R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 In hindsight...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 AM
tahoe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In hindsight...

I'm glad that I didn't opt for the "S." Don't flame me! I understand why folks love the extra power etc. It's just that this morning I filled up Lilly. The price for premium, $3.39/g. I'm loving that 34 mpg that I'm getting right now.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:23 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol

I get 29 mpg and i have 50 more horses.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:25 AM
MyMini05
2nd Gear
On short trips I get 27 mpg. On long drives I have had as much as 32 but the fun of the extra HP is worth the fuel.

But anyway enjoy the drive.

Fred

Old 05-01-2006, 09:28 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
lol

I get 29 mpg and i have 50 more horses.

What are you doing to get such great MPG? I'm only getting 23 around town and about 30-32 on the freeway... The extra HP is worth it to me. We just ordered a cabrio S as well... we'll see if the top down gives better milage! hahahaha

Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 AM
cur
1st Gear
Not that big of a difference.

I drive pretty aggressively and fill up about once a week.

On average a fill up for me is 11-11.5 gallons and I get somewhere between 320-340 miles per tank. So real world that comes out to about 29 MPG. Since I used to have Mustang's and 18-20 MPG, I'm loving the MINI.

So I spend a couple dollars more than regular gas, but to me it's money well spent.

Not that I'm trying to justify my MCS!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:31 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
6th gear man.

unless im either getting on it or messing around, im usually in 6th.

I used to use only up to 5th around town, but since ive started going into 6th around town, i noticed about a 3 mpg gain over what i was at beore.

Also, i put a can of NOS or Outlaw octane booster in with every tank of gas, I believe that has helped out a bit, ecpecially with the winter fuel we had for about 5-6 months.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:33 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Also, I had an 05 Cooper. After driving the S for just about as long as I owned the Cooper, all I can say is I would NEVER go back to a Cooper ever again.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:33 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
My Cooper used to get 25mpg

My MCS gets 28ish

So now I have more hp and better fuel economy. Makes no sense, but I'm rolling with it.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:34 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tahoe
The price for premium, $3.39/g. I'm loving that 34 mpg that I'm getting right now.
Pah, $3.39, its $3.59 here, regular is $3.39. Until you go to Death Valley, then its over $5.00. But I'm still getting a between 30 - 32 mpg. No complants here.

Nik

Old 05-01-2006, 09:44 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
6th gear man.

unless im either getting on it or messing around, im usually in 6th.

I used to use only up to 5th around town, but since ive started going into 6th around town, i noticed about a 3 mpg gain over what i was at beore.

Also, i put a can of NOS or Outlaw octane booster in with every tank of gas, I believe that has helped out a bit, ecpecially with the winter fuel we had for about 5-6 months.
I started doing that as well, but I usually drive with my foot in it anyways... I need to start taking it a little easy since I filled up yesterday and it cost me $40 ($3.39/gal).

Old 05-01-2006, 09:45 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Also, I had an 05 Cooper. After driving the S for just about as long as I owned the Cooper, all I can say is I would NEVER go back to a Cooper ever again.
Congratulations on getting 29 MPG by going easy on it in 6th with an octane booster.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:48 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DiD
Congratulations on getting 29 MPG by going easy on it in 6th with an octane booster.
You should see the gas mileage i get when i run Cam2 or SuperBlue, but those are boht over $4.50 a gallon, lol

Old 05-01-2006, 10:17 AM
tahoe
2nd Gear
Like I said, I understand why folks loves their MCS's. The horsepower is just a non-issue with me. But, even using his example, a mere 5 miles per gallon difference, with my commute and regular use (~approx 18gallons/week) calculates to around $640/year savings when you figure in the cost of octane boost/fillup etc. That's 2 car payments!

Old 05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
pgifford
3rd Gear
Like I said, I understand why folks loves their MCS's. The horsepower is just a non-issue with me. But, even using his example, a mere 5 miles per gallon difference, with my commute and regular use (~approx 18gallons/week) calculates to around $640/year savings when you figure in the cost of octane boost/fillup etc. That's 2 car payments!
If you stop at Starbucks 3 times a week you'll drink that savings down

I went with the S and JCW so my car payment is a bit higher, but the fun factor is worth it to me. Heck, I don't want my kids to get all the money I'm earning! Also, more power = more safety. I can get out of the way quicker

And I thought the MC was supposed to take super too, higher compression ratio and all that...

Paul

Old 05-01-2006, 02:36 PM
tahoe
2nd Gear
pgifford,

Starbucks? In my car? Never! or food for that matter. The MC takes premium too, but nsr had mentioned that he adds a can of octane boost per fill up.

It's funny, my oldest told my wife that he hoped that I'd be tired of the Mini by the time he got his license. (5 years). Dream on son!

Old 05-01-2006, 03:07 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
haha hell yea, golden rule, no food in the Cooper or drinks! Dude, honestly, Im a cooper driver right now and the regular cooper is fast enough. Its not 1/4 cause neither is the S so if its working for you and saving money, why the hell not.

On the other side, im ordering a Cooper S Cabrio once i sell this baby off =D

Old 05-01-2006, 03:25 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... a mere 5 miles per gallon difference, with my commute and regular use (~approx 18gallons/week) calculates to around $640/year savings when you figure in the cost of octane boost/fillup etc. That's 2 car payments!
Whats the point of spending money if you can't use it to spend on gas??? What else are you going to spend it on? Food? Electric Bill?

Old 05-02-2006, 08:58 AM
banjoez
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad that I didn't opt for the "S." Don't flame me! I understand why folks love the extra power etc. It's just that this morning I filled up Lilly. The price for premium, $3.39/g. I'm loving that 34 mpg that I'm getting right now.
Coming from a Miata I will have to say I am glad I got the non-S also. It is such a well balanced car and I love ringing the power out of that little free revving engine. I also get 34 + mpg no matter how I drive and from 0-45 (the twisty zone) there really isn't that much difference in acceleration. Heck, flat cruising at 70-80 is NO problem either (just takes me a little longer to get there). The regular Cooper is MUCH more comfortable as a daily driver (non-runflats), tires and wheels are lighter, the 5 speed Getrag is about as good as they get (and coming from a Miata that's saying a lot), I have a spare tire, less tempermental, still a blast in the twisties and super economical. Add a ragtop to the equation and there really isn't another car that can touch it.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:54 AM
rdelar01
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by banjoez
Coming from a Miata I will have to say I am glad I got the non-S also. It is such a well balanced car and I love ringing the power out of that little free revving engine. I also get 34 + mpg no matter how I drive and from 0-45 (the twisty zone) there really isn't that much difference in acceleration. Heck, flat cruising at 70-80 is NO problem either (just takes me a little longer to get there). The regular Cooper is MUCH more comfortable as a daily driver (non-runflats), tires and wheels are lighter, the 5 speed Getrag is about as good as they get (and coming from a Miata that's saying a lot), I have a spare tire, less tempermental, still a blast in the twisties and super economical. Add a ragtop to the equation and there really isn't another car that can touch it.
Yeah, what he said....