R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MCSa technology discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCSa technology discussion thread

Originally Posted by skitelluride531
Almost as good as a stick shift, but not quite...haha
Umm... not even close. The computer still makes too many decisions for you (in manual mode), and the delay time in shifting gears is still annoying. Just IMO, and yes I have actually driven an MCSa.

It isn't really MANUAL mode... it's SEMI-MANUAL mode.

Yes, it's still a MINI, and I respect it for that. I'm not trying to judge people by their choices... I'm just clearly stating why I did not (and would not) compromise my own choice on it!

I'm very happy for hyperbluerider's new exciting ride... good color choice!

NOTE: This posts and the ones below started in this thread but were split off to here.

Last edited by Edge; 11-16-2006 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Clarification of thread split
Old 11-16-2006, 04:23 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Edge
Umm... not even close. The computer still makes too many decisions for you (in manual mode), and the delay time in shifting gears is still annoying. Just IMO, and yes I have actually driven an MCSa.

It isn't really MANUAL mode... it's SEMI-MANUAL mode.

Yes, it's still a MINI, and I respect it for that. I'm not trying to judge people by their choices... I'm just clearly stating why I did not (and would not) compromise my own choice on it!

I'm very happy for hyperbluerider's new exciting ride... good color choice!

grin:
Thanks That's exactly why I said "It's almost a manual" because I knew it would urge someone to chime in. I'll stick with it anyway just to make someone else angry. It's almost a manual, but not quite. After all, semi-manual, is almost full manual, correct?

...but anyways enjoy the new ride Hyperbluerider . The paddles are tons of fun...it's what I use about 99.999% of the time in my MCSa.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:33 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
grin:After all, semi-manual, is almost full manual, correct?
NO!

Both of my parents cars have this "semi-manual" sport-tronic tranny thing you speak of ...I find it annoying. I'd rather just drive a normal automatic if I MUST.

Real manuals rule, lol. I do understand why someone would opt for the MCSa though, so reguardless, congrats! love the color.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:13 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DustinDallas
NO!

Both of my parents cars have this "semi-manual" sport-tronic tranny thing you speak of ...I find it annoying. I'd rather just drive a normal automatic if I MUST.

Real manuals rule, lol. I do understand why someone would opt for the MCSa though, so reguardless, congrats! love the color.

I know, I know...I am just giving all you manual folks a hard time. I will admit - I do wish I would have gotten a manual tranny, but I still love my MINI.

But anyways...I have taken this thread way off topic...:impatient

Old 11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
I know, I know...I am just giving all you manual folks a hard time. I will admit - I do wish I would have gotten a manual tranny, but I still love my MINI.

But anyways...I have taken this thread way off topic...:impatient
Ah, just realized your the kid from Texas with the black mini + multiple sweet cars your parents own.

That makes you cool in my book, even though you ordered an auto...

College-age Texan MINI owners are the best, no exceptions.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I will buy an automatic one day... when it's a DSG-style design (i.e. two clutches), with NO lag, and a computer that will only override your shift decision when it would cause the engine to go beyond the redline. That's it. Otherwise, let the driver decide, ALWAYS, while in manual mode. No other exceptions.

THEN I will buy an automatic, and I will enjoy it immensely.

They are available today... but not in a car I want to own.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:24 PM
eVal
6th Gear
- post deleted -

Last edited by eVal; 11-16-2006 at 10:31 PM. Reason: comment no longer applicable (thread split)
Old 11-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by eVal
And this is relevant how?
Because people are expressing our opinions on the MCSa. I was simply highlighting the hopes for the future of automatic transmissions. We're talking about automatics, so it is relevant.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:33 PM
eVal
6th Gear
-post deleted-

Last edited by eVal; 11-16-2006 at 10:32 PM. Reason: comment no longer applicable (thread split)
Old 11-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Sorry, I thought it was a thread to help the guy taking delivery and asking a question not another thread on tranny opinions
Sometimes a thread expands its range of topic. We're not heavily moderating every thread to ensure it is 100% and exclusively only on the original poster's point. Freedom of expression, provided it is not rude or insulting, is absolutely permitted.

The MCSa has its place, but it is far from ideal. The ideal exists today, with the new technologies available, pioneered in large part by VW. Unfortunately, the MINI doesn't have it yet!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:51 PM
eVal
6th Gear
- post deleted -

Last edited by eVal; 11-16-2006 at 10:32 PM. Reason: comment no longer applicable (thread split)
Old 11-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I know how forums and threads are, it just struck me that getting into people's unrequested negative opinions on aspects of a car someone stated they are getting tomorrow is at best insensitive and thoughtless and at worst disrepectful or hostile. I didn't mean to be rude but I just put myself in his shoes and didn't think it was very nice or really on topic considering.
skitelluride531 opened up the topic with his comment. Was he baiting? Probably... Should I have ignored it? Also, probably... but my opinions were always respectful and never mean.

You need to read again what I wrote, especially my first post. You are way way out of whack with my intentions here, and I don't appreciate you branding me incorrectly.

I have personal friends who own MCSas, and I don't judge them for their choices. That doesn't mean I have to refrain from expressing honest opinions of the design flaws of the implementation. You are perfectly free to criticize the design, cost or otherwise of any part of my MINI that you deem to not be up to your standards. They were my choices and I made them.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:17 PM
eVal
6th Gear
- post deleted -

Last edited by eVal; 11-16-2006 at 10:33 PM. Reason: comment no longer applicable (thread split)
Old 11-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I'm not "branding" you, I was responding to the subsequent post (not your first) and whatever your intentions were the remarks struck me as I said, that is just the way it is, and honestly I'm surprised you can't see the other point of view. As I said, I did not mean to be rude, but that is how it struck my and is my opinion.

Sorry hyperbluerider, I hope my first post helped some.
Fine. In the interests of maintaining peace, I have moved all posts "unrelated" to hyperbluerider's intent into a new thread.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:58 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i thought the previous thread was doing fine.... why make another one?

Old 11-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by kenchan
i thought the previous thread was doing fine.... why make another one?
Because some people don't like discussing a MINI technology in a negative light when the thread wasn't started that way.

I didn't intend to have the thread go the way it did, but once it did, this seemed the most peaceful resolution. Now the original thread contains nothing but "positive feedback", so it remains happy.

Mind you if the topic was JCW, the MINI Bluetooth solutions, factory Nav or some other "controversial" option, I suspect the same defensiveness would not have happened.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:04 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Well...I was semi joking with my original comment. The whole manual v. automatic is just a fun can of worms to open up every once in a while on these forums...

My real opinion is that for daily driving/sprited driving the MCSa manual shifting technology or whatever you want to call it, is perfectly fine. Sure, it does not shift quite as fast, and yes it will automatically shift up for you at 6800RPM, but the convenience of being able to just pop the gear shift over when in heavy traffic is pretty nice, I would think everyone would agree with me there. I doubt anyone out there thoroughly enjoys driving a stick shift in bumper to bumper traffic. Whether or not this small convenience is worth getting the auto over the manual, is obviously up to you to decide. For me, if I were doing it all over again (the order process that is) I would without question order a stick shift. But that's not to say I do not enjoy the MINI I have now. I still have just as much fun in my MINI as everyone else does.

As for the MCSa technology on the track, I think it is defintely lacking here. I took my MINI to a track event this past weekend for the first time, and found when trying to quickly shift down from 3rd to 2nd in the higher rev ranges, I would have to continuously press the paddles before the computer would allow me to shift down. Overall, not too big of a deal since I am obviously not racing in the MINI, but this certainly is one of the minor issues I experienced personally on the track in the MINI. The track event was still tons of fun though. I'd highly recommend something similar to those who have not tried it out yet.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:08 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Because some people don't like discussing a MINI technology in a negative light when the thread wasn't started that way.

I didn't intend to have the thread go the way it did, but once it did, this seemed the most peaceful resolution. Now the original thread contains nothing but "positive feedback", so it remains happy.

Mind you if the topic was JCW, the MINI Bluetooth solutions, factory Nav or some other "controversial" option, I suspect the same defensiveness would not have happened.

a little smack is good, imho. no smack is too conservative...
i want to review TORNADO.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:11 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
As for the MCSa technology on the track, I think it is defintely lacking here. I took my MINI to a track event this past weekend for the first time, and found when trying to quickly shift down from 3rd to 2nd in the higher rev ranges, I would have to continuously press the paddles before the computer would allow me to shift down. Overall, not too big of a deal since I am obviously not racing in the MINI, but this certainly is one of the minor issues I experienced personally on the track in the MINI. The track event was still tons of fun though. I'd highly recommend something similar to those who have not tried it out yet.
you have to mash the gas inorder to overcome the shift map's
shortcomings while approaching your turn, just like on a MT car.
it will down shift cause it will think you need more acceleration,
then you hold it in 2nd... you can hold the gear right?

AT's are actually pretty tricky if you want to drive it like you
mean it... especially throttle input as there's that flywheel/torque
converter slack.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:21 PM
eVal
6th Gear

Mind you if the topic was JCW, the MINI Bluetooth solutions, factory Nav or some other "controversial" option, I suspect the same dissenters would not have been so vocal.

Edge, c'mon, you know you are taking my remarks out of context - it is not just about a thread being started that way or the "controversial" subject, it was the entire context. If the first poster said they were picking up a JCW, car with Nav, or a manual 6 speed, or anything and someone chimed in with why that choice was not up to their personal standards my impression would have been the same: that it is not relevant, particularly kind or respectful, etc (I already posted the words so I'm not going to recap it all). Just think, if someone said, I'm picking up my Cooper tomorrow how should I ------' and then someone went on with how they would not get a Cooper now for whatever reasons, how that would look. You could substitute anything and in the end its the same,

Anyway, I just called it as it struck me in context, perhaps I am too empathetic - but if you are going to change the foundation of the threads my remarks are not in context and uneccessary, so I'll remove them.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:25 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
omg...people, go get a beer

Old 11-16-2006, 08:38 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
im gonna get me some coffee.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
im gonna get me some coffee.
this late? good luck sleeping

Old 11-16-2006, 08:43 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DustinDallas
this late? good luck sleeping

i work 24/7, remember?

actually, i am working with Asia right now... lol

Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Edge, c'mon, you know you are taking my remarks out of context - it is not just about a thread being started that way or the "controversial" subject, it was the entire context.
Out of context? In my very first post, after saying my bit on the MCSa, I still made it very clear that an MCSa is still a MINI, that I still respect it for that, and that people are entitled to their own choices. I even complimented the OP on his choice of color... while unrelated, it was a friendly gesture that conveyed my point. No judgement on him/her. You however, went on to say things like:
at best insensitive and thoughtless and at worst disrepectful or hostile
... which basically labelled me as such. I am not insensitive, thoughless, disrespectful or hostile. I used the word "branding" to describe what you said, which has the same meaning as "labelling" in this context.
If the first poster said they were picking up a JCW, car with Nav, or a manual 6 speed, or anything and someone chimed in with why that choice was not up to their personal standards my impression would have been the same: that it is not relevant, particularly kind or respectful, etc (I already posted the words so I'm not going to recap it all).
That's all fine... but I happen to think that if you were in agreement with the opinion expressed, you would not have been so quick to speak up. Is that a well-qualified statement? No. Just a hunch, and I admit it. Since that's my hunch, I saw your posts as being defensive.
Just think, if someone said, I'm picking up my Cooper tomorrow how should I ------' and then someone went on with how they would not get a Cooper now for whatever reasons, how that would look. You could substitute anything and in the end its the same,
That is largely why I looked at the posts to that point and decided to "make peace" by separating them. Surely now the original post is more in line with the way you think it should have gone, right?
Anyway, I just called it as it struck me in context, perhaps I am too empathetic - but if you are going to change the foundation of the threads my remarks are not in context and uneccessary, so I'll remove them.
I didn't change any foundations - no posts were edited except the note at the end of my first one. Both threads have links to each other, so if someone really cares to take the time, they can catch up to the full context.

The original thread is now very clean and fully on-topic. That's all I was trying to do, after our discussion. Deleting posts was not an option I was willing to entertain - this way nobody's words have been changed.

I'm trying to move on here!

Quick Reply: R50/53 MCSa technology discussion thread