R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 CABRIO Year One...How's Your Topless Adventure Going?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Pteri
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CABRIO Year One...How's Your Topless Adventure Going?

Hi Convertible Friends and Foes,

It's been nearly a year with our MCC and I thought I would start the cabrio "year in review" thread.

I took delivery of my (very own first new car ever) BRG/GRN Cooper last fall and to this day can't believe that MINI is MINE! I get compliments literally every time I take the car out, people shadow me on streets and freeways to check the car's angles, little kids jump and point, and people shout "I love your car!"

I was mostly an introvert last fall. Now I'm a brand ambassador.

Overall reliability: I do have intermittent squeaky windows, some spidery cracks under my anthracite's clearcoat, and a stereo that can't/won't remember its random setting, but that's all piddly stuff compared to the top-down (and up!) joy.

[Oh, and I did get the thing stuck up to its axles in the mud of the Sinkyone Wilderness, but that's a story for another thread. See "Offroad Capability or Lack Thereof" ]

The car is still totally stock with the exception of a K&N air filter and my sparkly center stripe.

My experience with a couple of the convertible concerns:
  • Visibility: I immediately used the Car Talk method to adjust my mirrors and the blind spots have never bugged me.
  • Top wear: my top is barely wearing. I have faint white marks which I will have the dealer check at first service. Never had a leak or had the top fail.
  • Dark cabin: my interior is anthracite with black seats. I love the cozy feeling of the car all buttoned up and it doesn't feel cramped to me.
  • Window crescent scratches: got 'em, but never notice 'em
  • Wind deflector: I was too cheap to get it, but my husband got it for me as a gift. I LOVE it and notice when I don't have flipped up into position.
What I was stupid about:
  • Didn't get heated seats - DOH!
  • Spent money on dealer items I didn't need: Lojack, etc. (I had visions of my baby being loaded onto a flatbed to head south of the border)
What was inevitable:
  • My husband's new Purple Haze tin-top S arrives tomorrow.
Let's hear about your topless times!

Cheers all,
Teri

Old 09-29-2005, 01:18 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice write-up

Old 09-29-2005, 01:38 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
Every time it rains I feel like I have been cheated in some way and someone ought to be sending me a refund check for 25 cents or something.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:57 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by neilgj
Every time it rains I feel like I have been cheated in some way and someone ought to be sending me a refund check for 25 cents or something.
I felt the same way when I bought mine. It started raining after two days and didn't stop for what seemed like 6 months. Of course I got my money's worth this summer. With interest.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up and good timing. We took delivery of our (my ) Cabrio one year ago today....

I can honestly say this car is a total blast! I've not had one issue with windows, the top, or anything related to the top (knocking on wood...).

The only issue I've had in the past year is one remote stopped working. Got a replacement and all is good...

It is completely stock except for the wind blocker that my hubby got me for Christmas last year...I don't plan on adding any aftermarket goodies - I love it just the way it is...

I ordered it with packages 1,2, & 3, HK stereo, body color interior, and some other goodies - couldn't be happier...:smile:

I'm at 15,891 miles...

Donna

Old 09-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Pteri
3rd Gear
Happy Cabby Anniversary, Donna & Mike! :smile:

Old 09-29-2005, 05:25 PM
gbsher
2nd Gear
Just LOVE hearing about cabrios. Getting mine next year... Waiting is so tough.... :smile:

Old 09-29-2005, 07:27 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Hey Pteri !! I agree, very nice write-up

Happy anniversary Donna

I haven't had my MCc BRG/GR for a year yet. This'll be my first winter with a cabrio of any kind. I also have windows that skid.. top that shows very little wear... completely stock except for a euro plate. Have had an unusually dry summer here so I've enjoyed MANY days with the top down . I picked mine up in April, used with 1000 miles (original in-service date of 12/31/04). I'm only at 5000 miles now and it's my daily driver.

It's great to see another BRG/GR. Happy motoring :smile:

Old 09-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Pteri
3rd Gear
Hi MiniMac!

Long live the BRG/GR! There are a couple of BRG/BK beauties on NAM too.

The first week I had my car I actually drove right by a BRG/GR in a public parking garage in SF. The driver was just as surprised as I was to see a fairly rare twin so early in the product year...

I've been keeping my fingers crossed (and my 303 Cleaner and Protectant at the ready) that the top holds up well and doesn't have to be replaced. I read on MINI2 that replacement hoods are only being offered in black or blue, not green?

Though I do think the BRG would look gorgeous with a charcoal colored top, or maybe a tan in the case of your lovely cordoba interior (especially with BRG color-coded arches)...

Green Means Go! :smile:

Old 09-29-2005, 08:53 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Tomorrow is Sunnie's one year anniversay. I have absolutely no complaints The top was replaced 1 month ago & BMW seems to have come up with the right fix. It looks great:smile:

It looks like a lot of us Cabrio owners are celebrating our 1 year birthdays

Life is better topless:smile:

Lois

Old 09-29-2005, 08:54 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
And here's to the BRG Cabrios

Old 09-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Pteri
3rd Gear
Yay, Lois!

I was waiting for you to chime in, you are the original BRG Cabrio Queen to me. :smile: I'm so glad to hear you are satisfied with your roof fix.

Happy Ann'y to You and Your Cab!

Old 09-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
We took delivery in late November. LY/Black MCSC Stock First new car since the 1982 Supra. Attached Photo is from the week after delivery.

Love it. My only problem has been the top mechanism squeaking when I put it up..started around 2000 miles..but just as I was going to take it in the problem went away and hasn't recurred.

Now at about 4800 miles..put close to 2500 on in a road trip in August..Drove through Glenwood Canyon Colorado (removed any regret about getting the cabrio)..to Provo..then down to Las Vegas..Laughlin..did some Rt 66 stuff..over to the Grand Canyon..then to Monument Valley..Moab..and back to Denver. The MINI was awesome on the trip..but then I was driving alone so I didn't have space problems. Most memorable part was leaving the Grand Canyon heading for Mounment Valley. I met up with an Indie Blue S heading my way. He was cruising the two lane highway at around 90..a few times I got up around 105 while passing people. Effortless. Drop a gear and go.

I do find the lack of cargo space to be an issue. Can't really have "stuff" in the back seat with the top down..blows around. Maybe a cargo net over the load? Boot is really tiny.. I filled it with one bag, a small duffel, and other misc items on the trip. Don't know how it would have gone had my wife been along. She does not travel light.

Slight white marking on the top at the hinge..no real problem..I treated it in December with Rag Top and it hasn't needed a re-treat. No leaks. Sound system (HK) is fine..love the Xenons..Glad I got Vinyl instead of Leather..

Windscreen has become pitted..I'd say too easily..but so it goes.

Overall....I'm still thrilled. No regrets. Expect to seek out and buy an EB/White S Hatch in a year or two.

Peter
In Denver

Attached Thumbnails CABRIO Year One...How's Your Topless Adventure Going?-m1resized.jpg