R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Checkerboard rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:02 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checkerboard rearview mirror

I recently saw a checkerboard for the rear view mirror. It came in both the standard and rain sensor model. Now I cant fine the link to who sells it.

Does anyone have it? I love to see a pic and also does anyone know where to get it?

Old 04-16-2006, 09:36 PM
sagworks
running with scissors
Any dealer can sell it. I got mine from Morristown Mini - they were having a sale.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:09 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
OOOO-ahhhhh!!!

Is that roof decal have a perferated sunroof. I so want that option. What did it cost you for the rearview mirror and did you install it yourself?

Old 04-17-2006, 05:49 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
It's around $42 at morristownmini.com. It is easy to install as it just slides over the existing mirror cover - it is slotted at the top to fit around the mirror support. It has double sided tape around it to firmly attach to the existing cover. I have a pic of it in my gallery.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:04 AM
Lerzard
1st Gear
Oh yes!!

I need to have it! :-)

Guess I'll be calling the dealer today, although I'll check online first. I'd rather not give them any more of my $$.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:05 AM
sagworks
running with scissors
Originally Posted by ninjamini
OOOO-ahhhhh!!!

Is that roof decal have a perferated sunroof. I so want that option. What did it cost you for the rearview mirror and did you install it yourself?
The mirror cover is super easy to install. I have the perforated sunroof piece in my living room, but on the car right now it is solid. Mike with Aesthiccreations did it for me, and is going install the perforated piece at the dragon for me.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:33 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
It's around $42 at morristownmini.com. It is easy to install as it just slides over the existing mirror cover - it is slotted at the top to fit around the mirror support. It has double sided tape around it to firmly attach to the existing cover. I have a pic of it in my gallery.
OOhhh-aaahhhh. I love the checkerboard on the sunroof only. I want that too. Whats that cost? Humm $160 at cooperflags. That seems like alot for a 2 color B&W graphic. Who has it cheep?

Old 04-17-2006, 07:45 AM
sagworks
running with scissors
The perforated vinyl itself is quite expensive for the companies to buy it unprinted. Then it is has special inks and there is a special printer so $160 is not that bad. When I was working printing with a large format printer, we would charge about the same for a sunroof size poster on the super nice glossy paper. (I did not set the prices) check with Mike at http://www.aestheticreations.net/ though I doubt you'll find one for a lot cheaper than $160. Give your local sign shop a call, they might do it cheaper and it would be done locally.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
I ordered my mirror cover from MorrisTown, but was only available for mirrors WITHOUT the Convenience package. So I made a jig/template to cut out the section around the garage door buttons (three buttons plus an LED). I used a Dremel tool. I added some two-sided tape to the edge of the cut-out area and it attached quite nicely. There is a photo in my gallery of one angle of the car wher you can see the finished product.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:29 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Cooper Guy, thanks for that! I've wanted this for awhile,but have the convenience package and was told it wouldn't work. Glad to see you tried it and it worked!
Annette
Sigh, what's another $50?

Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
rcoopers
4th Gear
looks great....what is the part number for the checkerboard cover?i can only find the number for the union jack cover(51160398500)
thanks for your help.......

Old 04-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
Cooper Guy, thanks for that! I've wanted this for awhile,but have the convenience package and was told it wouldn't work. Glad to see you tried it and it worked!
Annette
Sigh, what's another $50?
Well worth the $50. Just be sure you place the cover on the mirror and garage buttons, mark it with a Sharpie-type pen, then mark off the tab you need to cut out with the Dremel tool. I also tested the Dremel on a heavy plastic milk carton to get a feel for the cut - DON'T just start cutting your mirror cover until you get a feel for the "bite" of the Dremel tool on the plastic. I think I tested about 4 bits before I found the right one to use. Here is a photo of the finished product before install.

If you have the checkered mirrors, this REALLY finishes the look without over doing it.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:27 PM
PEP
Coordinator ::Bluegrass Minis
Originally Posted by rcoopers
looks great....what is the part number for the checkerboard cover?i can only find the number for the union jack cover(51160398500)
thanks for your help.......
If you look on any of the dealer sites in the Acessories section>Interior Items>
Look for the Union Jack covers, find your model year (there's up to 06/04 and 07/04 on), then pull down the Options tab (under the picture) and you'll find the Checkered ones. There's a version for cars with the auto-dimming mirror and one for those without.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:33 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
If you are going to have the cover shipped I recommend Morristown Mini cause theirs are 15% off if ordered online.

I have checkered mirrors caps, rear view cap, & I got a checkered roof decal made for my convertible top (well I don't really have much of a hard top but the slit of top that is between the windshield & the canvas top). I am gonna get a pic of it all & post it this weekend. It looks really cool

Old 04-18-2006, 10:59 PM
PEP
Coordinator ::Bluegrass Minis
Originally Posted by bamatt
If you are going to have the cover shipped I recommend Morristown Mini cause theirs are 15% off if ordered online.

I have checkered mirrors caps, rear view cap, & I got a checkered roof decal made for my convertible top (well I don't really have much of a hard top but the slit of top that is between the windshield & the canvas top). I am gonna get a pic of it all & post it this weekend. It looks really cool
I actually just ordered one from them. I can recommend them as well as I ordered my badge holder from there and delivery only took about 5 days and only cost $2 shipping. I can't complain. They seem to be one of only a few dealers that have online ordering. I wish my semi-local dealer did, but oh well.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:58 AM
C4
Banned
Too bad MINI doesn't offer the cover for those of us with the Rain sensor/Homelink buttons.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:28 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
OOhhh-aaahhhh. I love the checkerboard on the sunroof only. I want that too. Whats that cost?
ninjamini:
We ordered the checkerboard decal from the dealer when we ordered my wife's MINI. I think it was $200 from them - pricey, maybe, but it looks good on her car. She loves the checkerboard mirror caps.
After seeing Cooper Guy's mirror cover, I don't understand why MINI doesn't offer this for the homelink mirrors.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:01 AM
rcoopers
4th Gear
thanks for your help....will order today......

Old 04-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
ninjamini:

After seeing Cooper Guy's mirror cover, I don't understand why MINI doesn't offer this for the homelink mirrors.
It wasn't very hard to modify. All sensors and homelinks work just fine. I wanted to complete the checkerboard look with the mirrors and I just found a way to may it work.

Yes, Morristown MINI has great prices and Nick there is great about getting what you need. It takes him about a day to respond to an e-mail, so be patient.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:56 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I can't remember if I have the Auto-dimming, if I do it's never activated. Where would I find out. I do have the rain sensor, so I'm guessing I have the other.
Ready to order more goodies!
Annette

Old 04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Ready to order more goodies!
Addiction is a terrible thing!

Old 04-19-2006, 05:48 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Ahh so wait I have the auto dimming mirror and rain sensor. They do have one for me don't they? I sure hope so.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:50 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
$ 80 for the side mirrors
$ 50 for the rearview mirrors
$160 for the perforated sunroof decal.

Thats $290 Geeze the wife is gonna kill me.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:03 PM
C4
Banned
Ahh so wait I have the auto dimming mirror and rain sensor. They do have one for me don't they? I sure hope so.
Nope, unfortunately it is not available from MINI for those of us with the rain sensor/automatic rearview mirror.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
$ 80 for the side mirrors
$ 50 for the rearview mirrors
$160 for the perforated sunroof decal.

Thats $290 Geeze the wife is gonna kill me.
I thought side mirror caps were more like $130

Quick Reply: R50/53 Checkerboard rearview mirror