R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Black Cabrio roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 08:25 AM
MINI SSS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Cabrio roof

Is there a better way of cleaning or preventing the lint buildup off the roof? I now use a lint remover. **** ?

Old 03-12-2006, 08:41 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Last summer I used 303 Convertible Top Cleaner & followed w/303 High Tech Fabric Guard. The manufacturer says when water quits beading on the top it's time to reapply. I plan on reapplying it as soon as it gets hot enough (they recommend applying in full hot sun for best protection). I don't know if this has helped or not but my Mini is not garaged & I have no lint problems at all

Here is a link to their info http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=430

Old 03-12-2006, 01:13 PM
MINI SSS
1st Gear
Thanks I'll get the products. The vinyl top protectant is the one I'm familiar with. John

Old 03-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Mastersonics
3rd Gear
Hi
I have tried both.
The 303 is awesome stuff for almost everything
but I prefer the Raggtopp brand for the canvas top

you can find more info here:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/exter...-top-care.html

It's been 2 months and the water still beads

hope that helps,
Charles

Old 03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Another vote for RaggTopp.
I just drove through the Rockies and down I-15 through snow - slop - Mag Chloride...it was awful.

It cleared up when I got to St. George Utah so I found a wand wash and rinsed off.

All the crap sloughed off the top like it was wrapped in Teflon.

I have three coats on with a days dry time between coats.

If I get lint - and I usually don't - I use a lint roller. I avoid using cotton towels - I use a Microfiber wash mit and dry with Microfiber towels.

Peter

Old 03-13-2006, 05:09 PM
AlfieG23
1st Gear
When I washed my MCSC the first time, I made the mistake of using my regular wash mit on the roof. My roof looked like it had a sweater . I removed the lint with a lint-roller, but it took several passes to remove everything. From then on, I have been using my mit for the body and a large sponge on the roof. I then dry it with a chamois. I hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:20 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Maybe I am dumb & maybe you top washers will GASP but why dry off a convertible top? It dries on it's own quickly & just fine, no spotting , & you don't have to wipe a linty towel across it.

I rarely wash my top with car soap & water (double GASP ) because I do not want to shorten the time my fabric guard is protecting (which soap will do). When I wash my Mini weekly I just rinse the top thoroughly with the hose & leave it to dry on it's own. I swear I even read somewhere that you shouldn't wash the top with car soap often. I will look for where I saw that & let you know (coulda been owners manual )

Old 03-13-2006, 05:32 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
OK I looked & my owners manual said you should only use convertible top cleaning agent (not car soap) & you should reapply waterproofing agent (aka fabric guard) every 3-5 washes. So that kinda made me just start rinsing my top weekly & I only wash the top every few months. Wrong or right has worked well for me as my top stays lint-free & still looks new after 14 months. Will let ya know how it looks in a few years

Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
I wash with car shampoo - without any gloss enhancers. My top protection lasts about 4 to 6 months. I use a microfiber mit which doesn't leave lint and I dry with a microfiber towel - again, no lint.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Wesmonster
3rd Gear
top care

I just use a dry car sponge to soak up any excess water but I mostly just let it dry on it's own, no towels. As mentioned above, get a good cleaner & protectant like 303 or ragtopp, no car soap. I keep a bench brush around ($2 from harbor freight) just for brushing any loose dirt & dust from the top once a week. Some of the fancier automotive websites sell camelhair brushes for sweeping the top. Unless I'm working a tough stain I don't use anything more abrasive than a sponge on the fabric.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:15 AM
yomamali
2nd Gear
I haven't figured out a way to prevent lint buildup... I was 3M (tape) lint remover to clear the top of any buildup (lint or otherwise). It doesn't take too long and I've learned to live with it.

I also use RaggTopp and I whole heartedly recommend their soft-top care products.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:19 PM
rnbradford
1st Gear
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned vacuuming.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Goatherder
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Last summer I used 303 Convertible Top Cleaner & followed w/303 High Tech Fabric Guard. The manufacturer says when water quits beading on the top it's time to reapply. I plan on reapplying it as soon as it gets hot enough (they recommend applying in full hot sun for best protection). I don't know if this has helped or not but my Mini is not garaged & I have no lint problems at all

Here is a link to their info http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=430

What he said!!!

Old 03-17-2006, 07:43 PM
jdor1
2nd Gear
speed up the drying

I too learned the hard way that a cotton towel leaves the top looking a bit ragged. I happened to have one of those car squeegees for pulling water off windows after a wash. A couple of pulls on the top after a wash really takes a lot of water off. I think of it as like ringing a towel.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:26 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
While looking around for a brand other than 303 Protectant I found an interesting article. I think those of you washing your top with soap may be getting lint because oils in the soap are turning your convertible tops into lint magnets. I never wash my top with soap (I just rinse my top weekly & clean it a few times a year with convertible top cleaner) & I really don't have a lint problem.

here is an excerpt from autopia:
Wash your soft top at least once a month (or when it is dusty or dirty) with a non-detergent-based auto shampoo. If your top is not dirty, rinse it thoroughly with plenty of cool water. Make sure the shampoo you use does not contain gloss-enhancing oils. If the shampoo contains oil, the top will absorb the oil and become a dust magnet.

Anywho here is a link to the article on detailing a top. Hope it helps
http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/inf-cabrio.html

p.s...I think I am gonna give the RaggTopp brand a try as the 303 doesn't seem to bead water well enough for me.