R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Taking delivery of my new MCSC tomorrow, any advice??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 04:04 PM
JulesMINI
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking delivery of my new MCSC tomorrow, any advice??

Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:15 PM
bzn by
4th Gear
Congrats . You will love it , I never knew driving a car could be so much fun . We got our mini in June 05, I didn't think I would want to drive it that much, it was bought as a second car for my husband, he has to tell me not to take it when we are both home , I usually drive it during the week but when he don't have to drive the work truck, he has to tell me not to take the mini.
One piece of advice I can offer is I don't know what you have been driving, but my other vehicle is a mid size suv, and it was hard for me to get used to the size difference, and I was always afraid of hitting a curb and popping a tire, but that hasn't happened, you will love how it hugs the road. It is incredibly responsive .

Old 01-20-2006, 04:17 PM
indimini
4th Gear
First of all, congratulations. You will be very happy with the car I'm sure. I'm 13 months into ownership and the MCSC is by far my favorite car I've ever owned.

The one thing that can cause people to think the top is "broken" is when the boot shelf isn't seated properly. Have your MA show you the proper positioning - it could save you a "panic attack" in the future if the top doesn't want to go down. Also let them show you the way you can pop the back of the top to ease loading of items when the top is up.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:19 PM
JulesMINI
1st Gear
I have been driving a four door Saab and cannot wait to get into the Mini. My husband also drives a big truck and he is worried that something will happen to me since the car is so small.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:20 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...elivery+advice

This I found when I did a search in Mini Talk for "delivery advice". There is a bunch of other good stuff I know it.

I hope you have a great MA like I did. That can make "all the difference".

Tatt

Old 01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
JulesMINI
1st Gear
Will do Indimini. I plan on having the MA show me all the functions on the car. I have limited experience with a convertible.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget your camera! (and film/memory card space.. and batteries!)

Old 01-20-2006, 04:28 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by indimini
The one thing that can cause people to think the top is "broken" is when the boot shelf isn't seated properly. Have your MA show you the proper positioning - it could save you a "panic attack" in the future...
I have a boot-shelf in my MCS (but I don't have a Cabrio, so I thought at first that Indi was being completely facetious ). Boot shelf issues, indeed!

I 2nd that about bringing along a camera, as suggested by FutureQueen...

Good Luck Jules,
Tatt

Old 01-20-2006, 04:29 PM
JulesMINI
1st Gear
Camera....forgot about that one.. THANKS!! Hoping all will go well, somewhat worried.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Krapow
2nd Gear
I agree with Tattman23, check out the link he posted for the delivery checklist if you haven't already. I used it when I picked up my car a month ago.

Have fun

Old 01-20-2006, 04:48 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JulesMINI
Camera....forgot about that one.. THANKS!! Hoping all will go well, somewhat worried.
dont be worried!!! be EXCITED!!!! youre getting a MINI!

oh also make sure that you have a copy of the MINI's insurance info (the dealership might need it, and its a good thing to have in your glovebox!)

Old 01-20-2006, 04:53 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
dont be worried!!! be EXCITED!!!! youre getting a MINI!
She's right, you know! (of Course She Is, after all she's da Queen!)

You might feel more at ease if you don't go solo. Like the time my insecure but cute lady-friend invited me to "please come with and hold my hand while I get my nipple-piercings... please?"... Who was I to decline, I ask you?

Ok the first sentence, at least, was legit advice... .

Cheers

Old 01-20-2006, 04:55 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Very Important - have your MA or Spouse take a picture of you in your new MINI. It will come in handy when you wonder why your cheeks hurt the next day.
Have fun!

Old 01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
I guess it's on the checklist but from my personal experience I'll say LOOK THE CAR OVER. Every inch. Mine was delivered with deep scratches on the roof that none of us noticed til the next day. It wasn't MINI of Nashville's fault, the car was shipped scratched, but alas.....I still have them. Just make sure you give it a good once over before you drive it out.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:05 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
All good advice and true; I'm surprised that no one else has said it, so...........go drive the wheeeeee! out of it!

Old 01-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Red
6th Gear
Get a good night's sleep. You will be motoring!

regards,
Red

Old 01-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KennyMooper
I guess it's on the checklist but from my personal experience I'll say LOOK THE CAR OVER. Every inch. Mine was delivered with deep scratches on the roof that none of us noticed til the next day. It wasn't MINI of Nashville's fault, the car was shipped scratched, but alas.....I still have them. Just make sure you give it a good once over before you drive it out.
Don't forget the rims too. One of mine had some bad curb rash and the tire was gouged too. (In fairness, it probably wasn't actually a curb that did it...)

Look it over closely. Any damage that makes it off the lot won't get fixed for free. My buddy bought a CPO 540i with some damage under the bumper cover and is having a hard time getting it fixed. (If he doesn't get it fixed for free, I'll happily post the whole story and name names.)

Rawhyde

Old 01-20-2006, 06:39 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Like KennyMooper said I would look the car over good. It's been exactly one year to the day when I got my car so let's look back at what I did...

TAKE PICTURES!
MAKE SURE IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ON ANYTHING ASK.
LOOK IT OVER.(INSIDE AND OUT)

One last word though, try not to lay rubber pulling off the lot like I did...

I can see what guys down at Dryer were thinkin when I pulled off: "Ah... another satisfied... so much for the break in period..."

Mikey

Old 01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Originally Posted by JulesMINI
My husband also drives a big truck and he is worried that something will happen to me since the car is so small.
Here are some things that might be likely to happen in a potentially dangerous situation in a MINI:

1) The MINI's superb handling will allow you to minimize the severity of if not completely AVOID the accident.
2) The MINI's 6 air bags will protect you and the rigid body will prevent the car from crushing your soft body.

These are 2 things that a big truck like a Ford F-150 cannot offer.

Want proof? Look at this comparison of identical crash test scenarios and decide which vehicle you would rather be driving!

Old 01-20-2006, 08:05 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
#1 Don't pick your nose while driving because there will always be someone looking at you & admiring your Mini

#2 Join your local Mini club. You will meet great people & go on lots of fun rides

Old 01-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Originally Posted by bamatt
Don't pick your nose while driving because there will always be someone looking at you & admiring your Mini
I've never heard anyone actually say this, but it is the honest to goodness truth!

Old 01-20-2006, 08:08 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
I've never heard anyone actually say this, but it is the honest to goodness truth!
It is the first thought that came into my head when I was driving my Mini home from the dealership cause everytime I stopped people were staring at me

Old 01-20-2006, 08:11 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Get there as soon as they open so you can take the Looooooooooooonnnnngg way home

You are getting a GREAT car.

Earl

Old 02-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Picked up my Cabrio last Saturday and was immediately stopped in my tracks by the blizzard - but today I took her out to visit a client and began my wonderful love affair with this car. Was curious about whether my Cabrio decision was the right one - and especially when I began sensing more road noise through the cloth than expected (is a window open?) but the MINI Cabrio has one thing that the hatchback can never touch - it lets that wonderful sound of the exhaust and engine through !!!

I was so mesmerized by the exhaust singing to me that I just turned off the radio and listened to the car - man, what music !! In THIS car, I will not be bothered a bit by the sonic medely coming through the fabric !!

Bill

Old 02-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Get ready for a good nights sleep AFTER picking up your new motoring machine as your face will HURT from smiling so much - have fun!!! Congrats

Donna

Quick Reply: R52 Taking delivery of my new MCSC tomorrow, any advice??