R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Convenience Opening Mode - Opening roof with key

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:20 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue lightning
I just had my 07 cabrio in for it's first service and I had the remote feature turned on.
The dealer charged it as warrenty work so it was no cost to me.
All you have to do is ask for this to be turned on, there is a service bulletin for this.
Also had the day time running lights turned on, there was minimal cast around $40.
Its kind of odd that they didn't charge you for the remote feature but that they did charge you for the DRL.
Both were supposed to have been owner options that should have been addressed to you at the time of purchase.
If your dealer is like mine they probably failed to cover the options list with you at the time of delivery/purchase.
In which case they shouldn't charge you for it when you ask for them to make the change.

JMTCW

Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My M.A. says you can't have one-touch unlocking (selective unlocking turned off) with convenience opening. That's not true, is it?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 AM
blue lightning
3rd Gear
That might be true, wasn't given much information about the car when I bought it in December. I thought the $40. was a fair price to turn on the DRL. As stated the remote feature was turned on for free.

Haygood, not sure about the one-touch unlocking and convenience opening, just glad that I can open the windows and roof from a distance.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:46 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does this work on the early models as well?

Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
Wait, did they mean on the 09 convertibles, or the hardtops? My 09 ht is in production now, and would really like to have this feature!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:00 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blue lightning
I just had my 07 cabrio in for it's first service and I had the remote feature turned on. The dealer charged it as warrenty work so it was no cost to me. All you have to do is ask for this to be turned on, there is a service bulletin for this. Also had the day time running lights turned on, there was minimal cast around $40.
They should not have charged you! The process of enabling any feature involves connection the programming device and turning on the feature or features all at once. It still takes the same amount of time to enable one feature or all features
So when they charge for one and not the other it's Bulllllllllllll.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 PM
jonnyyellow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
is nov of 2004 receive date early enough? lol

mine works with the key since the day i got it.

Never had to go to the dealer

I can open and close by holding remote buttons.. Im positive about open, not positive about closing though

Old 09-12-2008, 07:39 PM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The question is, do you have is set so that you can BOTH:
1)unlock all the doors by pressing the unlock button only once, and
2) open the roof with the remote

Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
jonnyyellow
3rd Gear
Uh

I have it set so that it takes two clicks to unlock all doors. One click to unlock drivers. I think this is typical.

I can open the roof fully with the remote.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:52 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by matty125

It works on all models sold in the USA, I have a 2002 build date of MAY. There is an option sheet that the dealer give the buyer of enabling the available options.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cabriopilot
Tell me more about the Daytime Running lights!!
I like to run with my lights on all the time.. Will this option turn them off
automatically when you turn the car off?
If not, then what exactly does the daytime running light option do?

Us with Navi can just turn them on or off, and many other things
also can set 1 click unlocks all the doors

Old 09-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Old 09-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Old 09-13-2008, 08:58 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnyyellow
is nov of 2004 receive date early enough? lol

mine works with the key since the day i got it.

Never had to go to the dealer

I can open and close by holding remote buttons.. Im positive about open, not positive about closing though
As far as I know, it's never been possible to close the roof using the remote control - you either have to use the roof button on the header bar or turn the key clockwise in the door lock and hold it there until the roof's closed.

As for the one-click unlocking of all doors, I'm not positive it can be programmed on all MINIs. My wife and I both have 2006 cabrios (hers is an April 2006 build and mine is a September 2006 build), and our dealer has never been able to get one-click unlocking of both doors and the boot to work. I don't know if it's something about the cars themselves, or the version of the computer software that the dealer was using to do the programming.

I'm taking the car into a different dealer sometime during the next few weeks to have a motor mount and windshield wiper motor replaced. I'll ask them to try it and report back whether or not they're successful.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:02 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Oh, and Cybergypsy - you have a second-generation MINI (R56), so the user-programmable options in your post aren't available to cabrio owners (first-generation R52), whether or not they have the navigation system. For us, the dealer is the only one that can change 99% of the configuration options.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:55 AM
jonnyyellow
3rd Gear
ah right

i wasnt sure about closing the top

which i didnt think worked anyways

Old 09-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Oh, and Cybergypsy - you have a second-generation MINI (R56), so the user-programmable options in your post aren't available to cabrio owners (first-generation R52), whether or not they have the navigation system. For us, the dealer is the only one that can change 99% of the configuration options.
My first gen navi had same optins in hidden menu???

Old 09-14-2008, 06:00 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
As for the one-click unlocking of all doors, I'm not positive it can be programmed on all MINIs. My wife and I both have 2006 cabrios (hers is an April 2006 build and mine is a September 2006 build), and our dealer has never been able to get one-click unlocking of both doors and the boot to work. I don't know if it's something about the cars themselves, or the version of the computer software that the dealer was using to do the programming.

I'm taking the car into a different dealer sometime during the next few weeks to have a motor mount and windshield wiper motor replaced. I'll ask them to try it and report back whether or not they're successful.
I'm really suspicious of the dealer doing the programming.... I have a Sept 06 build also... and my one-click unlocking works just fine. But it DID take the dealer a couple of tries to get all the options I had specified done RIGHT...

Old 09-14-2008, 07:04 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by haygood
My M.A. says you can't have one-touch unlocking (selective unlocking turned off) with convenience opening. That's not true, is it?
It shouldn't matter...they are two seperate functions.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:06 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
I'm really suspicious of the dealer doing the programming.... I have a Sept 06 build also... and my one-click unlocking works just fine. But it DID take the dealer a couple of tries to get all the options I had specified done RIGHT...
And I think you come to my dealer???? Your tag say's Blimey right??

Come back and chat sometime and if you have any issues(not that I can work on every car that comes through the door), I'll try and make sure your concerns are covered before leaving. Or you could just request me to work on your car.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:44 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
That's interesting - did you have the one-click unlocking programmed when the car was new, or at a later time? I know the programming software changes from time to time (like when the maximum time for "pathway lighting" was shortened to 40 seconds), so I've wondered if maybe the problem was just with the software version that my dealer had when we took delivery back in 2006.

I'm curious to know whether the dealer I'm going to now will be able to program single-click unlocking the next time I take the car in.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:04 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I had it done when the car was new (Oct 13 2006 delivery) - good luck!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:26 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Well, I got my car back from the dealer today, and they were *not* able to program one-press unlocking of both doors and the boot (i.e., disabling Selective Central Unlocking). I talked to the SA about it, and he said that when they hooked up the "PROGMAN" (which I'm assuming is the computer used to change optional settings), that the option to enable/disable Selective Central Unlocking didn't even appear on the list.

He did say that he's programmed SCU on another 2006 convertible, but that he's also seen particular cars where not all of the usual options appear in the list when the car's connected to the computer.

So either one of the options that I already have selected is preventing SCU from showing up in the list, or there's something about my particular car that can't accept it.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Weird...sorry you can't get what you want....

Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Well, I got my car back from the dealer today, and they were *not* able to program one-press unlocking of both doors and the boot (i.e., disabling Selective Central Unlocking). I talked to the SA about it, and he said that when they hooked up the "PROGMAN" (which I'm assuming is the computer used to change optional settings), that the option to enable/disable Selective Central Unlocking didn't even appear on the list.

He did say that he's programmed SCU on another 2006 convertible, but that he's also seen particular cars where not all of the usual options appear in the list when the car's connected to the computer.

So either one of the options that I already have selected is preventing SCU from showing up in the list, or there's something about my particular car that can't accept it.
I have had the same problem. My body control module was replaced a year ago & my dealer has been unable to reprogram my 05 Cabrio for convenience opening & for both doors to unlock. They are telling me that it is not an option for the convenience opening on my year because of phantom opening of the roof. The unlock feature is a mystery to them I had both features when the car was new.

Lois

Quick Reply: R52 Convenience Opening Mode - Opening roof with key