R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Has anyone thought of this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:46 AM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone thought of this?

There's been a lot of discussion about the factory cup holder's look and utility. Let's just say that BMW and now MINI seem to have some issues when it comes to desgning cup holders. The cup holders in my 1997 BMW 318 Ti weren't much more useful than the rubber-covered one in my MINI but at least they weren't as physically or visually obtrusive.

Has anyone thought of this? What about adapting a truly useful and cool looking holder of some kind into the factory MINI bracket? It wouldn't have to be a cup holder, perhaps something to hold a cell phone or a PDA?

It would get rid of the rubber-covered monstrosity and would add something that may actually look cool and work. I know that MINI owners are creative souls so I wanted to check and see if any of you have thought about this or created anything in line with this?

If not, perhaps one or more of you vendors have some ideas?

Old 02-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Rowan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember seeing someone on mp3car who had modified the metal bits of the cupholder to mount the LCD for the Carputer. Very cool I thought.

I just took mine off as soon as I got the MINI home.

Check the 5th post here

Last edited by Rowan; 02-28-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added link to mp3car project
Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
The bracket doesn't bother me much and if it actually kept my cell phone in reach I'd be willing to work with it.

If not, I will have to renew my efforts at removing mine which would appear to be glued down with some never before seen, extraterrestial double sided tape. It will not come off!

Old 02-28-2007, 02:01 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ravana
...I just took mine off as soon as I got the MINI home.
I didn't bother with waiting until I got home. Had the dealership yank it. Some folks do like these, though, as I had no problem selling it on NAM for $20.

There are threads on creative uses for the bracket, such as IPOD mounts, etc.

I think Americans should get over cupholders, already, and think about driving their cars with both hands.

I drove for 20 years before OEM cup holders existed. Never once died from thirst, nor did I dream of having a 32oz gulp next to me.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:58 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
I would like to keep the bracket, and be able to remove the holder when not needed, slide it on when I want it....

Old 02-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Macbest
2nd Gear
I thought the ugly bracket/cup holder assembly on the center console near the a/c controls was dealer installed (or after market installed). The way this thread is reading, it sounds like it comes standard now? I certainly don't want it on my new one coming in. Is this something that we have to insist they don't install?

Old 02-28-2007, 03:18 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
i have one

i have a cupholder for sale if anyone needs it

Old 02-28-2007, 06:40 PM
minjae
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MY2ndMINI
i have a cupholder for sale if anyone needs it
lol everyone is sayin how it's uselesss and you say you have one for sale. quite funny.
but i personally think it can come in handy sometimes. like a holding a big cup from mcdonald's. seeing that they dont fit in the small ones at the bottom.
wow...i just noticed...we have 6 places to hold drinks...
do they want us to have a tea party in there or something?

i use it to hold my ipod.. hehe

Old 02-28-2007, 07:32 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Im glad my car never came with one, they look terrible. True enthusists would never dream of eating or drinking in their car. As such, I have never once eaten or drank in my car, I am to busy motoring; both hands on the wheel, save my fast shifting.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:37 PM
rilmsty
Neutral
Hello there! I just placed an order for an 07 mini cooper s! I'm way excited and can't wait for it to get in. Its expected to take 7-8 weeks far too long.

Red with black hood and black bonnet stripes

Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine spend most its life in the garage I'll put it back in for a road trip or meet though so it call holda radio or two.

It's been modded like just about everything else on the MINI

Old 02-28-2007, 08:45 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
When I test drove a MINI and saw that thing I thought, "That thing looks like crap. I would never have one in mine." Then, when my MINI came in it had one installed. Not sure why, but I decided to give it a try, and now I love my cup holder. I think it's very handy...it holds all sized cups. I couldn't survive without it...plus, it's easy to clean. I need something for my passenger's drink now. Those little tiny cup holders are pretty useless as far as I'm concerned. This has to be my favorite cup holder though. I have no idea what it's called or where I can find one, but I like it.

http://gandini.unm.edu/PGpages/Interests/Whalen.htm

Old 02-28-2007, 09:53 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
That cup holder in that picture you posted would get in the way of my leg i think.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those of you who are considering the R56 will be glad to know there are two real cupholders up front--tall enough to carry water bottles with no interference!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
The ability to carry bottles of water, especially on longer road-trips, is the biggest reason my cup-holder is still on, I removed it once, had it in the back seat, and at 2AM on a trip to Florida found that my flat tire warning was on because a bottle of water that didn't fit the other cup-holders was pushing on the reset button between the seats. After being off for maybe 8 hours I put the monstrosity right back on in a gas station parking lot. Maybe I'll get the courage up to remove it again someday.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:42 AM
CooperGear
Banned
Cup holder... Try driving the Autobahn while sipping your starbucks in the left lane. This is why the MINI has crap cup holders. It is because you don't multi-task while driving the autobahn! If you are thirsty you stop and get a drink.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:04 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I drive on the autobahn precisely - zero.

And when I'm driving "enthusiastically" I absolutely use both hands.

But when I'm forced by the US speed nannies to drive 70ish on a road that in Europe would have no speed limit, I think that - and 30 years of driving experience - leaves me enough margin of error to sip my Triple Venti Sugar Free Mocha Breve' occasionally - or even eat a breakfast burrito.

I have two MiniFini cupholders and love'm.

They actually get more use HAULING gigantic iced tea cups from my drive-thru du jour back to my office when I typically eat at my desk...

But frequent multi-hundred-mile business drives, two jobs, and a family sometimes force me to find ways to use my time most efficiently. And - gasp - I've found that I can drive and eat at the same time... hasn't caused an accident in 30 years...

Oh yeah - having an AUTOMAGIC TRANSMISSION helps too.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Doesn't bother me. I spend my driving time DRIVING, and not worrying about how a cup holder looks. Yeeesh.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blockh102
Cup holder... Try driving the Autobahn while sipping your starbucks in the left lane. This is why the MINI has crap cup holders. It is because you don't multi-task while driving the autobahn! If you are thirsty you stop and get a drink.
I think the smaller portion sizes sold in Europe, and this includes drinks, is why the cupholders in so many European car's have relatively crappy cupholders. Order a regular soda from a German McDonalds and you'll wonder why they're giving you the child-size beverage. Come to think about it, while in Germany I never had a problem with drinks fitting in the cupholders of a MINI.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 AM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Doesn't bother me. I spend my driving time DRIVING, and not worrying about how a cup holder looks. Yeeesh.
Yeeesh, indeed.

My problem is not primarily with how it looks but rather the facts that:

1) It's not very functional.

2) I'd rather have something in that location to hold my cell and/or PDA.

3) Cup holders don't belong near the dash and stereo.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:02 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Try driving the Autobahn while sipping your starbucks in the left lane. This is why the MINI has crap cup holders. It is because you don't multi-task while driving the autobahn!
hmm.....really? Germans don't drink anything while traveling?
They must have thought I was crazy all 3 years I drove on the autobahn on a daily basis (part of my commute) with liquids in the car.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ToroPerro
Yeeesh, indeed.

My problem is not primarily with how it looks but rather the facts that:

1) It's not very functional.

2) I'd rather have something in that location to hold my cell and/or PDA.

3) Cup holders don't belong near the dash and stereo.
1. Personally, we find ours very useful and functional.

2. I never use my cell phone while driving. Someone calls they'll just have to leave a voice message and wait for me to call them back when it's safer to do so.

3. Haven't spilled anything yet while spritedly driving some of the twistiest roads in CA.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Pendergast
6th Gear
I have to laugh all these true driving aficionados who wretch at the mere thought of taking a sip while driving. Yeah, you're all right on the edge at all times.

If I'm on the Dragon or anything remotely similar you can bet I won't be taking a drink while driving, but the rest of the time - interstates, morning commute etc. I find I'm more than nimble enough to reach over to the fine cupholder, without taking my eyes off the road, and take a sip. And heck, a little coffee now and then might actually keep me awake enough to react quickly when necessary. I can do this without disconnected my driving brain, whereas using a cell phone etc. would be a different story.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:27 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Pendergast, aren't you worried about the extra weight from your coffee? That's 16oz which may affect off-the-line performance.\

Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
Pendergast, aren't you worried about the extra weight from your coffee? That's 16oz which may affect off-the-line performance.\

I was worried about it so I got a custom light weight mug and removed every other rubber ear on the drink holder. That didn't take off enough weight so I threw away the tow hook too. Realizing, the cup holder as opposed to the tow hook means a higher center of gravity, I let a half pound of air out of the tires to compensate.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Has anyone thought of this?