R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 05 & 06 MCS Cabrio with LSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 02:46 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 & 06 MCS Cabrio with LSD

How many of you have Limited Slip Differential? Why did you choose it? Do you notice a difference between Cabrio equipped with it and those without it? TIA Michael

Old 03-12-2006, 05:45 PM
latte hiatus
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I took delivery of my '05 MCSc with LSD, I had a '05 MCc (obviously, not equipped with the factory LSD). The two were comparably spec'ed in most respects.

The most important differences with the LSD are:
1. The LSD allows you to put more power down in fast hard turns - whereas in the MCc you would begin to feel loss of grip, the LSD in the MCSc urges you to push it even faster. Whiptastic!
2. The DSC doesn't engage as soon in the LSD-equipped MCSc than with the non-LSD MCc, meaning it's easier to accelerate smoothly (both straight acceleration and acceleration into a turn).

Finally, I chose the LSC option because I figured for $500, it's a steal - I tend to drive rather aggressively anyhow, and the LSD allows you to really dig into corners and make up for the lackluster acceleration. Of course, agile cornering is why many of us went with a Mini in the first place - why not make it better at what it naturally does well?

HTH!

Old 03-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Mastersonics
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by latte hiatus
Before I took delivery of my '05 MCSc with LSD, I had a '05 MCc (obviously, not equipped with the factory LSD). The two were comparably spec'ed in most respects.

The most important differences with the LSD are:
1. The LSD allows you to put more power down in fast hard turns - whereas in the MCc you would begin to feel loss of grip, the LSD in the MCSc urges you to push it even faster. Whiptastic!
2. The DSC doesn't engage as soon in the LSD-equipped MCSc than with the non-LSD MCc, meaning it's easier to accelerate smoothly (both straight acceleration and acceleration into a turn).

Finally, I chose the LSC option because I figured for $500, it's a steal - I tend to drive rather aggressively anyhow, and the LSD allows you to really dig into corners and make up for the lackluster acceleration. Of course, agile cornering is why many of us went with a Mini in the first place - why not make it better at what it naturally does well?

HTH!

Ditto!
I too have LSD and it's a must in my book too

regards,
Charles

Old 03-14-2006, 06:25 PM
jdor1
2nd Gear
LSD is a no-brainer

I opted for the LSD because it makes the car drive better under a variety of conditions. The fact that it's only $500 (aftermarket would be very expensive) helped too. If it's the money upfront, give up the HK stereo for now. It would be easy to upgrade the stereo later or even boost the standard radio for way, way cheaper than it would cost to get the LSD aftermarket.

LSD is a must-have vs. a nice to have.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup

I felt like a car at this weight and horsepower should have the LSD. Just makes sense.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:32 PM
patgoeglein
2nd Gear
I wanted a quick little gokart and so I got the JCW and LSD came with it. Very hot and now I am putting in the understrutt system and it is great.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Cliff Briggs
Neutral
I was lucky, my 05/'05 MCSC LSD was ordered bebore x-mas and I called my dealer to add the $500 option when I read about it on NAM's site! I live in the White Mts. in NH...great motoring country! I also know from watching a Speed Channel CooperS upgrade to CWorks, only to find out after, they couldn't get the power to the ground, the tires slip! So they felt no other choice but the LSD, and yeah, for an upgrade to CWorks option and if you have to deal with adverse weather conditions. Also it (LSD) works great in conjunction with the ASC! I experienced 1st hand the phenomenol winter blizzard capabilities of this car, I was king of the interstate for a 150miles to MINIofPeabody! Now, this was my changing thinking in early 2005 MINI production & developement period. I can go on, shut off the ASC, and you gain full control of your LSD/engine power in every straight & corner! This car was meant to be bulit just this way!

Lovin it,
Cliff

Old 04-02-2006, 05:12 AM
patgoeglein
2nd Gear
I do have one more important note. I just went past my breakin period on my Betty, and am still taking it a little easy on her..... however the sound the JCW supercharger makes when I get on her between 4000 rpm and 5500 rpm and screeming coming from the passenger seat......wife as my Betty launches ahead is Craptastic..... Lsd and J CW.... with the to p down...... FUN FUN FUN

Old 04-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Itsdchz
5th Gear
LSD on MCSC

Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 PM
litabelle
3rd Gear
My husband's MCSC has LSD. Mine doesn't. There is a difference. Also, on a recent run, were were going pretty "spiritedly" along some pretty twisty twisties. Fayt and I were slippin a LOT more than those with. I wish she had it, but I'm looking to add on. Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2006, 09:14 AM
havnap
Coordinator :: Metroplex MINI
The LSD is totally worth the $ IMO.