R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Cat must die!!! Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:55 PM
motogeno
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat must die!!! Need advice.

Okay, my cabrio stays under a carport but someone in my neighborhood has a free roaming cat that is climbing on my car!!!!! I've contacted animal control and have a trap currently set up in my yard (I don't have the heart to do anything more severe, even though talking to the neighbors only proved that they think I'm satan for asking them to keep the cat inside).

My question isn't about catching, or killing, the cat - more about how to repair the damage that I see. Right now there are several threads on the top that are roughed up and looking somewhat frayed (they are only individual, very small threads right now). Is there a cloth top sealer, repair kit, or anything that I could apply like a glue in extremely small quantity that would assure that these little boogered threads don't turn into a much bigger issue? Thanks for your advice!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
depending on the emissions levels from the CAT, you might be able to justify replacement with an after-market CAT, however CAT removal is strictly verboten

i too have encountered a few CATastrophic incidents, one of which left me virtually CATaleptic.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co....php?p=2195818

(hey, whattayaexpect for a 5:18 am post)

Old 04-29-2008, 03:20 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to a big pet store, like PetSmart and ask them. The cat is doing the same thing on your top that some of them do on your jeans when they sit in your lap. You need a repellant. Have you ever wanted a python? Seriously, there are probably things that will work without harming your car. I once lived in a house with bats living between the old wood shingles and the metal roof that had been put over them. What finally worked was hanging old nylons with mothballs in them in the attic - it took about 20 boxes of mothballs but they moved out. Actually that is cheap & easy enough that you might want to try it. You could hang them so they are right above where the cat is doing its thing. That said, I would immediately go get the smallest size blue plastic tarp, trim the edges & grommets off, cut it to fit the roof and toss it over the top, because that cat has to be stopped NOW.

Last edited by davavd; 04-29-2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:55 AM
cg1
3rd Gear
Pet stores sell something called "scat mat" I havn't seen it in years, but its zaps the cat and it won't hop up again. I used it on my house cats to keep um off the couch....that was years ago, one zap and the couch has been off limits for years.

Forget the trap - what good will that do you? you want to scold the ***** before you let him go? That is unless you are planning on killing the cat -- which is illegal, (rat poison in tuna fish). I suppose if he doesn't have a license then animal control would take it away. But you run the chance of breaking a kids heart.

You can cover the rag with something.

Personally I would go with a deterrent. the zapper mat, or commercially available cat deterrents.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Good luck! Personally, I think all cats belong indoors and all dogs belong strictly on their own land. I hate marauding pets that do damage to my property and leave their calling cards behind. To me, if you trap it, animal control should take it away and deal with the owner. BTW, I own a dog and he stays indoors or outside in his fenced in yard. If he starts barking when outside, he gets brought in.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Methman
3rd Gear
My cat used to live in the garage and it would hop on my car. I bought a car cover, but I still didn't like the cat on my roof. What I would do is sprinkle some regular pepper on the roof and hood areas of the car cover. The cat stopped hopping up there.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:04 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It the cat has been "kneading" your top, which is what it sounds like, I don't know of ANY repair method that I'd be happy with. What you need is a video of the cat kneading the roof of your car... shot after you've already alerted your neighbors to the problem, that would be worth a new convertible top in court...

Old 04-29-2008, 08:51 AM
meg
5th Gear
I had a cat which used the top of my car as it's bed for several weeks. I think because it was black, in the sun it was a warm place. You can try using Bitter Apple, available at places like Pet Co to try and keep the cat away.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A picture or especially video of said cat clawing and kneading your top, presented along with an estimate of top replacement to the cat owners should be more than sufficient to have them keep the cat indoors.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 AM
IamSMC
2nd Gear
I'm having the same problem with stray cats. I've tried the spray deterents, but that gets tiring reapplying the same area all the time.

I need something permanent!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
bcski
3rd Gear
How about getting a dog?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Meani
1st Gear
Cat problems

Cat Stop at http://www.contech-inc.com/

Works well, as long as batteries hold out.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 AM
hollis3
Coordinator :: Motoring Underground Club Forum
as methman stated, pepper works great keeping cats away.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:30 AM
yumyumdriver
2nd Gear
You might try contact paper placed upside down. When I had cats we couldn't keep them off of our kitchen counters and had tried just about every trick, then an animal trainer suggested we use the contact paper or less tacky drawer liner paper, used both and they worked like a charm for us.

Good Luck,
Ocean

Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 PM
motogeno
2nd Gear
Thanks for all of the replies - my question is actually more about how to repair the little threads on the top that are a bit frayed - is there any kind of convertible repair glue or anything. Right now there is no problem, but I'm afraid that the second that the thread actually tears all the way through then I'll have a bigger problem, and so I'm looking to put just the tiniest little dab of whatever on the few little boogered threads to keep them from ever becoming a bigger issue.

I've already spent $200 on Cat repellents, motion activated noise makers, and motion activated sprinkler systems. I don't want to have to fool with a tarp or cover every night (what a huge pain in the ****, and that's the whole reason why I have a carport). One way or another this cat will be stopped - Animal Control gave me a cat trap that we've been setting out with sardines in it to catch the cat, although it's apparently well fed and hasn't had an interest in it yet!!! This cat is going to disappear one way or another (I'm not going to kill it animal lovers). The best part is that one of my neighbors with an outside cat didn't seem to care at all when I confronted them, so animal control payed them a visit and now I get evil stares when I leave my neighborhood. Can you believe that their mad at me for making them keep their cat inside??? You really have to be an unbelievably self absorbed person to think that this should be my problem to deal with!!!

Anyway, back to the real question - anyone got any suggestions? It's not torn up like the cat was sitting there kneeding the top, but where the cat walked there are about 4 or 5 marks on individual threads, not to mention the scratches in the paint down to the primer!!! Thanks for the help,

Chris

Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
xbook
Banned
I would like to suggest you try either a Pinot Noir or a Merlot, when preparing cat. You can also try using a peanut sauce to add to the overall flavor. Or, maybe even go with a bit of ethnic flair:

Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
kgardnez
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First get some good pictures of the cat on your car and the marks, so you can recover costs from the owner!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
DPCooperS
3rd Gear
.22 subsonic hollow point. No more issues

Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
markp
Rush "Roll the Bones"
There was a dept store in downtown Houston that had Pigeon problems and they electrified the Spikes on the entrance overhangs.. To say the least after a customer complaints of fried bird they stopped......

Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Li'l Red's Rider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DPCooperS
Aguila Colibri.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, so I don't know if this will work on what you have, but it might. It's called Canvas Cement and I've seen it at camping/outdoor stores, sold as a repair item for tents and campers and sails and the like. It may work for what you need, used it teensy amounts. It makes canvas/fabric waterproof, so if you use it on a tiny spot, it should prevent leaks. I don't know what it *looks* like on though...I'd do a test patch first.

I've only ever seen it in tent repair kits, but it might be sold individually if you look hard enough. I did a quick perusal online and was able to find what the kits look like:

You want the stuff that's in the tube...but the whole kit is maybe $5. Check camping/outdoor stores, and if that doesn't work, just google "canvas cement" and you'll find places that sell it online.

I also agree with those who recommend photographing the cat on your car, and the damage, and getting an estimate for repairs to the paint and ragtop (if any) and presenting them to the cat's owner. You may find they are more willing to keep their cat inside if they see what it's going to cost them.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 PM
motogeno
2nd Gear
Well photos or video would be great, but I only see the aftermath and not the actual cat on the car. Anyone know where/how to hook up a motion activated camera on the cheap? I have no idea, with the exception of staying up all night, how to photograph or video the cat. The canvas repair kit might work - I just need a microscopic little drop to put on a thread - much like touch up paint.

The thing that sucks is that no court would look at the minute damage caused now as conclusive proof as to why the top may need to be replaced down the line. It's like a car accident that causes a problem that doesn't emerge until months down the line - insurance will never pay for the repair if the damage isn't immediate.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 PM
motogeno
2nd Gear
Yeah, I thought about a pellet gun as well - quiet and lethal to a cat. I hate cats too, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it - it's not the cat's fault, it's their dumb%ss, inconsiderate, redneck owners!!!!!!!

Unless you suggestion was for the owners

Old 04-29-2008, 08:32 PM
ChiliSteve
1st Gear
O.S.O.K!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
babydoc
1st Gear
Try mousetraps, gently placed upside down on the roof. Don't place too near the front, you don't want it landing on the bonnet when the cat nudges it and it pops up in the air. The mousetraps have scared away one of my two offending cats so far.

I'll have to try the pepper technique. I'm tired of cat-paw smudges on my freshly washed MINI.

If you are going to use mothballs make sure they are suspended above the car or in a container that a child can't get into. Last thing we need is you trying to protect your car and being accused of putting poison where kids could get it!

Good luck with your thread repair.

Quick Reply: R52 Cat must die!!! Need advice.