R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Planning my cross-country trip...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 04:13 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning my cross-country trip...

Yes, it's true, I *finally* ordered my new MINI.

Anyway, it should hopefully be arriving in Chicago around early-mid May.

I'll be flying out to Chicago to pick it up and then make the long drive (with my friend) back home to Seattle.

I'm starting to plan out the trip, and also make sure I have enough time to take it easy for the first 1000 miles and do a proper break-in.

I'm looking for suggestions on things to do/see/drive/meet/go while on the way back.

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2006, 04:15 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats, o-ron! I haven't roadtripped that route, but I suggest that you post in the various regions you plan to pass through and connect with other MINI folk along the way! That has been a great source of pleasure for me the past 3 years....good luck!

Old 03-28-2006, 04:26 PM
C4
Banned
You can do I-90 all the way back to Seattle. One point of interest along that route is Devils Tower in Wyoming and the Black Hills in South Dakota...

Old 03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well you have to drive Lake shore drive heading north out of the city, it is a series of tiwsties that goes on and on and has one really tight spot. A drive along the Fox River is nice (esp. down by St. Charles), going around some of the closer suburbs there are some nice intustrial parks you can twist through. Any town with the word Barrington has some good tiwsties. A trip into WI and you can find some nice twisties and hills. Lake Forest has some good tight roads just off of lake shore drive. Woodstock has some good roads that connect sub-divisions. There is a thread of good Chicago drives, but I can't seem to find it right now. Also on your way west Galena has good tiwsties and if you go further north along the Minnesota WI border there are some fun mountains to drive through. Definately check out the CMMC club hompage for a list of events and people to meet. I'm heading back to Chicago some time in May, but don't know when just yet, I should plan my trip back to meet some NAMers.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by C4
You can do I-90 all the way back to Seattle. One point of interest along that route is Devils Tower in Wyoming and the Black Hills in South Dakota...
Might be worth it to check out Mt. Rushmore, the roads up and down the rockies are real fun, a short bit out of the way but I'd recomend Jackson Hole, WY or a stop in Yellowstone, heck might even be worth it to take an extra dsay off an head south a little bit and drive up along the west coast.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:48 PM
C4
Banned
Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons and Mt Rushmore are all highly recommended stops along the way.

If you want to engage in one of the most thrilling drives of your life in your new MINI, I highly recommend to climb up the majestic Big Horn Mountains in Northern Wyoming and check out the mysterious and beautiful " The Medicine Wheel Passage". Absolutely breathtaking views and a great work out for your MINI. Warning: This is not a drive/road for people that get easily scared!

Wyoming Highway 14A, known as the Medicine Wheel Passage, rises from the Big Horn Basin to high elevation rangeland. Named for the Medicine Wheel National Historic Landmark, the Medicine Wheel Passage celebrates the rich Native American history and culture of Wyoming. With the panorama of the Big Horn Basin and Absoraka Mountains in the background the Byway provides a unique and informative view into the spiritual qualities of ancient history. Just as its name implies, the Medicine Wheel Passage has always been much more than a byway, it is a passage

Old 03-28-2006, 06:03 PM
pgifford
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by o-ron
Yes, it's true, I *finally* ordered my new MINI.
It's about time!

What did you end up getting? Or did I miss that post?

Congratulations!

Paul

Old 03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
'06 DS/B/B MCS LSD, Sunroof, SP+Webspokes, Cruise/MFSW, H/K, G/B Lette, Silver/Chrome interior, and black carpet floor mats for free

These are great suggestions! I've seen Yellowstone and Jackson Hole and Mount Rushmore, but it's been a long time since I saw Mount Rushmore. I've *always* wanted to see Devil's Tower, but never have.

I like the "twisty road" suggestions, except that I probably won't be utilizing them to their full extent until 1,000 miles (montana area..??)

Also, I'm wondering what the recommended mileage for first check-in / oil change is, since the last dealer until I get to Seattle is in Minnesota.

THANKS!

Old 03-28-2006, 09:41 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
If you want to engage in one of the most thrilling drives of your life in your new MINI, I highly recommend to climb up the majestic Big Horn Mountains in Northern Wyoming and check out the mysterious and beautiful " The Medicine Wheel Passage". Absolutely breathtaking views and a great work out for your MINI. Warning: This is not a drive/road for people that get easily scared!
sounds like fun!

Last edited by MINIclo; 03-28-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:21 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
>>>I've *always* wanted to see Devil's Tower, but never have.<<<

Me too. "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind" really gave it the mystique for me. One day...

Congrats on your new MINI. That drive home sounds like a great way to break it in. Enjoy!

Old 03-29-2006, 05:16 AM
sprbxr
2nd Gear
THe Badlands in South Dakota is great too. Black Hills has alot of excellent roads.

Justin

Old 03-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Also, I'm wondering what the recommended mileage for first check-in / oil change is, since the last dealer until I get to Seattle is in Minnesota.

THANKS!
MINI won't change it for 10K+ miles under normal circumstances, so you don't have to worry about that for the drive. Some **** MINI owners do interim changes at at the 5K mark.
Enjoy the trip!

You might want to see if you can find a spare used tire/wheel in Chicago to stuff in the back. You're going a long way in some sparsely populated areas. It's not likely that you'd suffer a catastrophic tire failure, but ask Averywo, who just got stranded in Lone Pine on the way back from AMVIV... MINI roadside assistance will help, but that's no help if you're not in cell phone range, and the MINI tires aren't always in stock. You may also (or alternatively) pick up a set of tire plugs and a small compressor.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:06 AM
o-ron
5th Gear
Good point about the spare. I'll ask my dealer if i can have a an old used spare for cheap (or free).

I presume that since I ordered my upgraded 17" web spokes through the manufacturer, that the 16's aren't coming across on the boat... (?)

Good to know that the oil change is at 10k. However, I thought it was good to do an oil change after the break-in period to clean out all the "gunk" that's rubbing off during that period??

Old 03-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Some folks do that for piece of mind - others say that mfg tolerances and processes make such practices unneccessary/out of date. Even if you wanted to to that, 2K isn't too late.
If you're really ****, pick up a filter and a jug of Castrol (or your favorite synthetic 5W-30) and have it done on the road. Beware, though, the Jiffy Lube in Bozeman likely will not have done a change on a MINI, and be mystified when they have to put the oil filter in the canister. Given the possibility of the unanointed screwing something up, I'd say you're better off waiting until you get home!

Old 03-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Chuck in Indiana
1st Gear
Originally Posted by C4
The slab sucks, specially if you're breaking in a new engine. US 30 (The Lincoln highway) has interesting historical stuff.
Once you get to the badlands, they're worth a look.
The Black hills have some beautiful roads. Don't miss Spearfish canyon, going into Spearfish. The Devil's tower isn't far from there.

From one of my motorcycle buddies when I was planning a trip out west:
  • US-14 vs US-14A over the Big Horn Mountains. In the end, I think I'll go with US-14, but really, these two routes are just so stunning that the debate between the two is pointless. These two roads are easily two of the best in the country.
  • US-14 from Gillette to Sheridan. Why take I-90 if you have the time to take this much nicer road?
  • WY-130 across the Snowy Range. This is the route of the old stage line, when distance mattered more than elevation. These days all the traffic is well to the north on I-80, but that's no reason for you to miss this terrific mountain road.
  • US-85 from Lingle to the Black Hills. This part of Wyoming is very little changed. The road is rarely flat, and rarely straight, although you will not be challenged by any means. It's high prairie at its best.
  • US-16. Sure, I think US-14 may be the best route across the Big Horn Mountains, but US-16 has it's points as it curves down the canyon to the small town of Ten Sleep.
  • WY-296 from Cody to Cooke City. The route of the Dead Indian pass. This is a fairly newly paved road and is one of the best, anywhere.
  • WY-22 across the Tetons. Most of the traffic is down on US-26, so you won't be bothered on this one.
  • US-30 from Fort Steele to Laramie. This isn't really any sort of great road, but it is the route of the old Lincoln Highway, and it's much more interesting than I-80.
  • WY-372 and US-189 from Green River to Jackson. I prefer this route to the more common US-191 for riding to Jackson. The views aren't a whole lot different, but the road has less traffic and it's just more interesting.
  • Montana
  • Going-to-the-Sun. This road need hardly be mentioned here. This is one of the more famous roads in the United States. You won't be speeding on it, but you'll be looking around so much that you won't want to. Watch out for the running water, which is always there from the constant snowmelt. If you have already been on this road, and you have never been on the Marias Pass section of US-2 (which skirts the southern boundary), then that's what you should do.
  • [FONT=&quot]MT-200 between Great Falls and Missoula. I think this road is best when ridden towards the west. You'll get the best views of the Rocky Mountains available anywhere. Parts of the route can be challenging, but mostly it's just nice sweepers through the mountains. If you want to start on MT-200 at Glendive (or Sidney), you won't be disappointed. You'll see the entire state, and you'll have a nice sampling of everything it contains.[/FONT]
  • Idaho

I love riding in Idaho. I can't say that I have a favorite state, but Idaho often comes to mind. While the Snake River Plain in the southern part has a certain charm (meaning that it's not for everyone), everything north is just about perfect. I think what makes this state so nice is that it is so empty and remote. All the people are mostly huddled along the Snake River, which leaves the rest of the state pretty clear of traffic.
  • US-95 from Meadows to Eastport. This will run you all the way up the panhandle. I particularly like the part from Grangeville to Spalding running through the Nez Perce land. It's not mountainous, but there are mountains on either side of you. The section just north of Lewiston has a stunning view back south down to the Snake River. If you have the time, take the old highway up the hill. Another old section worth taking is the White Bird grade, just north out of the town of White Bird
  • US-12 from Lolo Hot Springs to Spalding--usually referred to as the Lolo Pass route. At one point there is a road sign that warns of a winding road--next 77 miles (or some large figure). That's not actually true (as only near the actual Lola Pass does it have any serious turns), but it makes for a great photograph. What this road really offers are some of the best river curves in the country. Miles and miles of nearly perfect curves as you follow the Lochsa River. I've done this road quite a few times (and in both directions), and I will never grow bored with it. One of the best in the country.
  • ID-21 between Stanley and Idaho City. The section between Lowman and Idaho City has some of the more challenging mountain riding you'll ever want. Towards Stanley, the road less challenging, but just try riding without staring at the Sawtooth Range.
  • County Road between Loman and Garden Valley. This is a short section, but the ride in the Payette river canyon is worth the effort.
  • US-26, ID-31 between Idaho Falls and Jackson. Towards Idaho Falls you're following the Snake River, and on ID-31 you're climbing up over the Snake River Range. Lovely.
  • US-30 between Soda Springs and Montpelier. This follows the Bear River between two lower mountain ranges. No real turns or anything that requires your concentration, but it is a peaceful ride.
  • ID-75 between Stanley and Sun Valley. Spectacular views of the Sawtooth Mountains and a fairly challenging summit, as well.
  • US-30 between Burley and Bliss. No, this isn't really a great motorcycle road, but it is so vastly better than running I-84 that you'd be foolish not to take it, instead. In any event, this is the route of the Oregon Trail, so there are plenty of interesting things to see along this road.
That ought to get you close to home.. Got plenty of time??
Chuck in Indiana

Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana

From one of my motorcycle buddies when I was planning a trip out west:That ought to get you close to home.. Got plenty of time??
Chuck in Indiana
awesome - thanks!

now i just need to find all that stuff on the map...

Old 03-29-2006, 06:01 PM
pgifford
3rd Gear
awesome - thanks!

now i just need to find all that stuff on the map...
Get a Garmin i3. It's nice and small and sits beautifully in the front left corner of the dash (attached to the bottom of the windshield). You can route the power cord through the side of the little storage area under the climate controls, under the dash (above your legs), and up the side of the dash between the dash and the door. I used a little velcro to ensure the cord stays under the dash and still allow me to take the unit out and put it in the family truckster if needed.

It's a great unit...I have nothing bad to say about it. Never get lost again

Nice car btw!

Paul

Old 04-18-2006, 05:27 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Going into detail...

So i'm planning out the detailed route I'd like to take.. and I'm wondering about specific side/back roads getting out of chicago and heading west.

The easiest thing i can do is hop on 94/90 and head west, but i'd rather get some varied driving in for best break-in procedure.

Any specific roads/destinations i should build in to my route between Chicago and Mount Rushmore?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2006, 05:37 PM
C4
Banned
So i'm planning out the detailed route I'd like to take.. and I'm wondering about specific side/back roads getting out of chicago and heading west.

The easiest thing i can do is hop on 94/90 and head west, but i'd rather get some varied driving in for best break-in procedure.

Any specific roads/destinations i should build in to my route between Chicago and Mount Rushmore?

Thanks!

You know who would be a good person to ask... Gabe, the founder of www.motoringfile.com He posts here in NAM (Look him up and send him a PM).

Gabe did a similar roadtrip back in 2002 with his first MINI from Chicago I believe all the way to Denver (Obviously much closer than Seattle) but I believe he followed a route similar to the one you planning to have. He may give you some routes, tipsa, etc

Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Thanks!

Old 05-22-2006, 04:07 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
"X" marks the spot

Thanks to EVERYBODY for all your great suggestions, tips, and help!

For those interested, here's my trip all laid out on yahoo maps beta:

http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/#maxp=loc....305803&mag=13

WARNING: This link opens a pretty processor-intensive map as yahoo calculates the whole trip on the fly...

I'm thinking about blogging the trip, and if I do, I'll post an URL before I leave.

I fly out this Wednesday (th 24th)

Can't wait... :impatient

p.s. if anyone has suggestions/changes/comments or wants to meet me somewhere along the way, let me know!

Old 05-22-2006, 04:13 PM
C4
Banned
Nice route. Wish you happy travels and a safe return home.

Can't wait to see your pics.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:00 PM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This looks like a great route. We went the opposite direction last year and covered a lot of the same territory. If you have time I would VERY STRONGLY recommend Yellowstone (the whole loop) and Grand Tetons. Jackson Hole is a nice place to spend a night....unless you've already seen those two places. The other recommendation is to visit Badlands...although you can see part of this from the highway as you're driving past.

Have a great time. Looking forward to a post-trip report.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
I'd have to recommend a GPS.
Looks like it's gonna be a blast, motor on.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:24 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
I-90 will take you all the way to seattle. BTW, That is a GREAT way to get over the break in! It'll be over before ya know it!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Planning my cross-country trip...