R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cancelled my order .... but having second thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 07:50 PM
BadApple
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I cancelled my order last week. With all the problems I’ve heard like windshield cracks, stumble & cold starts along with the JD Power report made me indifferent about my choice of car that I had called the dealer and cancelled my order.

But here I am, feeling that I have pulled the plug on a best friend. I still look at the status of my order, seeing that it’s on it s way on the boat and wishing that I didn’t cancel it. This is my first new car, so of course I’m nervous of all my choices. I’m not made of money so I don’t want something that will bleed me dry. But, I figured since it’s under warranty, if I don’t feel safe with it I’ll just sell it.

The real question I guess is, how do all of you feel about your purchase and do you think you’ll keep the car past 4 years? Cause now I wonder if I should call my dealer and tell him I still want the car, hoping he doesn’t think I’m crazy or unreliable.

Old 05-14-2003, 07:53 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
I'm sorry, but your dumb. The MCS is by far the best car I have ever had, and I had a corvette before I got it. It is just so much fun to drive, and I just love the car altogether, most of the problems have been worked out in the newer MINI's. I got the 8th "S" in my state, and only had the cold start problem, and a coolant problem, which were both fixed in less then an hour.

Old 05-14-2003, 07:56 PM
X2Board
5th Gear
Look at it this way, your car is a later build and better quality, I have a mid year built 2002 S and I've only had a couple minor problems. I would buy another MINI in a minute.

X2

Old 05-14-2003, 08:00 PM
BadApple
2nd Gear
Thanks SuperMINI0, 3 Any intelligent replys?

Old 05-14-2003, 08:01 PM
travelkids
3rd Gear
You should be having second thoughts. This is the most fun car to drive I have ever had, beats out Volvo XC, Porsche, Honda, VW. A few kinks that need to be worked out?! That is expected. You will second guess yourself till you buy one, you know you will and you should! Get down to that dealer Asap.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:03 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
I don't know if you saw the other thread, but there was one saying that a european magazine rated the top 100 cars in the world, and the MCS was #2, just being beat by a $100,000+ Porsche 911 Turbo. The MC was like # 24 or something like that.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:05 PM
X2Board
5th Gear
>>I'm sorry, but your dumb.

SuperMINI03: That was not called for, he/she cancelled because of a legitimate concern, a car is a big expense for some people, even if I had Bill Gate's money, I won't buy a car that was prone to problems (not that the MINI is)

X2

Old 05-14-2003, 08:09 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
Ok, I'm sorry, my comment was mean, and I shouldn't have said it, please forgive me, I don't want to be mean, but it was your choice, and thats ok

Old 05-14-2003, 08:11 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with X2 - after 24k on my Cooper I can tell you that buying this car was the best auto related decision I've ever made. Sure there have been a couple minor issues but frankly if I wanted an appliance of a car I would have bought a Honda. No I wanted something that made me excited to get up in the morning and drive my 30 minutes to work. The MINI does this better than any car I've ever owned (that includes several BMWs).

Old 05-14-2003, 08:18 PM
JoeS475
4th Gear
I too was having some thoughts after what I had heard, but I bit the bullet and went for it in November... and I've not regretted it once. It is just pure fun and smiles. And if you are one of the few unlucky ones who gets a "Friday car," I'm sure your states Lemon Laws would take care of it.

But when you think about it every single car company makes some individual cars which are lemons.
MINI is remarkably reliable for a brand new car, and car company.

Go for it!!!! Then at least you'll know you won't be kicking yourself later!!!

~Joe

Old 05-14-2003, 08:21 PM
dandp
6th Gear
I'm not seeing tons of MINI's on the side of the road...more like first year growing pains with certain build quality issues. I take what I read in magazines and on the net with a grain of salt when looking to buy something - a camera, home theater stuff, whatever. Someone is always going to try and rain on the parade. If there are massive recalls, that's one thing. But there are alot of very happy MINI owners out there, myself being one. Yeah, it has had some weird little issues that I find annoying. But the handling and looks of the car win me over in the end. To be fair, I have met 3 other MINI owners in the NY/NJ area that have had problems beyond the norm - all 02 builds, 2 MCS and 1 MC. In 2 of the 3 cases, the dealerships really dropped the ball on customer satisfaction.

I expect that I will keep this car to the end of the loan, at least. I can be rather impulsive though. It's real fun to drive, and even as they proliferate around here, it still turns heads (if you're into that sort of thing) I'm still kind of surprised by the interest it generates.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:21 PM
BadApple
2nd Gear
To Gabe:
That's exactly what I'm thinking. In the end, if you like the car, that 's all that matters. I own a Camaro now, I love the power, but it has eaten a hole in my pocket. So I would like to avoid that. But laying 20, 000 dollars for me is a lot of money. So when I sit in car, I want to feel like I'm sitting in my moneys worth.

I just really like this car, but I am worried of the problems that I’ve heard of. Yes, I’m man enough to admit when I am afraid.

That’s why I’m asking what all of you owners think of your decision in the end. I'm tired of reading reviews. I want to hear what you think, the ones that matter.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:23 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
Once again, it is the best car I have ever owned, I would put in a new order, that will be the one you wont regret.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:28 PM
Mini_Street_Racer
4th Gear
what you also have to consider, is that not everyone who gets a mini has problems. I got my mini January and I havn't had a problem with it. I think its the best purchase, (not just cars) I have ever made.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:30 PM
dandp
6th Gear
I look forward to driving to work - because of the car.
I look forward to my drive home - because of the car.
I hop in the car at dusk and open the sunroof and windows - regardless of temperature, so I can hear the engine and the wind

No car I have owned has made me drive aimlessly on back roads or highways - except this one.
Even the strange patterned sunburn I get on my arm from the sunshade amuses me.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:32 PM
BadApple
2nd Gear
That's how I'm feeling. I'm in college right now, so buying a used Toyota or Honda would be the move for most but I'd much rather buy a new MINI. It has all that I want. Just the problems some have had have deterred me.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:50 PM
stovepipejones
4th Gear
Enjoy your Civic.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:54 PM
BadApple
2nd Gear
Yuck, I wouldn't buy a Civic. I have more style than that.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:56 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
>>Yuck, I wouldn't buy a Civic. I have more style than that.

Good choice!

Old 05-14-2003, 08:57 PM
C4
Banned
In life and everything else is all about taking risks and sometimes putting yourself in the line of fire.....

What if you hadn't asked that girl out on a date?

What if you hadn't decided to have enough self confidence to go to college?

What if you hadn't turned down that excellent job offer?

What if you hadn't cancelled that order for a new MINI?

Think about it.....

Men and women that have succedeed in life and enjoy living it to its fullest have taken risks here and there to get where they are now. If you want to play safe all the time in life (Even right down to your choice of car) you will be guaranteed to live a boring life with the ever pounding question..."WHAT IF???"

Go for it my friend....by the sound of oyur posts you are really into the MINI and not getting it in the end will be cause for major regrets. Life is too good to spend it behind the wheel of a perfectible reliable (Well that is not so much the case anymore, really) but boring to no end Honda or Toyota or break away from the pack completely and have a good time in a MINI.

7,000+ trouble free miles in 9+ months and have ZERO regrets. Like the MINI so much that currently have a second one on order, a '04 MCS.

Take it from me an ex-Honda/Acura fan of 12 years!japanese cars are too damn boring for me to care about them anymore

Old 05-14-2003, 08:59 PM
minibill
3rd Gear
What model Mini did yu cancel?
I like mine enough to get a new Mini every year.

Old 05-14-2003, 09:03 PM
cuny
3rd Gear
i know some of the people hear at this site have heard me before but all i can say is i have a ferrari, austin healey 100, miata, vw convert 61 and too many other cars to mention. but if im going out the door the mini keys are the ones i grab. fun fun fun and more fun. i like the s cause i think it has enough go and it sounds nice. so i think you made a big mistake thinking any car is perfect and remember it can be fixed by a factory rep for nothing. by the way i had mine fixed today for a recalled item and they filled the tank and had it back to me in one hour and treated me to a new key chain. have another bmw and i dont get that type of treatment. hope you change your mind i will wave at you someday or flash my lights im having so much fun.

Old 05-14-2003, 09:07 PM
BadApple
2nd Gear
I think I have. It just helps to hear from others, you know. And though I don't know you, I'd love to join in those MINI cruise tours I've seen & heard so much about. It's like a family, watching out for one another.

Old 05-14-2003, 09:12 PM
BadApple
2nd Gear
Hopefully, My dealer doesn't think I'm crazy or unreliable.

Old 05-14-2003, 09:22 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
BadApple-
Why don't you tell us that exactly was the order you cancelled so we can see what you are sacrifycing?

I have a MCS with 2800 miles on it. No real problems, just the rear suspension bolt recall and the leak in the coolant container. The bolt was fixed up in the first 5 days of the recall and my leaky container will be fixed on 5/23 at the dealer. Besides that I have no trouble and only FUN. It is a great car. And I have only just begun to discover what it can do. I had it out on the track one day and plan to take it out as much as I can each year. I tend to keep my cars for about 10-12 years and I hope to keep my MCS for alot longer - it is that good.

This friday I add H-sport springs and adjustable rear control arms. Soon I get the quicksilver exhaust to add to my madness intake and rear swaybar.
More FUN FUN FUN in the corners- it's just fantastic. I gotta go to driving school so I can be better- more skill not a bad thing to have.

When I was looking I'd meet other people in the dealership telling me about their other cars. Once there was a man who sold his Porshe Boxster and said the MCS was much better and way more fun to drive than his Boxster. The list goes on and on.

As for problems- almost all of the known problems have surfaced. If you take precautions you can order some things or not that will put problems out of reach or a likely event. If you read about sunroof problems and don't want them then don't order the sunroof. The windshield problem is real and I have no trouble with mine but I don't live in denver and I stay away from big trucks.

If you have limited funds. Even a stock bare bones MCS is a blast to drive. Upgrade nothing and it is still really good. So tell us what you would have ordered.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Cancelled my order .... but having second thoughts.