R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 So a dark silver S pulls up behind me today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Monk Edsel
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cct1
No offense, but I'd never buy a Mini with CVT. Takes all the fun out of it. I seriously doubt the 0-60 times of a CVT are close to those of the manual, even with the CVT optimized. Besides taking the soul out of the car, The CVT just does weird things--and not just at takeoff. But then again, I've yet to drive a CVT I liked--the Audi wasn't so hot either. Supposedly some of the newer CVTs are better; I just wouldn't included the Mini as one of those. I suspect that's one reason why we won't be seeing it on the new Mini's.

Again, I've driven a base mini both manual CVT, and an S (which I bought), and IMHO the Mini manual is much better than the CVT, so much so that they're really not even close. But then again I've never really understood why you'd buy a driver's car like the mini and want an automatic; it's like ordering a cheeseburger without the cheese.
Well, I for one don't know how to drive a stick, so I still manage to have a lot of fun! One day I'll learn, but in the meantime I'm very happy with the car!

Originally Posted by iriemanhq
5- G.I.C. (girlfriend in car)
I was just on VW's site, watching the commercial where the guy's Fast won't let him take his girlfriend with him in the car. This made me laugh!

Old 07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cct1
You're confusing the supercharger with a turbocharger. The supercharger is there all the time...

The worst thing I drove was a Cooper CVT--as a loaner. Had it for a day, and although if I couldn't have bought an S for some reason, I would still have bought a manual Cooper--they're both great cars, but in different ways--although I prefer the S, the base Cooper with manual transmission is still a blast. The CVT, however, is awful. If the Cooper just came in CVT, I wouldn't even consider it. It's lack of acceleration is almost dangerous. Thanks god they're getting rid of it.
Getting rid of the CVT Cooper? Really? You mean the loaner at that dealership, or new models in the future from MINI USA?

Old 07-24-2006, 04:13 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pancakex
Getting rid of the CVT Cooper? Really? You mean the loaner at that dealership, or new models in the future from MINI USA?
New models in 07.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:23 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
[quote=Monk Edsel]I've driven through once, because of an unexpected detour. It's fun to drive through, but I am not familiar with the park at all, so I am afraid of getting lost!

The park's not that big...you end up in either Oakland or Sq. Hill. Give it a whirl...it's fun.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:21 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Monk Edsel
I live in Regent Square. I was driving down Forbes, at the last light before you pass through Frick Park towards Regent Square. I LOVE driving that stretch. Too bad about the rough patches though. The S was street parked infront of the Starbucks in Squirrel Hill and pulled out behind me after I passed it. It was at least an '05, not that any of this matters!
I live in Irwin, and now that the Homestead Hi-level is under repair, I come straight down 30, through Wilkinburg, and up Forbes the opposite direction every morning.

Steve

Old 07-24-2006, 05:31 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
No racing is involved, I assure you...just a normal, typical, smooth, efficient launch. It is an odd phenomenon that happens with conspicuous frequency. My point is that it may be due driver adjustments to overcoming a slight tendancy in Coopers to bog down at low rpms, at least on my '03 Cooper. Revised gearing in later models may have resolved this.
Stock MC vs. Stock MCS, 5sp vs 6sp, equal drivers, the MC is faster to 30 everytime.

Steve