R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Has anyone thought of this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:36 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alert! Clarification Necessary...

Earlier in the thread I made fun of the cup holder and mentioned that in the first twenty years of my driving experience, OEM cupholders hadn't yet been invented... and I never died from thirst.

Truth is, in spite of removing the big-gulp compatible console cupholder, I use my "rear" cupholder every day. I was merely being a smarta$$ and poking fun at Americans who seem to need 32oz. drinks while driving.

Maybe I should create an off topic thread asking why folks need 32+ oz. drinks while driving.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
I was worried about it so I got a custom light weight mug and removed every other rubber ear on the drink holder.
Some good ideas, but I've found i can achieve the same result by not wearing a shirt.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:55 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
I use the cupholder for holding the cellphone, Ipod, keyrings, wallet, and other miscellaneous junk that happens to find its way into my hands while driving. That is when it's not holding a cup of coffee. The only thing I don't like is how it swings around and turns the fan on high. Those other things that they call cupholders are useless.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:59 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
The cup holders in the center stack may be mostly useless, but that only means that I'm pleasantly surprised when I find things that do fit. So far, 12oz cans, McDonald's small coffees, and the regular size Frappuccinos fit very nicely.

Sure, I'm not drinking while driving (except for various stretches of highway), but I do need something to carry a drink if I'm schlepping takeout or what-not.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dimini
Alert! Clarification Necessary...

Earlier in the thread I made fun of the cup holder and mentioned that in the first twenty years of my driving experience, OEM cupholders hadn't yet been invented... and I never died from thirst.

Truth is, in spite of removing the big-gulp compatible console cupholder, I use my "rear" cupholder every day. I was merely being a smarta$$ and poking fun at Americans who seem to need 32oz. drinks while driving.

Maybe I should create an off topic thread asking why folks need 32+ oz. drinks while driving.
I wouldn't know. I don't know anyone who drinks anything that large. I'll sometimes have a 16 ounce bottle of water in my cupholder, and that's too big to fit in the rear holder.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
Some good ideas, but I've found i can achieve the same result by not wearing a shirt.
Uh oh - this is truly dangerous ground. Every reality cop show I've watched ends up with the shirtless guys laying on the ground with an officers foot on their necks.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Let's see, my cup holder holds fast food drink cups, coffee cups, mugs, and keep-it-hot-for-hours-on-end insulated coffee cups, my mp3 player, Snapple bottles (20 oz), water bottles (Dasani, Poland Spring, etc), 12 oz soda cans, my driving gloves in a pinch, and the holder has never inadvertantly folded inward toward the radio unless I have folded it in.

Pretty handy, and I don't think it looks bad or good. It's just there doing its job.

Zip

Old 03-01-2007, 06:10 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gromit801
1. Personally, we find ours very useful and functional.
Is that the imperial we or do you really mean you?

Just wondering.

Your point was that I didn't like how it looked when the truth was that I don't like how it works.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Homme
2nd Gear
The only redeeming feature of the giant Canadarm-inspired cup-holder was the "NO WINEGLASSES" pictograph on it. Once my MA and I had that little chuckle, I asked them to remove it. Useful or not, it's profoundly ugly - and my beautiful MINI has no room for ugly.

Brevior saltare *** deformibus 'cup-holder' est vita!

Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Hyperblue&Co
1st Gear
Agreed that it is big and actually gets in the way of the heater controls but turns out it holds my Blackberry just great, actually keeps it almost in view, better than looking down at the center console..Using bluetooth headset, both hands on the wheel..Mine came with the car, never asked for it.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:04 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Pendergast
Uh oh - this is truly dangerous ground. Every reality cop show I've watched ends up with the shirtless guys laying on the ground with an officers foot on their necks.
I disagree........most are wearing "wife beaters"

Old 03-03-2007, 04:28 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I had the dealership remove mine before i took delivery and i sold it here on NAM. I didnt want it spilling on my radio or controls while driving cause that happened to my dad and his MINI, and now the buttons are all sticky.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:10 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minjae
lol everyone is sayin how it's uselesss and you say you have one for sale. quite funny.
but i personally think it can come in handy sometimes. like a holding a big cup from mcdonald's. seeing that they dont fit in the small ones at the bottom.
wow...i just noticed...we have 6 places to hold drinks...
do they want us to have a tea party in there or something?

i use it to hold my ipod.. hehe

I HAVE ONE IN MY CAR NOW THAT I USE EVERYDAY BUT I HAD AN EXTRA ONE....

Old 03-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Red
6th Gear
I never gave much thought to cupholders, especially in a "driver's" car. I gave the "attached" cupholder in my 06 to my MA. I do find the rear one is easy to reach and handy for water bottles however.

Anyone else use this one?

regards,
Red

Old 03-04-2007, 04:05 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a big clear blue waterbottle with a tapered bottom that fits perfectly in the rear cupholder - even with the OEM armrest - and the color matches my car - If it ever breaks I'll be sad...

Old 03-05-2007, 03:45 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
post #8 says there are six places to put drinks:

I have the 2 useless cupholder under the toggles, the two pretend cupholder indentations on the glove box door and the one useful rear cupholder for a total of 5 'cup holders'.....am I missing one?

Old 03-05-2007, 04:58 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eager2own
hmm.....really? Germans don't drink anything while traveling?
They must have thought I was crazy all 3 years I drove on the autobahn on a daily basis (part of my commute) with liquids in the car.
Having spent 7 years in Germany, I can personally speak for both groups of drivers you'll find on the German autobahns.

During my first tour, I owned a Nissan 300ZX and I'd have been foolish to drive while enjoying a cup of coffee or bottle of water. I often drove at speeds around 130-140 mph and my senses were on full alert. I spent most of my time in the far left lane, keeping a semi-constant eye on my "6" for those 7-series Bimmers and other autobahn cruisers.

The second time around, I had kids with me and drove a Nissan Sentra. I almost never drove over 80 mph and stuck in the far right or the center lane. Dividing my attention to a drink wouldn't have been a problem.

So, did the Germans think you were crazy to drink while driving the autobahns ? I'd say that depends on how your driving habits over there.