North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r52-cabrio-talk-2005-2008-152/)
-   -   R52 Convenience Opening Mode - Opening roof with key (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r52-cabrio-talk-2005-2008/146693-convenience-opening-mode-opening-roof-with-key.html)

LIWexler 07-07-2008 08:46 AM

Convenience Opening Mode - Opening roof with key

I just picked up my brand new (08) MCSC last week. The next morning I tried to use the Convenience Opening feature to open up the windows and roof using the key remote. It doesn't work!

I realize this is something the dealer probably forgot to program (not surprising given the rest of my experience with them), and wanted to know if anyone knew how to activate this feature (or any others I may discover deactivated). You will help me save the considerable time it will take to track down and visit my MA.

Thanks for any information/help you can provide.

BlimeyCabrio 07-07-2008 09:21 AM

This feature is NOT enabled by default. I've heard stories of some dealers refusing to activate it now, citing new MINI policy due to safety, security or battery drain issues.

Only way to turn this on is to have the dealer do it.... unfortunately.

See this thread and ensure you know ALL the options you want enabled / disabled before you visit the dealer - you may have to pay them... might as well only pay them once...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=36610

Cubfan 07-07-2008 09:23 AM

It's four presses, one to unlock driver's side, one to unlock passenger side, then press and hold a loooooong time to open sunroof and lower the windows, then a fourth time holding loooong, to open the roof.

It may be turned on and you're just not doing it right. I thought mine was disabled until I figured out how long you have to hold the button down.

Range of the keyfob isn't very good unless you press the metal piece against your chinbone... then it works from about 100ft. When you see the lights blink, you did the first press, then do the rest... if you're lucky (and time it all out properly), your car will be open by the time you arrive at it.

This is a feature that doesn't work as well as it should. I believe there's a way to program one keypress to open all doors, which would eliminate one of the presses. Don't know how to do that, though... think maybe the dealer has to do it.

LIWexler 07-07-2008 09:47 AM

Thanks Blimey... That is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I just couldn't find the thread. From a dealer that didn't even give me a keychain when I bought the car, there is no doubt in my mind they will try to charge me for a feature like this that is in the owners manual. Should be interesting.

Thanks also CubFan. I know I am doing it correctly because it worked on my old BMW. It is a great feature. FYI the mental image of a Cub Fan walking through a parking lot with his car keys under his chin is doing my Milwaukee heart good. Go Brewers!

BlimeyCabrio 07-07-2008 09:51 AM

There are some other threads out there with better lists - you can google:

programming list site:northamericanmotoring.com

and find some other threads that have the better PDF programming list attached (the links in the thread I posted were dead).

Cubfan 07-07-2008 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by LIWexler (Post 2349129)
FYI the mental image of a Cub Fan walking through a parking lot with his car keys under his chin is doing my Milwaukee heart good. Go Brewers!

Yeah, good luck, but you'll be taking it on the chin yet again this year.:lol:

I did notice your boys bet the farm on being able to catch the first place team this weekend. Just as fruitless as other sure bets like Suppan, Gagme, and others, but some never learn. Will be fun to watch develop. :popcorn:

vinman12 07-07-2008 12:48 PM

I just purchased my car and it did not come from the factory programmed this way. I had to return to the dealer and get it done. I also had them program the daytime running lights (you think this would be default, but wasn't).

LIWexler 07-07-2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cubfan (Post 2349318)
Yeah, good luck, but you'll be taking it on the chin yet again this year.:lol:

I did notice your boys bet the farm on being able to catch the first place team this weekend. Just as fruitless as other sure bets like Suppan, Gagme, and others, but some never learn. Will be fun to watch develop. :popcorn:

This place is buzzing about "the trade" today.

Whatever happens it should be fun, but lets keep our priorities in the proper order. It is a heck of a lot easier to drive your Mini to Miller Park then to Wrigley Field. Given my choice of open motoring vs 30 minutes crammed in a train with the guy who had salami for lunch, I will take the former.

Hence, although I grew up in the North Suburbs of Chicago.. Go Brewers!

Cubfan 07-07-2008 01:19 PM

Heh. I much prefer Wrigley (best stadium in the Majors) to your "Cabrio" stadium. :lol:

I may see you there before the end of the season though... It may be time for a "Mini Goes to Miller" trip later this year.

cabriopilot 07-07-2008 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by vinman12 (Post 2349501)
I also had them program the daytime running lights (you think this would be default, but wasn't).

Tell me more about the Daytime Running lights!!
I like to run with my lights on all the time.. Will this option turn them off
automatically when you turn the car off?
If not, then what exactly does the daytime running light option do?

:popcorn:

2phun 07-07-2008 02:40 PM

The running lights use your highbeams at 50% whenever the car is on.

vinman12 07-07-2008 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by cabriopilot (Post 2349652)
Tell me more about the Daytime Running lights!!
I like to run with my lights on all the time.. Will this option turn them off
automatically when you turn the car off?
If not, then what exactly does the daytime running light option do?

:popcorn:

Yes the lights go on when I start the car and off when I turn off the car. When I manually turn on the headlights I guess that just overrides them. I also wanted lights on all the time so when they said they could program them I had it done.

Not sure if Mini's have an option of auto headlights that sense darkness so I have to remember to turn off my headlights when I get out at night now. Used to that happening automatically.

I think it should automatically come with daytime running lights as a safety feature.

Cubfan 07-07-2008 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by vinman12 (Post 2349813)
I think it should automatically come with daytime running lights as a safety feature.

I don't like the daylight running lights. I'm glad it's optional. It's the law with motorcycles, but thankfully not with automobiles.

Zipimini 07-11-2008 09:08 AM

do you have to have a certain package for the running lights to come on?? Or is it totally a programming thing at the dealer?

vinman12 07-11-2008 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Zipimini (Post 2357619)
do you have to have a certain package for the running lights to come on?? Or is it totally a programming thing at the dealer?

I have a base mini, so I would say it's totally a programming thing.

MINIFVR 07-11-2008 10:23 AM

I don't use the remote because I don't want to wear out the battery. Im sure its fine to do it once in awhile. Some people have quirks when dropping their tops...its quite interesting.

Cubfan 07-11-2008 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by MINIFVR (Post 2357755)
I don't use the remote because I don't want to wear out the battery. Im sure its fine to do it once in awhile.

Don't you guys know that the battery in the keyfob recharges while it's in the ignition?

From page 24 of the 2008 manual: "In every master key with remote control, there is an extended-life battery as a power supply that is charged automatically in the ignition loack as you drive. You should therefore use each master key at least twice a year to maintian the charge status."

If it's like most rechargable batteries, it actually helps if you work it more between recharges. Don't think there are battery issues with the key by opening the top. I don't know if that applies to earlier model years, however.

Mishka 07-11-2008 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cubfan (Post 2358193)
Don't you guys know that the battery in the key fob recharges while it's in the ignition?

From page 24 of the 2008 manual: "In every master key with remote control, there is an extended-life battery as a power supply that is charged automatically in the ignition Lock as you drive. You should therefore use each master key at least twice a year to maintian the charge status."

If it's like most rechargable batteries, it actually helps if you work it more between recharges. Don't think there are battery issues with the key by opening the top. I don't know if that applies to earlier model years, however.

The battery people refer to as wearing out from remote opening is the car battery, not the battery in the key fob.

Cubfan 07-11-2008 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mishka (Post 2358231)
The battery being referred to is the car battery, not the battery in the key fob.

Umm, that one recharges, too. :grin:

Mishka 07-11-2008 02:28 PM

Yep, but that's the battery the dealerships are worried about, and therefore many will not program the remote opening.

(Guess they don't know it will recharge.:lol: )

Cubfan 07-11-2008 02:33 PM

Gee, you think they should also disable the stereo to keep people from playing it without actually running the car? Don't you hate it when you have to suffer as society seeks to protect dumb people from themselves? :roll:

Mishka 07-11-2008 02:58 PM

They kind of have already. The radio will shut off after 15 or 20 minutes.

I also remember reading somewhere that the convenience opening will not work if the battery charge drops below a certain level. That, to me, pretty well ruins any arguement by the dealer not to activate the function due to potential battery issues.

vinman12 07-11-2008 06:37 PM

My dealer told me about the key functions and offered to program it for me. That was about 1.5 months ago when I purchased the car. So they had no problem with doing it. I did have to return to get it done I their service was not open on a Saturday when I got the car. It was also no charge to do it.

I really do not understand how the car battery would go dead since right after I put the top down using the key I start and drive the car which as stated above will charge the battery.

BlimeyCabrio 07-12-2008 05:00 AM

I really do believe (though I have no evidence) that the issue (if it really every happened at all) was mostly with display cabrios on the showroom floor... if a MA demoed this feature several times while the car sat in the showroom.... dead battery....

Or even techs testing / adjusting tops in the bays might do it.... several cycles between car starts...

But that's not how users do it in the real world.... we'll rarely do more than one cycle...

Now, security is another issue... there HAVE been reports of accidental openings with the key in someone's purse or pocket... come back to the car and SURPRISE the windows/sunroof are open....

Cubfan 07-12-2008 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio (Post 2359273)
Now, security is another issue... there HAVE been reports of accidental openings with the key in someone's purse or pocket... come back to the car and SURPRISE the windows/sunroof are open....

My dealer told me the same thing, but I don't believe it. Knowing that you have to be standing practically 10-20 feet from the car, and the press sequence just right (2 quick presses, one long, and another long), I don't see how an accidental opening is possible.

Kinda like putting toothpicks in your pocket and accidentally building a log cabin. :roll: