R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 What do you think about MINI X?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:10 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think about MINI X?

Hi all.

I am getting pretty close to ordering my first mini and would like opinions on the direction I'm heading in. Based on your posts, my budget, wants, needs, can-live-withouts, I've configured mini-x (not named yet) as shown in the printout below from the MiniUSA website. Any opinions on the direction I'm heading? Am I leaving off something that I will regret? Should I take something else off?

I am having a tough time with the sport package. Originally, I was going to just add the Xenon's and leave the rest off. A buddy at work talked me into the 17" wheels, which then makes the entire package only $100 more. I don't really want the bonnet strips, nor care that strong about the DSC. But for only $100 it seems like the way to go. Unless of course he's wrong about the 17" wheels in which case I can go back to the way I had it and save $700.

Thanks for your help, Jon

2007 MINI Cooper S Convertible
Base MSRP* $25,400
Destination & Handling $650

paint
Pepper White Body Color $0
Black Top STD
Body Color Mirrors STD

package
Cold Weather Package $300
Heated Front Seats
Heated Side Mirrors and Washer Jets
Sport Package $1,400
Dynamic Stability Control
Front Fog Lamps
Xenon Headlamps w/Power Wash
17" 5-Spoke Bullets (Performance)
Black Bonnet Stripes

performance
Sport Suspension STD
Limited Slip Differential $500
6-Speed Getrag Manual STD
All Season Tires $0

cockpit
Sport Seats STD
Cloth: Space Grey $0
Park Distance Control STD
Cockpit Chrono Pack $300
On-Board Computer INC
3-Spoke w/Cruise and Multifunction $250
8-Spkr. Harman Kardon Sound System $550
Center Arm Rest $200
Surface Pepper White $200

TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $29,750

accessory**
Black Rubber Floor Mat (front) (installation not incl.) $55
Black Rubber Floor Mat (back) (installation not incl.) $30
Black Rubber Floor Mat (boot) (installation not incl.) $54

TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $139
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $29,750

TOTAL COMBINED $29,889

Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 PM
ThomB
5th Gear
Try to get the dealer to throw in the floor mats... Heck, you're spending 29 grand anyway....

Looks like a sweet ride...

Old 08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lose the crono pack

Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I went the same way as you're proposing, with the sport pkg. The 17" 5-spoke Bullet Wheels are among the lightest stock MINI wheels, and I thought they looked pretty good.

I switched over to 16" aftermarket wheels and non-runflat tires within about 5000 miles... Very Happy with summer tires and a little more flex in the sidewalls for driving on uneven concrete slab freeways. Also saved some weight by going to aftermarket wheels an non-runflats.

My first mod was GBMINI's Auto-Up Window Circuit w/ DSC "Track Mode" (Defaults to OFF when you start the car.) I found the combination of the 6-spd Getrag's lower gearing, combined with Limited-Slip Diff and lighter wheels/tires made the DSC's intrusions much more intrusive (Cutting power just when I needed it as I was making a right turn into flowing traffic, for example...).

The Xenon's are great. The performance runflats and 17" Bullets are not as good as I had expected, and the DSC is useless to me (Unless I get an aftermarket ECU flash that reduces the intrusiveness). The foglights are extremely useful here on the coast, especially in the cooler parts of the year, so it's a tough call.

I recommend searching for posts about DSC, and spend some time reading the various opinions. It's a complicated issue which I do not intend to open back up again: there are strong opinions either way. If you really only wanted the Xenons from the Sport pkg. I'd suggest doing that, and going aftermarket for better wheels and tires. (I've still got my original perfromance runflats and 17" 5-spoke Bullets in bags in my storage area, with about 5k miles on them. I've put 23k miles on my aftermarket wheels and two different sets of non-runflat summer tires, and I AIN'T going back!

Nice configuration, by the way!

_Dave_

[edit] PS: I love my chrono pack!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
kreative
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have a nice config there, and pepper white is one of my fave colors for a ragtop (the other being AB).

I really like the colors and materials of the Sidewalk pkg, including the wheels, so given what you've put in here, I think I'd just start w/ the base + sidewalk + cold weather + chrono, LSD optional. I think the total comes out to be $30650. so about $1k more than what you configured. Sidewalk just looks so sweet! So $1k for nice wheels, leather, nice steering wheel and trim, and chome line interior I think is a great deal.

But, if you're on a budget, and want to cut back, I tend to lean more towards performance, so I'd cut the Xenons, big wheels and HK sound. I'd go w/ the DSC and LSD. If you really want 17"s you can always go aftermarket.

I'd definitely keep the Chrono pack though...it's something I really wish they brought over to the R56.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Dave, thanks for the thorough response. I will spend some more time reviewing DSC posts. One of the reasons I was not going to go for the 17's was that the roads in Denver generally suck. I'm currently driving an accord with 15" wheels and Dunlap D60/A2's which are decent dry weather tires considering the size. Even with these tires, I'm constantly getting pulled around by the uneven pavement. I figured that would only get worse with the lower profile tires. When I test drove different models I tried to feel the difference between them and I don't recall noticing much difference, but there wasn't really any type of driving which would highlight the differences. On the other hand as Kreative states, the sidewalk wheels look sweet so there is definitely the vanity factor. I am going with the Xenon's, Chrono pack, and LSD. My philosophy on night driving is the more light the better. As far as the chrono pack goes, it's a personal choice but I think it looks much better. The LSD may not be necessary, but I am concerned about the snow and as far as I can tell it should help a lot. That's also why I'm going with all season tires (kind of surprised no one commented on that one). Once I reach the point of tire replacement I probably wont fork out the money for runflats either, though I am a little apprehensive about not having any flat capabilities.

Kreative, you opened up a can of worms. I never considered the Sidewalk option because I thought it was $4000. I redid the configuration and your right it's a little more than $1000 more than the way I had it with a price tag at $31,100. I like the wheels a lot better than any of the other choices. I'm not sure about the seats yet. I'll have to see if I can find some to look at before I make my decision. In any case, thanks for the advise. Even if I don't go that route, I'm glad my decision will be based on knowledge rather than ignorance. It sure is easy to pump the cost balloon up and up. When I started the $29K was only a little over my original budget, and now I'm justifying $31K!

Thanks to all for your responses, Jon

Old 09-01-2007, 07:48 AM
lmpdx
Neutral
Don't give up on the H/K until you give it a good listen. It's very good, and the standard system is pretty bad.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:21 AM
kreative
4th Gear
Hey Jon, glad I could "help" =D It's definitely easy to get the costs up there b/c all the options are so desireable. I'd definitely see if you can find a Sidewalk so you can see & feel the interior. I personally think it's gorgeous, and would get it if I was getting a ragtop ;-)

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll be happy w/ whichever you choose!

Old 09-01-2007, 09:28 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rataha
lose the crono pack
I'll see your lose it and raise you a keep it.

We could do this all day.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:43 AM
conekillersti
1st Gear
IMHO the LSD is a must have

Old 09-02-2007, 12:13 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Thanks guys (gals?). Both the chrono pack and LSD are definitely in. Still not sure about the sidewalk @ $31K vs no sidewalk @ $30K. Also, I've been kind of talked into the sport package for the 17's and DSC, though originally I was going without them (would have been $29K). I'm going to visit the dealer tomorrow if he has some of these options on the lot to see/feel. If I don't go sidewalk, I'm thinking cloth seats are the way to go but I haven't seen them yet. Also, I'm pretty sure every mini I've been in has had the chrome lined interior, but I can't be sure and don't know what the interior looks like without it. It's these little details that keep getting in the way.

Thanks for the feedback. Jon

Old 09-02-2007, 04:09 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
I love my cloth seats! It is 102 today in the shade, and I don't have that stick to the seat river of sweat stuck to the seat feal when I get out. Of course, you do have to clean them and treat them occasionally.... I would imagine that the cloth would be better in the winter also (lived in Boulder for 11 years with cloth seats in all cars to avoid the cold leather/vinyl shock).

Keep us posted with your final answer, and happy motoring! Lots of great roads out there for a Mini!

Old 09-02-2007, 05:45 PM
dscabrio
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NIce choices! After getting mine 18 months (& 27000 miles ago), I would skip the chrono pack option (too much clutter) and add the rear fog. This will fill out your toggle panel nicely and get rid of that no-foglight cover in the rear. Like the LSD, it's cheaper to do upfront than later. As for the rims and wheels, you may end up going aftermarket anyway. The Cold Weather and Sport Package are nice additions; if you are not going aftermarket with the stereo, the HK is good. You'll be happy with the choices you've made.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hesitate to bring it up, but...have you driven the R56? I love, love, love the turbo torque. Knowing the convertible is going to be upgraded soon, I might be tempted to wait. Not that I want to cloud up your decision making...

My other comment is that I'd never buy wheels through the dealer. They're too pricey. Get the cheapest rims, then either buy the OEM wheels you want second-hand from someone on here, or get something lighter/better from the aftermarket for the same money or less.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

P.S. Cute screen name.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:10 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Thanks dscabrio. Right now I like the look of the chrono package so much better, but I haven't driven one with it (yet) and have a small concern that I won't be able to see the speedometer behind the wheel. I will prove this out one way or the other before I order, but for now it's in. I wasn't going to spend the money on the rear fog lights. Your the second recommendation to spend the money just to fill out the toggle panel. Frankly, I don't mind the gap. But I was thinking that if I could add an identical switch in that slot for use as a kill switch it would be a great (un)hidden location. I'm definitely not going after market on the stereo. My 92 accord has been broken into twice because of the after market stereo. I may add the amp one day, but for now it's the HK upgrade.

I did drive the R56 Mach V Dan and I too loved it. In fact I toyed with the same idea you offer about waiting the year. However, I decided that I didn't want to go that route for several reasons beyond the obvious wait. One, I don't think my Honda will make it without putting more money into it than I really want to spend. Second, the current model is as close to bug free as it's going to get. Getting the first 09 will be great as far as the turbo, but could likely have a bunch of new model issues which I don't want to deal with. As far as the wheels go both your and dscabrio's comments are right in line where I started this adventure. I would probably be happy with the 16's, and even if not, they could be a great winter rim if I upgrade later. But that wont be a choice if I go sidewalk which is still up in the air. Also, I think I have myself talked into DSC, so wouldn't I be giving away a bunch of money by taking all the sport package except the wheels?

Thanks again for your help. Jon

Old 09-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Tamson
2nd Gear
Get the Sidewalk package!! It's really gorgeous! Very worth the cash IMHO.

I have the chrono pack, and if I had to do over, I would not get it. I'd get the rear fog instead (or maybe something else). I'm sort of regretting (and this is only just a little) that I didn't get the nav system. I may rethink that for the next one.

The wheels look great. I get tons of compliments on the cool wheels. I think they are better than any other of the options offered for the cabrio.

Look forward to hearing what you decide!

Last edited by Tamson; 09-02-2007 at 10:56 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the wheels :)
Old 09-03-2007, 07:55 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tamson
Get the Sidewalk package!! It's really gorgeous! Very worth the cash IMHO.

I have the chrono pack, and if I had to do over, I would not get it. I'd get the rear fog instead (or maybe something else). I'm sort of regretting (and this is only just a little) that I didn't get the nav system. I may rethink that for the next one.

The wheels look great. I get tons of compliments on the cool wheels. I think they are better than any other of the options offered for the cabrio.

Look forward to hearing what you decide!
Tamson, thanks for the great comments. I'm glad you love your new sidewalk. I agree that the wheels are awesome, but as you can see from above it's proving to be one of the really tough decisions.

I don't know if there are any sidewalks in the Denver area. I posted a call out in 5280 but have had no response thus far. It would be great to actually see one in person, but I'm having a tough time just finding pics. Bummer your a vote against the chrono pack :(.

BTW: Anyone own a PW Sidewalk with pics care to steer me to your gallery? Would be most appreciated!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 AM
AnnJones
3rd Gear
Pepper White Sidewalk

Try this thread. Jerseygirl has a MCc Sidewalk
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=jerseygirl

Ann

Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Thanks AnnJones for the link. The WP Sidewalk looks great! I like the mods they did changing the inside from Anthracite to PW. Looks better than the original for sure.

Well for those following my plight, I went down to Ralph Schomp today to discuss some of the above issues, and low and behold the sales manager is driving a AB Sidewalk. My new favorite salesman Neil and I took it out for a drive into the mountains and it was incredible! Winding around on those mountain curves with the red rock and blue sky was almost as great as screaming around the hairpins. The only bummer was that it was AB and not PW. But then again had it been PW I would have had to buy it and I won't be ready to do that financially until November. I really liked the seats, the leather is awesome. About the only thing I didn't prefer was the anthracite dash which as Jerseygirl can attest can be changed out if necessary. So if you haven't guessed by all this I'm 100% on board going Sidewalk. I guess the last few hurdles will be to take the Mrs. down there and make sure she is ok with it (don't think I can go wrong there), choosing between PW and SS, and make a final decision on when to order. Because of money I need to wait until the middle of November, so I need to decide if it's better to wait an extra month to order an 08. Might be worth it since it's winter here anyway and why not drive an 08? But then again, have I lost my mind thinking I can wait an extra minute! Thanks to all who helped me through this and I can't wait to show you'all mini X once she's home. Jon

Old 09-10-2007, 04:29 PM
kreative
4th Gear
DaMoocher, I think you're able to order 08 Cabrio's now. It's the coupes and Clubmans that have to wait until Dec to order.

Nice config! Glad you're going w/ the Sidewalk and Chrono...I love both packages and would definitely spec them if I was getting a vert. I personally like the PW (and save the extra $$!), but the SS is a very nice color as well. Can't go wrong with either!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:09 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Go for the PW dash in the sidewalk if you can, that would look sexy!

I've got the chrono pack and wish I would've just bought the OBC instead. Now I wish I had the big speedo in the center, but oh well.

Oh, and also... go aftermarket for your stripes. You'll find many more varieties and it'll help you stand out even more (not that you'll need to with a sidewalk cabio).

Last edited by VicSkimmr; 09-10-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kreative
DaMoocher, I think you're able to order 08 Cabrio's now. It's the coupes and Clubmans that have to wait until Dec to order.

Nice config! Glad you're going w/ the Sidewalk and Chrono...I love both packages and would definitely spec them if I was getting a vert. I personally like the PW (and save the extra $$!), but the SS is a very nice color as well. Can't go wrong with either!
I'm right there with you. Tough call between the PW and SS. Like them both, and will probably go PW only because it's $500 cheaper. I spoke with my dealer (is that an MA?, forgive me but I'm still a newbie) about ordering an 08 several times and he told me he has no info on the 08's and probably won't until December. Where did you hear that you can order a cabrio now? Maybe I should call another dealer and see what they say.

Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
Go for the PW dash in the sidewalk if you can, that would look sexy!

I've got the chrono pack and wish I would've just bought the OBC instead. Now I wish I had the big speedo in the center, but oh well.

Oh, and also... go aftermarket for your stripes. You'll find many more varieties and it'll help you stand out even more (not that you'll need to with a sidewalk cabio).
I like the PW dash too, but (again, according to the dealer) the sidewalk only comes in an Anthracite dash. I still need to test drive the chrono to make sure I like it while driving, but pre-test drive it sure looks a lot nicer IMO. I agree about the stripes. Aftermarket seems the way to go. The only thing that bugs me is if I go Sport package, I hate not taking the freebee.

So get this. In my spare time I have been on NAM a lot just checking out threads new and old. I got into one in Nav/Audio regarding the head unit and H/K upgrade, and next thing I know I am now looking at going DPSM (or DSP?). It's about $1400 more than the H/K upgrade, but supposedly sounds totally sweet. Not a done deal yet since I'm now about $5K over budget. I am probably going to have to start cutting things to afford it, but right now it's pretty high on the list. Anyone out there have a DPSM in a vert? The one thing remaining unconfirmed right now is if it is loud enough to drown out all road noise top up or down.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:13 PM
kreative
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniDaMoocher
I'm right there with you. Tough call between the PW and SS. Like them both, and will probably go PW only because it's $500 cheaper. I spoke with my dealer (is that an MA?, forgive me but I'm still a newbie) about ordering an 08 several times and he told me he has no info on the 08's and probably won't until December. Where did you hear that you can order a cabrio now? Maybe I should call another dealer and see what they say.

I like the PW dash too, but (again, according to the dealer) the sidewalk only comes in an Anthracite dash. I still need to test drive the chrono to make sure I like it while driving, but pre-test drive it sure looks a lot nicer IMO. I agree about the stripes. Aftermarket seems the way to go. The only thing that bugs me is if I go Sport package, I hate not taking the freebee.

So get this. In my spare time I have been on NAM a lot just checking out threads new and old. I got into one in Nav/Audio regarding the head unit and H/K upgrade, and next thing I know I am now looking at going DPSM (or DSP?). It's about $1400 more than the H/K upgrade, but supposedly sounds totally sweet. Not a done deal yet since I'm now about $5K over budget. I am probably going to have to start cutting things to afford it, but right now it's pretty high on the list. Anyone out there have a DPSM in a vert? The one thing remaining unconfirmed right now is if it is loud enough to drown out all road noise top up or down.
I read that the '08 verts will be available in an article. Here's the clip:
"2008 Convertibles are already rolling out the back door of the factory, and will begin to arrive at your dealership this month. "

The whole article can be read here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/09/...ber/#more-6093

As far as spending free time reading through the NAM forums...addiciting isn't it? I do quite a bit of it myself =D. I mean, I don't own or haven't even ordered a vert, yet I'm still browsing through this forum. All started when I saw a PW Sidewalk @ the dealer.

I don't have any personal experience w/ the DPSM, but I remember reading a thread where someone liked it so much that they retrofitted it into their Mini (got it before it came out, so couldn't spec it..at least that's what I remember). The process looked pretty cumbersome, having to remove most of the interior...so must have been worth it ;-) I love music, and listen to a majority of it in the car, but I figure I can just get some aftermarket speakers if I want (too bad I won't be able to change the head unit on the r56 since it's integrated into the speedo), or else I'll just be too busy motoring =D.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:08 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniDaMoocher
I like the PW dash too, but (again, according to the dealer) the sidewalk only comes in an Anthracite dash.
That seems pretty silly if thats the case, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I agree about the stripes. Aftermarket seems the way to go. The only thing that bugs me is if I go Sport package, I hate not taking the freebee.
Very true. Luckily the stripes are easy to remove if you ever want to get a different set put on.

The one thing remaining unconfirmed right now is if it is loud enough to drown out all road noise top up or down.
Well, considering the stock sound system is enough to drown out 90% of the road noise (leaving a few % for when a huge semi passes you on the interstate), I'd say thats a definite yes. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've never even turned the sound up all the way on mine.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:35 PM
bobhume
1st Gear
Here are some pics of my Astro Black MCC Sidewalk

It's a little dirty, as we just drove halfway across the country in it..

Quick Reply: R52 What do you think about MINI X?