R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Our Pepper White is a Lemon! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 04:50 PM
DOX_J
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our Pepper White is a Lemon! HELP!

We are brand new owners of a Pepper White MCS. We have owned it 3 whole weeks (less than 500 miles on the odometer), and in that time it has been in the shop 3 times for the SES light! It has spent more time in the dealer's garage than ours!

The dealer has mentioned that if the SES comes on TWO more times, they will work with us to get a new car. TWO MORE TIMES! Does this sound excessive? The problem is that we have NO confidence in this car anymore. BTW...the 3 times it has been in...3 different sensors picked up 3 different things.

Anyone got any advice for us???

Dox J

Old 05-17-2006, 04:52 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DOX_J
Anyone got any advice for us???

Dox J
Should have bought a Honda?
(just kidding).

I would pray it comes on two more time and get a new car

Old 05-17-2006, 04:52 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Document thoroughly, and consult Mini of US. I recall int he manual that it was 3 times for the same problem. Well, I THOUGHT I recalled that...good luck! Keep us posted!
Thom, of a PW MCS with 390 miles!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:00 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Tell us a bit more about your MINI. Is it an automatic or the six-speed? Is it a JCW? Maybe a little more info will let us help you, but lemoning sounds like a real possibility. So make SURE to keep a log of all phone calls and keep all paperwork. Sorry for your problems...what a drag!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:08 PM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
Also, you may want to check with your state to see what the lemon laws are. I think in Washington State, if you have the same problem three times, your car is declared a lemon and the state will work with you and the dealership to get you a new car.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:21 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyWSea
Also, you may want to check with your state to see what the lemon laws are. I think in Washington State, if you have the same problem three times, your car is declared a lemon and the state will work with you and the dealership to get you a new car.
It depends on the laws of the state where your car was first placed in service. If you bought your car out of state, then the lemon law of the state where the car was "delivered" to you applies. Otherwise, if the car was delivered to you in the state where you presently live, then those lemon laws apply. Different states have different lemon laws. For example, the lemon law in California charges the manufacturer for the cost of legal representation for the consumer. Other states are not as generous. If the applicable lemon law says three strikes (three times in for the same problem) and you get a new car (or more precisely, the manufacturer must buy the car back), then you would seem to have a solution.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:40 PM
DOX_J
Neutral
Little lemon squeezing us....

The state where we bought the Mini does have a lemon law, and we do seem to fall under that category at this point (with 3 visits). The problem is we LOVE the car (despite the damn SES light) and just want a new one at this point!! I hate to have to litigate this with the dealer, and drag it on and on. Ironically enough, I have waited 4 years to buy a Mini because I was spooked by the supercharger yo-yoing and I wanted to give it some time to work out the "kinks." So much for no kinks!!!

We have an 06 MCS 6 speed. The "usual suspects" for the SES have been eliminated (bad sensor and wrong software apparently). It is really worrisome to me that 3 different things came up in diagnostics. One go-round came up with a leak in the tank vent system, which was fixed. SES light came back on within 36 hours.

We like our MINI....we just don't want a lemon!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:58 PM
DOX_J
Neutral
I think I need to clarify....the dealer checked that the wrong software had not been installed in our car (making the SES light come on repeatedly) and it had NOT. It does have the right chip apparently.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:31 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
Thats too bad. Do keep us posted on the outcome. I have now 988 trouble free miles and looks to me that I will have alot more of them too! Good luck in getting things resolved to your satisfaction and definately document and contact MINI USA about it as well.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:47 PM
C4
Banned
Unfortunately in the world of mass produced automobiles a bad apple (or more) can manage to leave the factory from time to time. It can happen to MINI, Honda, Lexus or Toyota.

If the dealer is offering you to replace the car after the 3rd visit, outside of litigation, arbitration and Lemon Law, make them put that offer in writting. Don't believe them if they refuse to do so.

It seems your sutiation is compunded by a problematic car and an incompetent servicing dealer. At any rate, talk to a Lemon Law attorney, document every phone call, conversation and keep a NEAT folder with every single paper related to the case.

I have owned 3 MINIs since 2002. I currently own a 2002 Cooper CVT with 37K miles and a 2005 MCS 6 speed manual with 14K+ miles. Both cars have been ROCK SOLID and the '05 has never been back to the dealership for any unscheduled service problem since I took delivery 14 months ago. Oh and I just took a 2,500 mile road trip in it without a single problem.

I am really sorry that you waited 4 years and you had to end up getting a less than perfect MINI. But I assure you that your car is a very, very rare exception rather than the rule. These cars are extremely reliable, well built and solid. They can provide you with years of dependable motoring.

People with ZERO problem cars simply don't post about their car being 100% problem free.

Hope for the best!

Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
People with ZERO problem cars simply don't post about their car being 100% problem free.
Not true! I have had a car that has been 100% problem free and have posted about that circumstance on a number of threads.

When the MINI is right, it is really right. If you want a new MINI, you have a really strong negotiating position. If it were me, depending on whether the state where you bought the car provides for coverage of attorney's fees, I would have a lemon law attorney start the process of negotiating with MINI to get a replacement car built immediately. There is absolutely NO reason why you should hold your breath for more bites of the apple (so-to-speak). If you have passed the threshold for a buy-back/replacement, then pull the trigger!

Old 05-17-2006, 10:47 PM
4RETECH
2nd Gear
I am sorry to hear about the SES light.

The dealer does not want to see you back there for this problem and are probably working with Mini Corp. to get this resolved. Note: BMW takes this very seriously. As of last year, certain states which have check engine lights on more than 3 times for the same occurance can have a branded title. Thus, most dealers/manufacturers are buying them back before going to court.

I do know that if you do not tighten the fuel cap properly, it will set off a SES light.

Good Luck to you and let us know how you make out.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:20 AM
ICEMAN
2nd Gear
Our 06 JCW has been in 3 times aswell. We are very "hands-on" when it comes to knowing what the problems have been and in all 3 cases they were no fault of build quality. (The first 2 set off the ses light)

1. Sticky blow-off valve on the SC
2. Pinched vacuum line (no big deal - probably caused when the valve was fixed)
3. Leaking CV boot (if you saw the pot-holes on our roads you'd understand...and wonder why we live here!)

I think it's important to distinguish WHAT the problems are. As mentioned it can be something as frivilous as not properly fastening the gascap. We're very lucky to have a great relationship with the dealership and our MINI tech (we love Karl!)

Old 05-18-2006, 06:40 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I would say that if your state allows you to qualify your car for lemon status now, I would go to a lawyer and pay him to right up papers to the dealership giving them notice that it is time to replace your car. This should be enough to get some action and it wont cost much. Plus, if you qualify for lemon status now, you want to get the ball rolling to get an order in for an 06 before they change the factory over to 07 tooling.

Good luck, BTW my 06 JCW w/3000 miles has never even hiccuped (knock on wood).

Old 05-18-2006, 06:42 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ICEMAN
(The first 2 set off the ses light)

1. Sticky blow-off valve on the SC
2. Pinched vacuum line (no big deal - probably caused when the valve was fixed)
Just out of curiosity, what are the signs of this happening? I know that this is somewhat often problem. Will I know it when/if it happens?

Thanks

Old 05-18-2006, 08:36 AM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 4RETECH
I am sorry to hear about the SES light.

The dealer does not want to see you back there for this problem and are probably working with Mini Corp. to get this resolved. Note: BMW takes this very seriously. As of last year, certain states which have check engine lights on more than 3 times for the same occurance can have a branded title. Thus, most dealers/manufacturers are buying them back before going to court.

I do know that if you do not tighten the fuel cap properly, it will set off a SES light.

Good Luck to you and let us know how you make out.
Yes, make sure when you fill her up with gas that the fuel cap is fully rotated until you hear a click....if it doesn't click it isn't sealed properly and it will more-than-likely throw an SES.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:46 AM
saakey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DOX_J
I think I need to clarify....the dealer checked that the wrong software had not been installed in our car (making the SES light come on repeatedly) and it had NOT. It does have the right chip apparently.
I notice you are in Maryland...did you get your car from Towson? Not that that matters or anything - it's just where I bought mine. Do you know the born date of the car? (just wondering if you were before or after the factory changes) Did you order it or buy from the lot? Just curious if it was used for test drives.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:55 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davisflyer
Plus, if you qualify for lemon status now, you want to get the ball rolling to get an order in for an 06 before they change the factory over to 07 tooling.
Just chiming in to reiterate that point. We don't want you to have to wait another few years for the new bugs to be worked out. I know you love the car, but think of how much more you'll love one without such persistent problems!

Old 05-18-2006, 09:15 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
I'd like to hear a little bit about this leaking boot seal?
I'm in SF and the roads are Mad Max worthy...

Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
I'd like to hear a little bit about this leaking boot seal?
I'm in SF and the roads are Mad Max worthy...
About the only way that I can imagine a leaking CV Joint boot occurring from bad roads is road debris. And, if it was from road debris, there would be suspension damage as well. A more likely cause is defective rubber or a problematic installation.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:11 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
right on, thanks! Just curious, from that earlier comment.
I know I'm just sensitive to it, with th enew car and all, but MAN the roads are all torn up here, and crap's flying *****-nilly all over the place: an aesthetic implication, if not a mechanical one.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:53 PM
DOX_J
Neutral
Thanks all for your comments.

About the gas cap....the first two episodes of SES lights were while we were still on our first tank of gas right from the dealer. And while a dealer can mess up the gas cap too, that was the first thing we checked. It was fine. And I'm sure the THREE times the dealer has looked at it, they ruled that out too.

So our Pepper White is back at the dealer right now, and no doubt they have completely disassembled the thing trying to figure out what is wrong. THAT in itself makes me concerned. It's our brand new car!!! We just want it to be perfect! It also REALLY makes me mad that the car now has like 525 miles on the odometer, and all but about 50 of them were put on it while driving back and forth to the dealer, or test driving BY the dealer.

I'm also concerned that there may be a very very minor flaw in it that is just throwing sensors RIGHT NOW...but 20K down the road it might be a MAJOR problem.

Just blowing off some extra "engine compression" here, wanting this to get straightened out. Thanks all!

Old 05-19-2006, 08:03 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
I know it sucks, but I would say so far, I could see an argument that you do not qualify for Lemon Law replacement.

You said that 3 different codes showed up and one of them, the tank vent system was reparied. I thought it had to be 3 times for the same thing.

Since the SES light can come on for a hundred plus different reasons, it will be interesting to see how they see this. You might call your states Attorney Generals office and ask them.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:10 AM
JATO
2nd Gear
I'm sorry, I have tried to find out what a SES light is. I'm making some guesses.
1. Stupid Equipment Sucks
2. Sucky Electrical Stinks
3. Sing Elvis Sing

Are any of these close?

Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JATO
I'm sorry, I have tried to find out what a SES light is. I'm making some guesses.
1. Stupid Equipment Sucks
2. Sucky Electrical Stinks
3. Sing Elvis Sing

Are any of these close?
Service Engine Soon...or else!!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Our Pepper White is a Lemon! HELP!