R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 how to lock car w/o activating alarm: if alarm malfunctions:

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 08:55 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey folks,

just thought I would share this tip:

I have the dealer installed MINI alarm on my 03 MCS.

Recently, I have had problems with one of the door closing sensors, at least that's what I believe it is.

Symptoms: after car wash, alarm would go off all the time, sometimes short time after setting alarm, other times later on. When investigating problem I also noticed that the passenger side door window was out of synch and would not lower a bit when opening, and raise when closed. This (without the alarm problems) has actually happened several times and always after a car wash! Now, when investigating some more I also noticed that the passenger door window was doing the sewing-machine trick at times: rapidly bouncing up and down by the 1 cm or so related to opening.

No big deal, probably a faulty sensor that I will have exhcanged soon.
However, since I am on a road trip with lots of stuff in my car, I was faced with a quandary:

I could not figure out how to lock my car without activating the alarm, which would promptly go off a minute or two later:
can't lock with remote as that will arm alarm.
Can't lock with key from driver side, as that will also arm alarm.
Can't depress the lock **** on drivers door while door is open.

So, I called the friendly folks at ASK MINI. They had to research this but called back soon with the (temporary) solution:

Leave car and close driver door. Open passenger door, reach in, and lock car with toggle switch. Close passenger door - voila - the car is locked and the alarm not armed. Don't forget your key inside!
ASK MINI people were also very helpful and had called the closest MINI dealer, and given me their name and number to call and make an appointment for a fix of the sensor.

Thanks ASK MINI!
:smile:

Old 04-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
thats awesome. is this ask mini thing a nationwide deal or is it local for different areas?

Old 04-09-2003, 09:14 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its National...very nice tip!!!

Old 04-09-2003, 10:21 AM
ejkd
3rd Gear
Thanks for sharing.

Now I am having of second thought of getting an alarm.
Do you regret that you bought it?

:smile:

>>hey folks,
>>
>>just thought I would share this tip:
>>
>>I have the dealer installed MINI alarm on my 03 MCS.
>>
>>Recently, I have had problems with one of the door closing sensors, at least that's what I believe it is.
>>
>>Symptoms: after car wash, alarm would go off all the time, sometimes short time after setting alarm, other times later on. When investigating problem I also noticed that the passenger side door window was out of synch and would not lower a bit when opening, and raise when closed. This (without the alarm problems) has actually happened several times and always after a car wash! Now, when investigating some more I also noticed that the passenger door window was doing the sewing-machine trick at times: rapidly bouncing up and down by the 1 cm or so related to opening.
>>
>>No big deal, probably a faulty sensor that I will have exhcanged soon.
>>However, since I am on a road trip with lots of stuff in my car, I was faced with a quandary:
>>
>>I could not figure out how to lock my car without activating the alarm, which would promptly go off a minute or two later:
>>can't lock with remote as that will arm alarm.
>>Can't lock with key from driver side, as that will also arm alarm.
>>Can't depress the lock **** on drivers door while door is open.
>>
>>So, I called the friendly folks at ASK MINI. They had to research this but called back soon with the (temporary) solution:
>>
>>Leave car and close driver door. Open passenger door, reach in, and lock car with toggle switch. Close passenger door - voila - the car is locked and the alarm not armed. Don't forget your key inside!
>>ASK MINI people were also very helpful and had called the closest MINI dealer, and given me their name and number to call and make an appointment for a fix of the sensor.
>>
>>Thanks ASK MINI!
>> :smile:

Old 04-09-2003, 10:28 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the alarm system...it integrates well (pre-wired) into the car's other electronics. There may be slightly cheaper options, but I wasn't willing to take any chances. Mine works flawlessly. MG-BGT will get this sorted out in no time and all will be well.

Old 04-09-2003, 10:33 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I read the instructions correctly I believe you can lock with alarm deactivated by pushing lock on remote twice consecutivly It's in the 2003 owners manual
RAT

Old 04-09-2003, 11:07 AM
2ndMini
1st Gear
Outstanding! I've been searching for that info. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2003, 04:45 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
>>Outstanding! I've been searching for that info. Thanks!

More thoughts on your replies:

pressing remote locking button twice WILL ARM alarm!!!
What happens though when you press twice is that the interior ultrasound sensor and the tilt sensor are not activated. This is for use e.g. on ferries. However, alarm is still active including the door sensors, so this did not help me. Only way to lock without activating alarm is via the toggle switch, and this trick only works from the passenger door!

Do I still like the alarm?
YES, faulty sensors can appear on all types of alarms and installations.
If there had been no way to lock car without activating alarm this would have been a problem. As it is, there is the toggle switch go-around.
I do like the fact that the alarms is so smoothly integrated into the vehicle.

However, I should point out that the alarm sound is not very loud at all!!!
I can say so now because it was going off all the time with the faulty sensor, but very often I could hardly notice it! I was in a coffee house with the car right outside and barely noticed it. So, some might prefer a louder alarm. I actually also like the fact that it is not too obnoxious.
These days, hardly anybody really pays attention to alarms, so they really don't help that much. Certainly not at night. I think they only help when there may be lots of people around.

ASK MINI phone number: nationwide (US) toll free: 1-866-ASK-MINI

Cheers,
Markus

Old 04-09-2003, 06:13 PM
BMINI
3rd Gear
>>If I read the instructions correctly I believe you can lock with alarm deactivated by pushing lock on remote twice consecutivly It's in the 2003 owners manual
>>RAT

AND...

<<What happens though when you press twice is that the interior ultrasound sensor and the tilt sensor are not activated.

Uh Oh! I better read some instructions because sometimes I forget if I've locked my car, or I'm just paranoid, so I will push "lock" a second time. Little did I know I was de-activating the alarm or certain functions! Thanks for the heads up. I am glad I have the alarm. Eh, now all I need to do is learn how to use it!

Old 04-10-2003, 11:29 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
>>These days, hardly anybody really pays attention to alarms, so they really don't help that much. Certainly not at night. I think they only help when there may be lots of people around.

This is true, so I plan to add this loud siren to the inside of my car and wire it to the stock MINI siren. If someone is going to take my stereo, they're going to go deaf while they're doing it - at least then they will get no enjoyment from their ill-gotten booty.

On that note, anyone know which of the 4 pins on the MINI alarm connector to tap into for this?