R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 should i wait for laser blue or buy the hyper blue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
splat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should i wait for laser blue or buy the hyper blue?

I do not yet have my mini and i LOVE the laser blue cabrio but on cars.com i can find THREE laser blue cars, the closest being a days drive away and an automatic (really want manual) without heated seats or the harmon kardon stereo

on the other hand there is a 06 hyper blue mini with 32k lacking only heated seats 3 miles from my house. Hyper blue is a nice color and if there was no laser blue it would be my color of choice...

should i stick to my guns for laser blue and an indefinite search or should i fold for the one right here, That, let's be honest will also be 1-2k cheaper easily.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:52 PM
NavyNUKE
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say get exactly what you want, your money, your car, why be limited! If you can wait the 6-7 weeks, I'd say do it.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 PM
splat
2nd Gear
I've been looking for about 2 months already. There was a laser blue but i spent too long trying to decide if the color was worth the extra cost.
I decided that it was and i drove an hour to get the car to find out that they sold it the night before. I had even spoken to the salesman that morning.
needless to say i was quite angry

Old 04-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Ladidah
6th Gear
My advice is to not compromise on the manual transmission OR the heated seats. Especially not the seats! I love my heated seats so much and with a cabrio you will use them often.

I really like Laser Blue even though I've bought Hyper Blue Minis twice (1st 2005 HB MCS, 2nd 2006 HB MCC).

When I was looking for my Mini convertible on Cars.com I expanded my search to include the whole United States. When I found the perfect car I spent $120 for a one-way plane ticket to go buy it. That dealer was willing to negotiate price and others weren't. Maybe you will find the perfect MINI if you expand your search?

Old 04-24-2011, 10:05 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ladidah
My advice is to not compromise on the manual transmission OR the heated seats. Especially not the seats! I love my heated seats so much and with a cabrio you will use them often.

I really like Laser Blue even though I've bought Hyper Blue Minis twice (1st 2005 HB MCS, 2nd 2006 HB MCC).

When I was looking for my Mini convertible on Cars.com I expanded my search to include the whole United States. When I found the perfect car I spent $120 for a one-way plane ticket to go buy it. That dealer was willing to negotiate price and others weren't. Maybe you will find the perfect MINI if you expand your search?
I agree. You spend a lot more time DRIVING your car than you do looking at the outside. You will resent the auto eventually if you really want a manual, and getting the color choice isn't a worthwhile trade if you ask me.

I do not really like Chili Red, which I have, but I got a good price on a manual loaded with other options, the favorite of which is the heated seats.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 AM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
I'm biased, but I think the lazer blue is well worth your wait. It really is eye catching. It sounds like it is something that you would regret and it would always be on your mind. Definitely get what you truly desire.

I also agree with expanding your search. Even a plane ticket and long drive back could be worth your while.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM
splat
2nd Gear
I have been searching nationally for over 2 months via craigslist in major cities, cars.com, yahoo, ebay, and that other site i can't remember. Nearly no one seems to be selling laser blue in the 2007-2008 range. (I really want that matching dash) Sure there is that one in california for $27,999 but i'm buying used for a reason

Having thought about it... life is uncertain, and mine a bit more so than most, (don't want to be a big downer so i won't go into details)
So i am going to buy the hyper blue that I can get now. Normally i'd be all about waiting for the perfect color with the perfect setup but for 20 years i have lived without the wonderousness of heated seats (and there are apparently pads you can plug into the cigarette lighter) and as was proved with the laser blue that i waited one day too long on if you don't get it now you may miss out.

Have a meeting to buy the car late this week (already cancelled on him once when i thought the laser blue was going to work out) so of course the guy from AAA called to say he found a JCW 2006 hyper blue with less mileage and possibly cheaper... but it has a blue roof. as if i am not idecisive enough

Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Ladidah
6th Gear
You can get heated seats installed aftermarket, too. We paid about $500 to get them put into our Mazdaspeed 3 (they weren't even an option on that car!) and they work just great. You can't tell they're not stock.

Good luck; I hope you get a Cabrio soon! Hyper Blue is a nice color; like I said - I've bought 2 of them!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:30 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Roof color is easy to change with vinyl. Personally, color is a huge thing. If the car was free, then sure I'd take whatever color, but if I'm paying for it then I want the color I like. Having said that, when I was recently searching online for a used MINI I expanded my color choice to at least 4 colors which made searching much more successful.
Hyper Blue is a great color, if you like it and it is in your top 3, then find one with the options you like and snag it.
Good luck, however you decide .
Annette

Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 AM
splat
2nd Gear
it's a relief to know that you can get heated seats for only 500. I called the mini dealership and the upgrade was a bit more shocking.

Hyper blue is definately my second favorite color and I'm just going to try and think of it this way... If i bought the car in 2006 when i first started looking i would have bought hyper blue then the next year laser blue would have come out and i would have growled and shook my fist at all laser blue minis i saw for taunting me

cuz that's who i am

I will have my mini on friday!