R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 The (not really) OFFICIAL "Not Enough Money for Mods/Upgrades" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The (not really) OFFICIAL "Not Enough Money for Mods/Upgrades" Support Group

I love to read about all the new mods that have come out, the new technologies that are emerging, and the fun do-dads that aftermarket companies think up.

But lets face it. We all have lives/wives/girlfriends/jobs/bills/rents/mortgages/etc... and we can't always drop every last dime on MINI mods.

So here was my thought:
Why not start a thread where we can discuss success stories of saving for mods, offer advice for those of us that are terrible at saving, stories about why we have no money (along with support and empathy from others), and talk about future mods that we all wish to buy someday.

Behold: The (not really) OFFICIAL "Not Enough Money for Mods/Upgrades" Support Group

(p.s. Moderators: Since this revolves around MINI mods, I figured MINI talk was the best place... but if you think this is more of an Off-Topic type thread, please move it there. Thanks.)

---------------------------------

I'm one of those people that falls on the "struggles to save" side. I'm an impulse buyer and I adore instant gratification. So if anyone has advice on saving and putting away my impulse purchasing... please offer it.

Mods that I'd like someday:
M7 DFIC
Bigger exhaust header
Cylinder head with bigger exhaust ports
Borla Exhaust
Swaybar

A huge reason I don't have those right now are because I found out that it costs a heck of a lot more to mod your girlfriend (now fiancee) then it does to mod a MINI. (though I would never give up modding the girlfriend). Plus a wedding, and a down payment on a house, etc... all those big boy things that need to get worried about. All of which equal up to not being able to spend all your hard earned money on your toy.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:46 PM
GatorMini06
2nd Gear
I am sooooo in this club. When do we get one of those circle club badges? Im serious...

Old 06-01-2006, 01:52 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GatorMini06
I am sooooo in this club. When do we get one of those circle club badges? Im serious...
I suppose we could turn it into a club...

I was thinking more along the lines of a support team/group...
"Hi my name is Ben.. I have a modding problem.. and no money to support it."
(group response) "Hi Ben"

But it'd be fun to have a badge for it! I'll see if I can't come up with one tonight.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Jayde
3rd Gear
I am here too!! Damn the bills, I need more mods!!

Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Turcicus
5th Gear
Throw me into the club/group. I don't even have my MINI yet and I already know that it's gonna be bone-stock for a while. The only "mods" I'll be able to do are of the grille badge and decal kind

Old 06-01-2006, 02:06 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shankrabbit

.... Cylinder head with bigger exhaust ports

A huge reason I don't have those right now are because I found out that it costs a heck of a lot more to mod your girlfriend (now fiancee) then it does to mod a MINI.
I hear ya.

Although I got a bunch of CRAP, I'm not like a lot of the modders who are way beyond me. I can offer you two words of advice (which you asked for)
  1. Take care of your fiance and family first. Everything else is second. After being married for a "few" years, I can say that if your wife is happy ... YOU will be happy. There is nothing more important than that. Saving money for parts will be a lot easier then because she will support you
  2. Do not jump head first into modding without a plan ... what are you goals? Creating something for "tracking/xcross" is far different than for normal daily driving (IMO). READ THIS https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=55669 Adding HP without creating a balance between braking and suspension doesn't result in a balanced car but more importantly ... instead of "instant gratification" save for the real HP boost that will be gained from a new head. All those other pieces come together then. I would say read and learn from those that have gone before you
In the end, remember that no matter how enthusiastic you may be at the moment, there are far more important things than a hunk of metal that will someday end up on a junkyard (or Mexico) AND there WILL come a day when another, sweet new thing catches your eye (by that I mean a different car). When that happens, if you dump a lot of money into this one, beware you are very unlikely to get that money back out.

That is why I say "have a plan" ... when the time comes to move on, will you regret the money spent? Or be happy? Only you can decide that

Best of LUCK!

Old 06-01-2006, 02:07 PM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
misery loves company

I'm feelin' this one. I'm looking for a new job (anyone need a graphic designer? ) and I can't afford any mods that I want
Plus there are a ton of other things (yes, more important things) that need to be saved for.
So until I find my money tree, my rally lights will have to wait.
But misery loves company!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 02:29 PM
curv872
4th Gear
Great topic!
shankrabbit, it looks like you're off to a good start with your MINI mods. Like you, the bigger ticket mods will have to wait. I would love to upgrade to Koni FSD's, header, exhaust, DFIC. On your wish list, it looks like the sway bar is fairly inexpensive, especially if you install it yourself. Takes about 2 hours with a floor jack and a couple of jack stands. The difference in handling is night and day.

Til then, I'll be saving my pennies for some FSD's. :-)

Old 06-01-2006, 02:59 PM
goaljnky
Banned
OK, I will go for the obvious joke:

Q: What is a difference between modding a GF and modding a Mini?
A: After you're done you don't mind if your friends take the Mini for a spin.

Rim shot, please!

Oh, by the way, add me and my SO to the support group. Little Egg, where you at?

Old 06-01-2006, 03:24 PM
little egg
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
OK, I will go for the obvious joke:

Q: What is a difference between modding a GF and modding a Mini?
A: After you're done you don't mind if your friends take the Mini for a spin.

Rim shot, please!

Oh, by the way, add me and my SO to the support group. Little Egg, where you at?
Here I am BIG EGG, yes add us to the group, our expendable budgets cant keep up with our mod list

Old 06-01-2006, 03:26 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but the badge will cost money...

Old 06-01-2006, 03:34 PM
R50 Paul
4th Gear
I NEED to belong to this group!!!!! My first mod was SPRAY PAINTING my stock wheels!!!!!!!!!!!! ($12.00 for the paint!!!!!!!!!)

Old 06-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Count me in, 19, male single. Insurance alone makes modding cost prohibitive; that plus I did one track day and now I'm trying to save up the $$ to go every chance I get but gas money and 30k miles to date (since Aug.) is making this a very cost prohibitive trip.

Already have a modding plan, but that is slowly changing and becoming more refined.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:50 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
I'm going to be needing $3,715 in August for insurance..... Add to that car payments.... and I cant even think about mods. (which is REALLY hard when you live with Chad from Detroit Tuned... You get to see ALL the cool mods go on everyone else's cars!!!)

Old 06-01-2006, 03:59 PM
goaljnky
Banned
A good BF pays for his woman's mods. But I am not trying to start anything.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:45 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
A good BF pays for his woman's mods. But I am not trying to start anything.
hm... not trying to brag... but this was probably the biggest mod i've EVER bought

thus, why i have fewer MINI mods. But through thick and thin, Claire (the MINI) will always take a backseat to *Isabella*(the finacee)

Old 06-01-2006, 07:14 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Yeah... I'm starting grad school in the fall...

At this point, if Leif doesn't buy it for me as a present of some sort, I don't (and won't) have it for at least 3 years.

[I make an exception for my impending roof graphic]

Old 06-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Checkmate
5th Gear
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
I'm going to be needing $3,715 in August for insurance...
I couldn't imagine an insurance payment that high it would kill me...
I was really excited that since my birthday monday and turning 25 mine will be less than $300 every 6 months.

As far as the mods go...I keep adding and subtracting trying to figure out where the money is going to comefrom between school, gas, MINI trips and life mods are few and far between. Atleast I won an ALTA CAI at the Dragon. Boy was it worth paying for the farewell dinner for that.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:55 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
I'm going to be needing $3,715 in August for insurance..... Add to that car payments.... and I cant even think about mods. (which is REALLY hard when you live with Chad from Detroit Tuned... You get to see ALL the cool mods go on everyone else's cars!!!)

If you don't mind me asking...

why such high insurance?!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

why such high insurance?!
Anything to do with the "arrest me blue Z"? I think drivers of those can rack up tickets just sitting at a stop light they stand out so much.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:10 PM
goaljnky
Banned
hm... not trying to brag...

i've EVER bought

thus, why i have fewer MINI mods. But through thick and thin, Claire (the MINI) will always take a backseat to *Isabella*(the finacee)
Ahh trust me on this one. In years to come you will think of it as the most affordable mod ever. Specially since there will be things that you will be paying for forever. Us being man we just can't help it. By the way, your fiancee will be letting you know when it is time to pay.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:59 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Anything to do with the "arrest me blue Z"? I think drivers of those can rack up tickets just sitting at a stop light they stand out so much.
hm... I suppose the Pink is hard to miss.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:13 AM
GatorMini06
2nd Gear
Shankrabbit, wheres our circle badge!!!haha. How would you make that anyway?

Old 06-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Merkursport
4th Gear
I'll join up (might as well, can't afford anything else!), because you see that we are under a mandatory 20% salary decrease where I work. We refer to it as BAMF20, which is either a font or a wonderful shorthand for Broke-Arsed-Mini-Fellow. To someone who is:

A) Married (to a wonderful and understanding woman)
B) Has a child (a super-great girl coming up on her 3rd birthday)
C) Has a pretty nice house in a pretty nice suburb and of course (this is the killer)
D) Already has a 'hobby car' (my nome de plume, natch),

...the 20% is pretty much a killer of MINI mod fun, and frankly, that's a drag.

But it's OK, we have our health! (and actually have saved a few pennies to go see the English Beat at the Royal Oak Music Theatre tonight!! Woo woo! )

Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
R50 Paul
4th Gear
Today is my MINI's 3rd birthday. everyear I promise some-sort of present to him, but it looks like he's just gonna get a good wash!!!

Quick Reply: R50/53 The (not really) OFFICIAL "Not Enough Money for Mods/Upgrades" Support Group