R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Wind in your Face?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:53 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wind in your Face?

Since I've never owned a "true" convertable (t-tops and targa type roofs don't count, which we have owned, because the back is not open but enclosed), this might be a lame question but inquring minds need to know.

How bad, or not bad, is the wind blowing into your face and eyes? Is it non-existent? Or is it something you may want to have sunglasses on for (to keep dust and crap from getting into your eyes?) or what?

Can you actually have a normal conversation at highway speeds (i.e., 65 mph) or is the road noise to much. Does the road noise overwhelm the stereo? How about Bluetooth phone conversations? Impossible on the highway or OK?

Old 06-02-2006, 05:36 PM
FUEGO
4th Gear
When together, we motor more often with the top down and windows up + the OEM wind deflector (hair thing). Wind in the cabin is almost nil in that mode and easy to hear the stereo and carry on a conversation. I prefer the windows down but as long as the wind deflector is in place and raised it isn't a problem either. Having run our "open" on runflats and Yokohama ES100s I can tell you that the road noise is most definitely less annoying on the ES100s with the softer sidewalls - read almost non-existent.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:25 PM
katesmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't feel like there is a ton of wind blowing in my face and eyes. With the top and windows all the way down I do get a lot of backwind that blows my hair into my face. With the windows up and wind deflector, wind is NOT an issue (when will they make the deflector standard? I can already tell it's going extend my open motoring season by AT LEAST 2 months!) I have my designated "mini" sunglasses that do a great job of keeping my hair out of my eyes. Conversing with front seat passengers on the highway isn't an issue at all, although the backseat passengers are left out. I have the h/k stereo and it sounds great at all speeds with the top wide open. Don't have the bluetooth so I can't say about that one. Get the cabrio!

Old 06-14-2006, 10:02 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Now that the weather is warm I seldom even use the wind deflector. In fact, and tell me I'm not the only one, I found myself picking up the big house fan tonight and blowing wind into the four corners of our den . . . my wife, who took the mini today, suggested I take it tomorrow. When there is some wind it isn't in the face, it curls around from behind. Hats, scarves, sunglasses, haircuts . . . a certain amount of preparation allows one to enjoy the wind more. Windows and wind deflector make it optional.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
While driving on most freeways in California you can't have a conversation, listen to the radio or talk on your phone with the top down. The surrounding traffic/road noise makes it all but impossible. The noise isn't as bad at night.

Any hands-free kit (Bluetooth or otherwise) with the mic mounted somewhere in the car is useless with the top down. I've never tried a Bluetooth headset -- so I'm not sure about that.

A hooded sweat shirt is great when the weather gets a little chilly. With the hood down your neck still stays warm. Most of the wind is from the back, even with the OEM wind screen.

I wear a baseball cap in my cabrio on sunny days. Because I'm tall I've lost a few to the wind. Since then I found a "lid-leash" at a sailing shop. Big help.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:10 AM
meg
5th Gear
Most of the wind is wind that goes over the car and then back in through the opening of the front seats. This can be minimized with the OEM wind deflector.
I have hair that is about a foot and a half long and with the wind deflector I can wear it down and it doesn't blow all over the place.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, something about the laws of physics (Bernouilli's Principle?) with all that wind at high speed zipping past you, the cabin becomes a low pressure bubble and sucks in wind from the most easily accessible spot - the back seat area. Thus, IN THE FRONT you never seem to get wind in your face but the back of your head feels it (without the screen to break it).

In the back seat, my long-haired daughters seem to have their hair blowing forward too - so the same principle seems to apply. However, my passengers say that the back seat is MARKEDLY windier than the front seat.

Noise never seems to bother me unless I am driving in heavy traffic with trucks around. If you are in fast-moving close-quarters traffic with trucks close to you, their engine and tire/wheel noise will be almost painful, depending on the truck. I never put my windows up with the top down but may start doing it in these situations. However, when it is just you by yourself somewhat away from traffic, I don't notice even the wind noise anymore (and not much of that). Radio is generally clear at all speeds - and I love the volume control on the steering wheel for when you come to a stop after a fast run and don't want to share your tunes with the next county...

Be sure that any parcels are secured down if traveling at higher speeds - last weekend I had a Home Depot bag open up on the back seat and a small halogen bulb that I bought (affixed to a large cardboard backing) became a sail and flew out of the car never to be seen again.

I have a special pair of sunglasses I keep in the car. I have occasionally noticed that my eyes pick up cinders in really dusty areas - AND unless you get large lenses you will still get glare from all directions on a sunny day (my normal tiny lenses let a lot of bright sun in from the sides). One pair of polarized glasses I have feature huge lenses that basically cover my whole peripheral range - great for protecting your eyes from everything. They look like what an 80 year old Florida male might wear on the golf course but I don't care - they work great and make my driving much safer.

In the NorthEast the weather is FINALLY getting warm enough that there is no excuse to have the top up day or night - and I discover that any trip I would do with the top up becomes twice as much fun when I go topless.

Choosing the convertible was the best decision I made with the car. I pinch myself every day this vehicle is so much fun....

Bill

Old 06-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Da Boy
2nd Gear
The only time i have problem with wind and getting stuff in my eyes is at night (blink reflex reduced) I went out an bought a pair of morotcycle sunglasses with yellow lenses and padded edges... (fantastic at dusk visibility) 13 bucks at the local rice rocket shop. I plan on getting some dark sun glasses there too because i like those others so much... They are also very Durable.

I aways cruise with top down windows up. don't have rear wind curtian, but don't see a need. Fuego's wife really likes her rear wind curtain though. Wind noise is minimal and can hear clearle the radio... (don't have HK)

I am toppless 90% of the time.

Edit: those sun galsses are somewhat like goggles and are very clsoe to your case and curverd around. Therefore your perieral vision is very good. I think they are the best thing for convertible drivers since windshields were invented.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:31 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Da Boy
The only time i have problem with wind and getting stuff in my eyes is at night (blink reflex reduced) I went out an bought a pair of morotcycle sunglasses with yellow lenses and padded edges... (fantastic at dusk visibility) 13 bucks at the local rice rocket shop. I plan on getting some dark sun glasses there too because i like those others so much... They are also very Durable.
My wife is a contact wearer and has huge issues with her contacts (her sight is so bad she has to wear hard contacts). The slightest amount of dirt irritates her eyes. I usually have to keep the windows up and the wind deflector in full erect mode when she's in the car. I need to get her a set of these glasses (have biking glasses, but they don't have the foam) for when she's riding her motorcycle and when we're in the cabrio. That would make my life much better. we actually had to pull off the road the other day to get some dirt out of her eyes.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:31 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jersey_Bill
I have a special pair of sunglasses I keep in the car. I have occasionally noticed that my eyes pick up cinders in really dusty areas

Bill
This was a concern. I think a wraparound pair of sunglasses left in the car will do the trick?