R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 The cheap, thin leather on my steering wheel is starting to bubble, crack and flake

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 10:24 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cheap, thin leather on my steering wheel is starting to bubble, crack and flake

off. This is in spite of the fact that I only have 7,800 miles and the car is garaged most of the time. It's mostly at the 12 o'clock position where I seldom touch the steering wheel.

Anyone have this fixed under warranty, and did they replace the cover or the entire steering wheel?

I suppose I could fix it with a good aftermarket cover, but since it's a factory defect, I'll let MINI fix it.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:33 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree...let them sweat it out!! My leather wheel is fine w/ 38K miles on it and it's outside 24/7.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am on my third steering wheel for the same reason.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a clear warranty issue to me, rs. go fo' it! JB

Old 05-28-2006, 10:27 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd let the dealer resolve this one. What model year is your car?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:56 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
Definately sounds like a warranty problem to me. Get your MA involved with it too.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:25 AM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Sounds like you two have that rare but medically documented condition known as "Acid Hands". Don't worry; I'm sure there's a cure!

Old 05-28-2006, 02:43 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by acitydweller
I'd let the dealer resolve this one. What model year is your car?
It's an 03, as you can see from my mileage, (7,800), I don't drive it much. Think the dealer might say something like: "You didn't touch the steering wheel with your hands enough to keep it moist and oiled, therefore the warranty won't cover the problem."

Just kidding, it's got about 15 months left on the warranty, and I assume it's covered. I sorta hate for the steering wheel to be replaced though, due to the possibility of something getting screwed up in the process.

A nice high quality leather cover would solve the problem, but I think I'll get a new wheel, and then put a cover on it.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Jen
6th Gear
I have the same problem with my 03 MC (35,000 miles). I have not mentioned it because I really like my non-three spoke wheel and am afraid if I ask them to replace it I will get the three spoke. Not that there is anything wrong with the three spoke! My husband chose it for his 04 MCS and it is fine. Just a personal preference

Old 05-28-2006, 03:43 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jen
I have the same problem with my 03 MC (35,000 miles). I have not mentioned it because I really like my non-three spoke wheel and am afraid if I ask them to replace it I will get the three spoke. Not that there is anything wrong with the three spoke! My husband chose it for his 04 MCS and it is fine. Just a personal preference
You can always ask them which one you'll get and then decide. Good point, and I'll make sure I know what they are going to do with mine. I might take the three spoke wheel if that's all I could get. Need a closer look.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:25 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
It's an 03, as you can see from my mileage, (7,800), I don't drive it much. Think the dealer might say something like: "You didn't touch the steering wheel with your hands enough to keep it moist and oiled, therefore the warranty won't cover the problem."
I wouldn't laugh about that. They said that about my battery when it went dead ... didn't drive the car enough so MINI wont cover it.

I assume you have regularly used leather car products on the steering wheel? It should be no different than leather seats. It doesn't matter how often you drive it but over time, the leather will become brittle and your manual specifically tells you to care for the leather ...

The leather and imitation leather used by the manufacturer of your MINI are high quality products processed using state-ofthe-art methods and will retain their quality level for many years if cared for properly. Regular cleaning and care are necessary, as dust and road dirt scratch in pores and
creases and lead to heavy wear as well as premature brittleness of the leather and imitation leather surface.

Regular cleaning and care are necessary, as dust and road dirt scratch in pores and creases and lead to heavy wear as well as premature brittleness of the leather and imitation leather surface.

Notice the point about "dust" and brittleness. The can make a point if you didn't regularly maintain it per your manual.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:46 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
I wouldn't laugh about that. They said that about my battery when it went dead ... didn't drive the car enough so MINI wont cover it.

I assume you have regularly used leather car products on the steering wheel? It should be no different than leather seats. It doesn't matter how often you drive it but over time, the leather will become brittle and your manual specifically tells you to care for the leather ...

The leather and imitation leather used by the manufacturer of your MINI are high quality products processed using state-ofthe-art methods and will retain their quality level for many years if cared for properly. Regular cleaning and care are necessary, as dust and road dirt scratch in pores and
creases and lead to heavy wear as well as premature brittleness of the leather and imitation leather surface.

Regular cleaning and care are necessary, as dust and road dirt scratch in pores and creases and lead to heavy wear as well as premature brittleness of the leather and imitation leather surface.

Notice the point about "dust" and brittleness. The can make a point if you didn't regularly maintain it per your manual.
Yep, I maintained it perfectly, if they want to see my schedule for wiping down the steering wheel, no problem, I'll show it to them. The problem is the high quality, state of the art leather they refer to is el cheapo crapola.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:35 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by resmini
Yep, I maintained it perfectly, if they want to see my schedule for wiping down the steering wheel, no problem, I'll show it to them. The problem is the high quality, state of the art leather they refer to is el cheapo crapola.
Yeah, like a small section on the leather on my driver's side door seat bolster, already wearing thin due to me getting in and out over the last 18 months. Already informed that this is "normal" wear und tear not covered under warranty. JB

Old 10-17-2006, 10:58 AM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
I have the same problem with the steering wheel. The leather is nearly gone. I actually debated just peeling it all off and leaving the foam there. I've already bought a cover for it, but does anyone know where I could find a new Mini steering wheel that is NOT from the dealer? I've been looking like crazy, but all I can find are ones without the stereo control. I definitely want to keep those controls. My warranty ran out almost 40,000 miles ago.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If anyone can find somewhere to buy a MFSW from a non-dealer, please forward me the link, my wheel is peeling too and I'm out of warrenty. Also, if i get a MFSW will it work, since my MINI dosn't currently have a MFSW?

Old 10-17-2006, 11:15 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
My 03 MINI did the same thing they'll replace the wheel

Old 10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
MyMiniME
1st Gear
I just put a nice wheel cover on that matched my mini and that pretty much solves the problem for the wear and tear. My '05MC has 30k and I havnt had any problems yet.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:09 PM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
I have this problem and for some reason never thought to have it replaced. Warranty is up in about 1500 miles...I'd better act fast!

Old 10-17-2006, 05:46 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
this wasnt a problem whe i bought the car in february with 35k miles on it, now 15k miles later the top left quarter is almost completely gone. i find myself subconciouslly wanting to peel it off

Old 10-17-2006, 06:09 PM
bluzeke
4th Gear
Anyone got a photo of this "condition"?

Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
I ordered a steering wheel glove from MyMini.com that covers the spokes up to the plastic. It was $35! vs probably 300+ for a new wheel at the dealer. I'll post again when I install it. It will cover all of the bubbled and now missing leather on the wheel.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:24 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AliceCooperWA
I ordered a steering wheel glove from MyMini.com that covers the spokes up to the plastic. It was $35! vs probably 300+ for a new wheel at the dealer. I'll post again when I install it. It will cover all of the bubbled and now missing leather on the wheel.
I had my steering wheel replaced at the dealer, no questions asked. Might like to get the cover to help keep the new steering wheel from blistering and peeling like the previous one.......it is an exact replacement.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Mark C.
3rd Gear
Has this ever happened to the 3-spoke wheel? I remember someone with a 2-spoke posting about it a while back, but I doubt everyone in this thread has a 2-spoke...

Old 11-23-2007, 10:21 PM
eTHE2
1st Gear
My two spoke wheel on my 2004 has suffered the same fate after about 12K miles. The dealer here in SoCal, along with BMW/Mini, indicated this is normal wear and tear and has refused to replace it under warranty. The steering wheel glove is a good idea, but I would like to have a new steering wheel before I cover it. Is there another tact to take with the dealer to get this replaced?

Old 11-24-2007, 07:05 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eTHE2
My two spoke wheel on my 2004 has suffered the same fate after about 12K miles. The dealer here in SoCal, along with BMW/Mini, indicated this is normal wear and tear and has refused to replace it under warranty. The steering wheel glove is a good idea, but I would like to have a new steering wheel before I cover it. Is there another tact to take with the dealer to get this replaced?
Try another dealer, my dealer, Roadshow, instantly said "no problem, we'll replace it for you." I think most dealers would.

Quick Reply: R50/53 The cheap, thin leather on my steering wheel is starting to bubble, crack and flake