R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Rear ended! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 AM
wilyjess
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear ended! Help!

I'm relatively upset! Yesterday I was rear ended by a kid (17 years old, phone in hand - definitely texting or something) in my 2005 Cooper S convertible.

I'm so worried that there will be something that goes wrong with the motors for the top or that the battery will explode or something else ridiculous.

Can anyone give me some advice on what, specifically, I should have them be on the look out. Honestly, this is my first accident in 15 years of driving (knock on wood). I want to make sure that my baby is taken care of. I've already had the car sent to the local BMW specific body shop as the nearest Mini sanctioned shop is over 2 hours away.

Any helps would be greatly appreciated! I have pics if anyone needs to see them!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:59 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 178 Likes on 166 Posts
With any luck the repair will be flawless... but when you pick it up... just double check to make sure you have full function and it operates without binds or hesitation. Ensure the stow position is correct and all your body lines are correct and true.

Double check function of rear boot lid, and when it is closed the gap is equal all the way around the lid.

And always check the color of the paint in the sun light...

Well, my two cents worth.

Motor on!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:21 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
How about an ankle bracelet / ignition interlock device that disables the kid's vehicle
if a signal from a turned on cell phone is detected within 5 feet of the bracelet.

Haven't worked out the details yet, but it sounds like a good idea in the making to me.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:53 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,989 Likes on 1,785 Posts
Get it to a body shop that works on MINI or BMWs .

Rear bumper and PDC ( parking distance controls ) sensor need to be checked. The exhaust , incase it was bumped forward. And the main thing is the rear drop down trunk hatch. Gaps and panels need to be perfect and match.

Post up some pics of the damage

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
The kid is still walking and talking??? I was passed on a 4 lane last weekend by a middle aged man blatantly texting. Were I in my old pickup....
If you're dealing with a BMW/MINI body shop I'd not worry a bit about it. We're dealing with the same situation with my co-pilot's CM at the moment. I've talked to the dealer recommended shop and they just exude confidence.
Pictures would be helpful but heartbreaking. Cabrios aren't supposed to get owies.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
The kid is still walking and talking??? I was passed on a 4 lane last weekend by a middle aged man blatantly texting. Were I in my old pickup....
If you're dealing with a BMW/MINI body shop I'd not worry a bit about it. We're dealing with the same situation with my co-pilot's CM at the moment. I've talked to the dealer recommended shop and they just exude confidence.
Pictures would be helpful but heartbreaking. Cabrios aren't supposed to get owies.
You would have cursed louder? Or where you thinking vehicular manslaughter? I see constant texting and cellphone stuck in ear all the time, not much you can do about it except stay home in the garage.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
You would have cursed louder? Or where you thinking vehicular manslaughter? I see constant texting and cellphone stuck in ear all the time, not much you can do about it except stay home in the garage.
Both of those, separately or at the same time plus a few other things (pre-emptive self preservation?). Lots of options enter the mind at such encounters but I've found keeping one's own counsel preferable. Examining those options can be a fun conversation opener at the old guys morning coffee gathering however...not unlike the present company.