R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Buying a MINI in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:04 AM
cindymoon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a MINI in San Diego

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a MINI Cooper, and I've been reading some of the posts, which have been pretty helpful, especially on prices in Southern California. What I understand is that most MINI's are going for MSRP or maybe even more? Has anyone ever dealt with or heard of Brecht Mini in Escondido? I've also been hearing a lot about the Classi MINI dealer--where is that located? What's the best dealer around San Diego? Has anyone ever bought a MINI through the Costco Auto program in San Diego, and how much was the member's price on that?

Any other advice on MINI's and buying a first MINI would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Classic is in Ohio. Can't help you with SD dealers. I didn't realize the Costco program could source MINIs...
If you can't get MSRP quickly in your area, buy out of State. The drive back is a hoot!
Have fun!

Old 05-12-2006, 08:44 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, cindymoon!

There are a lot of San Diegans here on NAM. Brecht got off to a shaky start as a MINI dealership, however if you can get a MINI from them at MSRP, do it!

Because the MINI is in short supply, I'd be very surprised if you could order/buy one through Costco.

What many of us have done is to go to www.MINIUSA.com and build our own, print off the specs, and take those into the dealership or fax it around to various dealerships, to get it built at MSRP or see if one with similar specs is available.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:55 AM
beaglemini
2nd Gear
hello -

we went through the costco member's program and are buying from brecht. the salesperson was nice and professional. our price was a little below msrp; don't think you can get that without the costco program. the costco membership is probably a lot less than the dealer mark-ups

our car is about to get on a ship so we're about three weeks away from delivery.

good luck!

Old 05-12-2006, 08:58 AM
hollis3
Coordinator :: Motoring Underground Club Forum
Brecht has its good sides and for some, its bad sides.
I have had great experiences with them.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:07 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beaglemini
hello -

we went through the costco member's program and are buying from brecht. the salesperson was nice and professional. our price was a little below msrp; don't think you can get that without the costco program. the costco membership is probably a lot less than the dealer mark-ups

our car is about to get on a ship so we're about three weeks away from delivery.

good luck!
Well, back in 2002, when I bought my first MINI, Costco didn't offer their program for MINIs. That's great to know that you can buy through Costco!

Old 05-12-2006, 09:36 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by beaglemini

Being able to get a car at a slight discount through the Costco program is fantastic news (especially for buyers in California - the market seems as tight as ever for MINIs in California). Hope you are completely satisfied when your car arrives.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:46 AM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you can get it through Costco, go for it!

I saw a Brecht ad in the paper a while ago saying they were selling cars that were on the lot for MSRP. Someone posted in the So Cal forum that when he tried to get one of them, Brecht said he had to also buy dealer-installed options in order to get the car for MSRP. Not sure if that is still the case, or what their pricing is for custom orders.

The folks at Brecht were very nice when I went for a test drive in 2004, but at that time wanted at least 7.5% over sticker. I ordered mine from Mini of the Hamptons for MSRP. They shipped the car to El Cajon for $500 which saved me at least $1000 compared to Brecht's price.

Sounds like Costco would save you the trouble, though. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2006, 10:23 AM
sddave
3rd Gear
Hey Cindy, welcome

I looked at Brecht and at the time, 3 months ago, they were MSRP but had about 3k worth of options on all of their cars, so I decided not to buy there. My MINI is currently due to arrive this week and there is another NAM'r from the Bay Area who bought his MINI from Brecht, so I guess it depends on who at Brecht you deal with and if they are charging MSRP or not.

I went to Long Beach MINI because they charge MSRP only and they provide a loaner car. It is a bit of a drive, but the loaner car is nice. I waited 3 weeks on their "wait list" before I could order, which was OK with me.

Good luck!

Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 PM
curv872
4th Gear
Cindy,

Like sddave, I also went with Long Beach MINI. I had my name put on the wait list, and when it was my time to order I was able to get exactly what I wanted for MSRP.

Joe

Old 05-12-2006, 01:10 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the board. Good luck with your MINI purchase.

Being on the west coast you'll need to watch out for the "Market Adjustment". Pay no more than suggested retail and hold your ground.

Here's a great thread for motivation:

http://www.metroplexmini.org/forum/s...ad.php?t=14790

Old 05-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Methman
3rd Gear
When I bought my 2005 MCS in April 2005, Brecht didn't have much of a selection. I check Crevier in Santa Ana and they were overpriced and after giving them my cell number, I continuously received recorded advertisement calls!

I ended up buying mine through Irvine Mini. I had a great experience there!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:11 AM
DivMini
2nd Gear
Hi Cindy,

I purchased my 2006 MCS in March from Long Beach Mini rather than from the two local dealers here in Orange County or Brecht in San Diego. The fact that Long Beach was charging MSRP (the others were MSRP + dealer mark up at least when I shopped them) and had loaner cars was the deciding factor. The buying experience was extremely professional and stress free and I've found their service after sales equally professional.

Good Luck!

Old 05-17-2006, 08:00 AM
sddave
3rd Gear
I spoke to Long Beach MINI yesterday to find out the status of my MINI and they indicated that will start to be open for business on Sundays now, starting this weekend. I think they were the only SoCal MINI dealer not open on Sunday.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:56 AM
jimskater
3rd Gear
FYI--the Costco MINI purchase is available in (I think) VA, NC, and in So Cal.

From what I hear, the So Cal option is limited to residents of San Diego, Riverside & Orange counties. You will be referred to Brecht.

In looking back over the last 3 1/2 years, I've bought an MC & an MCS from Brecht. I'm about to buy a GP from them, too. I wouldn't keep going back if I wasn't a satisfied customer.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 AM
04SDmini
3rd Gear
I'm indifferent when it comes to sales departments but Service is critical... I bought my 04 MCS from Brecht. I had also bought a 530i from them in 2001. BMW service was great but, I have to say I was incredibly disappointed in the mini service to the point where I was about to get rid of the mini.... ( they expected me to wait 1-2 weeks to get an oil leak looked at and wouldn't guarantee that it would be fixed in less than a week???) BUT I was in there last week for my 30K service and they have made a 100% turn around. Service was on par with BMW and Mercedes in terms of speed, Courtesy and quality of work. I would highly recommend them and if I don't order a Vtec mini I'll be back at brecht for a new toy in a couple of years :-)