R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Squeak fixed (embarrassingly simple)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Squeak fixed (embarrassingly simple)

The last few weeks, I've had a squeaking noise from the rear seat area every time I hit a rough patch of road, or any time I shifted in my seat. In short, it was squeaking pretty much constantly.

Today, I realized that the driver's seat had gotten slid all the way back on its rail (I usually have it one click forward from all the way back).

The plastic seatback was rubbing against the leading edge of the rear seat (leather), and that's what was causing the squeak. I re-adjusted the seat back to where I normally have it, and the squeak's gone now.

I was afraid it was something to do with my swaybar or coilovers, but sometimes you luck out and it's something trivial.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:12 AM
IamSMC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great DIY

Old 03-24-2008, 05:50 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
One click from the back???? Your either really tall or have really long toes

Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My legs could reach from that far back (and I'm not tall...) but I'd have to drive with my fingertips and with my arms fully extended.... I drove with the seat way back when I first got the car... then adopted the "wrist should easily rest on top of the wheel" rule and found that it makes my twisty driving much better... and it's not as much of a shock to the system when I have one of my kids sitting behind me (who, alas, have legs).

Old 03-24-2008, 06:40 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
ScottRiqui -- I went through that same issue about 2 weeks ago. The weird thing is that I drove all the way back for a year without a squeak -- and then 2 weeks ago it started to squeak and I've had to move it forward one click.
Temperamental little cars, aren't they?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniDaMoocher
One click from the back???? Your either really tall or have really long toes
Not super-tall (I'm 6'2"), but I do have a 36-inch inseam and correspondingly-long monkey-arms, so having the seat one click from the back gives me just enough legroom, and I can still rest my wrists comfortably on the top edge of the steering wheel like BlimeyCabrio describes.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow! There must be some kind of cool career in the circus (or at least carnival) for someone with your anatomical anomalies...

Old 03-24-2008, 08:58 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
or back room movies, if what they say about a man with monkey arms is half true.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 AM
miniwanter
Neutral
I was searching for "tall drivers" and found this. I'm thinking about getting a mini, but am also 6'2" with a 36" inseam and "correspondingly long monkey arms". (never had a job offer from the circus Just wondering if the car is big enough for me to drive comfortably. Any other tall drivers out there? I also found a thread regarding sunroof/reduced head room. Any thoughts?

Old 06-05-2008, 01:01 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
I'm 6'1" and have absolutely no problem driving the cabrio (even with the top up )

My father is 6'4" and also has no problem driving the car comfortably when he visits.

I can't speak to hardtops and "issues" with the sunroof (your post is in the cabrio forum), but I have heard of much taller drivers than I in the tintops.

See:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=tall+drivers

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tallest+driver

Last edited by eager2own; 06-05-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM
J3kidford
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniwanter
I was searching for "tall drivers" and found this. I'm thinking about getting a mini, but am also 6'2" with a 36" inseam and "correspondingly long monkey arms". (never had a job offer from the circus Just wondering if the car is big enough for me to drive comfortably. Any other tall drivers out there? I also found a thread regarding sunroof/reduced head room. Any thoughts?
I'm 6' but also have a 36" inseam and I fit just fine. In fact I don't even have my seat all the way back. And the seat tilts low if you want so you're not sitting up high. I love my car!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:25 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
I'm 6'-2", wide, with 37" sleeves on my dress shirts, and I feel like I have more room inside the drivers section of my Mini than I had in my old SUV. On the other hand, I occasionally give my boss (6'-5", probably 350#) a ride, and with the passenger seat sitting a bit higher than the drivers seat, he does look rather silly in my car IMHO.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:04 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
The last few weeks, I've had a squeaking noise from the rear seat area every time I hit a rough patch of road, or any time I shifted in my seat. In short, it was squeaking pretty much constantly.

Today, I realized that the driver's seat had gotten slid all the way back on its rail (I usually have it one click forward from all the way back).

The plastic seatback was rubbing against the leading edge of the rear seat (leather), and that's what was causing the squeak. I re-adjusted the seat back to where I normally have it, and the squeak's gone now.

I was afraid it was something to do with my swaybar or coilovers, but sometimes you luck out and it's something trivial.
This happened to me too. I kept hearing this annoying noise that sounded like I had a frog in my car. I thought it was coming from the dash area but it turns out I just didn't have the passenger seat fully latched in the position it was in. When I moved the passenger seat foward, it went away.