R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Distracted driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:19 AM
HyTech
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distracted driver

A clown texting crossed the centerline so, to avoid a headon with both of us doing 60, I left the road and he blithely went on his way while I was knocked out, awakening as I bounced through field of grass, down an embankment, through a small stream and coming to a stop on the other side. I fully support the Oregon legislature banning all cell phone use of any kind by a driver while driving, including at stops, and slapping a $2,000 fine on offenders.
Anyway, I used to store the Mini over the summers while I traveled (I'm a teacher) and I'd had mice eating wires on other cars. My solution was to take what I emptied from the cat litter box and distributed it under the car. I've had no mice issues since.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:54 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Glad you are ok. Most of them are so focused on their texting that they don't even realize what is going on around them. People driving in the fast lane of the interstate at 40MPH while texting are also a huge hazard.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
So you put the used cat liter under the car? Did the smell get into the car?

And, can you please explain how a distracted drive let to a discussion on cat liter and mice?

Old 05-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
And, can you please explain how a distracted drive let to a discussion on cat liter and mice?
I know a lady like that. I told her how much I enjoyed a piece of cake she had baked and got a 5 minute dissertation on something I never knew existed.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
The Oregon law is rarely followed by anyone as far as I can see. I see people with the phone glued to their ears all the time. I'd make the fine a lot more than $2K and actually enforce it somehow. Of course I get distracted by females in skimpy outfits, so what are we going to do about that?

My wife has been hit twice by texting fools, once here in OR and once in NJ.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:49 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Bummer

Old 05-14-2017, 08:41 AM
HyTech
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't posted in a long time and the cat litter thing was something I wanted to share. I use the crap, the brown stuff, though the urine soaked litter would likely work as well. I didn't notice any crap smell in the car at all. But, the smell of mouse pee has been in the cars the mice have attacked. I once had to do major surgery on mice chewed wiring and believe me you'd rather pull the engine out of your Mini than replace wiring.
This was the second time a distracted driver tried to do me in. The first time I was on I-5 in southern Oregon. I was doing about 80 when I got rear ended. I kept control and in the rear view mirror saw a Pontiac sliding sideways, tires smoking as it headed into the median. He was OK but as he came up to me he was still talking on his phone and looking in his car I saw food and spilled soda all over. Eating, driving in excess of 80 and talking on his phone! From the looks of him he could have used a lot less fast food as well.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yes, had my repaired by the insurance for the mice chewing, it happened in the spring when they come out looking for food. Once I stopped parking outside in the country. I had no problems. They like the spark plug wires/boots the best, check those first for teeth marks.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172