally I like the contrasting c-pillar, but a direct swap (assuming the price point is tolerable) does seem do-able.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is one thing that is keeping me from ordering one. I hate the contrasting C pillars. Yuck!

Old 12-30-2007, 02:07 PM
korby
6th Gear
It looks better in person .

Old 12-30-2007, 02:10 PM
kgardnez
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't Minimania or someone already offering color matched pillars?

Old 12-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If they offered it in all black then what fun would the black out crowd have? A bigger Clubman means more mod fun! There where a few R53 options like this, like black bonnet stripes on a black car (cool effect with the flat of the stripes and gloss of the paint) but I think between the aftermarket vendors and the enthusiast community this is a void easily filled.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:44 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edge
I will be interested to see if enterprising new Clubman owners who want a solid color of one or the other end up swapping with opposite-minded folks next year, here on NAM!

So... let's start the first swap! We just need to find one person who wants an "all-black" and another who wants an "all-silver"... how hard can it be to detach and swap the plastic trim out?

(No, I'm not in the market for a Clubman, I just thought this was an odd and interesting discussion point!)
I am in total agreement with you on this, Edge. I don't dig the contrasting C-pillar, either, and I bet the swapping fun will commence soon after the Clubbies are delivered. LOL!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:27 AM
Robsreef
2nd Gear
Pete at Minspeed said he will be offering the painted pillars and bumper trim very soon. That is the first thing we are doing to our Clubman S when we recieve delivery.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robsreef
Pete at Minspeed said he will be offering the painted pillars and bumper trim very soon. That is the first thing we are doing to our Clubman S when we recieve delivery.
That is good news. I was hoping some enterprising person would end up doing that.

Way to go Pete.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This might work for the silver cars....but won't exactly work with the black. The roof on a black roof'd mini is Jet black, but the only black body available is astro black. So, even if you went ahead and ordered an AB/AB clubman, trading for someone's black c-pillars would still leave you with a mismatched c-pillar.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I've been plying around with the confingerator & I believe that I might be able to live with a PW/PW. The silver really doesn't jump out at me. At least not to my old fart eyes.

Hey Rally are you thinking new Clubman for yourself?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashton
Hey Rally are you thinking new Clubman for yourself?
I definitely thought about it...but passed up on the order slot. I'm pretty sure a PW/PW r56 MC is in my future.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I definitely thought about it...but passed up on the order slot. I'm pretty sure a PW/PW r56 MC is in my future.
That is my other option, R56 plan A or plan B, not sure yet. I do think it would be big fun lapping folks at Nelson in a little wagon.

I pretty much have my spec's down. CWP, Synthetic cow Sport seats, Zenon's, Fogs, MFW & Self dimming mirror. Painted PW/PW.

If I get an S the spec's would remain the same...add a turbo & LSD.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
This might work for the silver cars....but won't exactly work with the black. The roof on a black roof'd mini is Jet black, but the only black body available is astro black. So, even if you went ahead and ordered an AB/AB clubman, trading for someone's black c-pillars would still leave you with a mismatched c-pillar.
Actually, considering that the A-pillars and B-pillars are all Jet Black on every MINI anyway (at least, they were on all 1st Gens...), I don't think it would look so bad to have JB C-pillars on an AB Clubman.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
cixuru
2nd Gear
I find the silver pillars unique and daring - like Fred Astaire dancing with white shoes and socks at the end of his tux, it's a little unconventional perhaps, but makes for a riveting performance that just gets better and better with time.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:01 PM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cixuru
I find the silver pillars unique and daring - like Fred Astaire dancing with white shoes and socks at the end of his tux, it's a little unconventional perhaps, but makes for a riveting performance that just gets better and better with time.
I like it! Fred Astaire!