R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 should i buy a mini?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 06:54 AM
mitchx
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am really interested in buying a mini, currently have a subaru outback, am concerned about reliability of the mini though, i drive about 90 miles a day for work, never had a problem with my subaru, am opting for the automatic transmission since i sit in traffic or construction often...any comments would be appreciated!mscott@invent.org

Old 07-17-2002, 07:29 AM
cs5887
2nd Gear
I would opt to buy the honda civic v-tec - automatic or honda civic dx. these two cars give you the best gas mileage!! I have a honda civic 95' dx coupe 145,000 miles. I'm purchasing a mini s because i'm not travelling a long distance to work. I was comuting on the turnpike/parkway/to nyc or north jersey when i lived in south jersey. Fortunately, I've moved closer to where I work and the commuting time is cut in half.

Old 07-17-2002, 09:14 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
Thats a silly question... Ofcourse you should buy a Mini, duh!

Old 07-17-2002, 10:42 AM
opal
1st Gear
One thing that isn't exactly advertised by MINI is that these cars require premium-grade gas. Another thing to consider when pondering a MINI as a commuter car.

Old 07-17-2002, 10:48 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>One thing that isn't exactly advertised by MINI is that these cars require premium-grade gas. Another thing to consider when pondering a MINI as a commuter car.

What's the big deal with premium-grade gas? Especially if you get it on "sale" days, how much more does it cost? Maybe a buck fifty more a tankful? I already put premium gas in all of my cars. Always have.

Old 07-17-2002, 11:03 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
No. DO NOT GET A MINI.
You may have fun on the way to work and miss the turn to the parking lot.

Old 07-17-2002, 11:22 AM
bagpiper
2nd Gear
NOPE.. wouldn't buy a MINI to drive to work.... heck, it would be WAY TOO MUCH fun to drive to work.. you may even enjoy the commute and put a lot of smiles on your face and all the other commuters who would just envy the car you are driving... people would feel GOOD about going to work and we would hate to see people LOVE their jobs.. we wouldn't be able to call it work then.. AND the drive home... oh boy who knows what would happen ..

Old 07-17-2002, 11:25 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
GOD FORBID YOU ENJOY WHAT YOU DO, ALONG WITH YOUR COMMUTE!

Old 07-17-2002, 11:45 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
>>No. DO NOT GET A MINI.
>>You may have fun on the way to work and miss the turn to the parking lot.

The truth I will be replacing a Honda Accord that is a little long in the tooth with a Cooper. The post that mentions the cost of gas. It depends on what you are paying for gas now. I will have to pay more per gal but this car should get more miles per gal. - as long as I can keep my foot out of it anyway. A 90 mi commute - that is a long way on any car that has only been out one year. My round trip commute is less than 30 mi. There has not been that many postings about problems that would knock you out. The trans linkage is the biggest problem, and that has been addressed by the factory.

But rumor has it several Mini owners have had trouble making it into the office...
They said that the car would not stop. One said that his car would not go into the city. Another said after pulling into the parking space that the door would not open until she found an empty parking level and did several figure eights. Be forewarned. These cars have a strong will...

Good luck, hope you get one.

Old 07-17-2002, 12:48 PM
smurf
3rd Gear
YES, think of all the people you will make smile on your way to work. Think of it as a public service.

Old 07-17-2002, 12:55 PM
carmaxman
Neutral
I think 90 miles a day is a lot of time in a very small car. You should look into buying a Toyota Prius. The best hybrid vehicle on the market. Roughly 45 mpg on the highway on regular gas. Way more reliable than a Subaru (better resale value too). Some states waive tax and even let you ride in the HOV lanes by your self. Check it out.

Old 07-17-2002, 04:38 PM
MiNi
1st Gear
OK if you want a car that gets great gas mileage get a VW diesel... I have a Newbeetle diesel and I average about 47 mpg... it's great!!!.. I do like the MINI though... If the diesel MINI makes it to the U.S i'm going to get one...(man I hope it comes). well the MINI is much smaller then the car that you have.... and Im sure that if you get a 115 hp new MINI that it will get better gas mileage then the Subru.
so go for the mini get into the groove :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 07-18-2002, 09:12 PM
blu02
1st Gear
The question shouldn't be "should I buy a mini..." rather, you should ask yourself, "What kind of person am I? Do I like children waiving at me in public? Do I like complete strangers saying 'Nice car!' every where I go? Do I want to be stopped on my way into the Quickie Mart by someone who wants to know how much I like my car? Would it bother me if I went to a party and my car became more important to the other guests than the event being celebrated? Do questions like 'Dude, is that car fast?', 'Dude, is that thing electric?', or 'Dude, can I have a test drive?' bother you? Why do so many questions start with 'Dude?'"

If you are able to cope with these kinds of moral dilemas on a daily basis, you are indeed ready for a Mini.

Old 07-23-2002, 10:36 AM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
Should you buy a MINI? YES. It is a JOY to drive and I've had the opportunity to drive just about everything. It's fast enough, handles great and gets more looks than a Ferrari. As one other post indicated, you just need to be prepared for total strangers asking for a test drive, smiling and waiving, asking what it is, etc. etc. etc. The only other car I'd rather have is a 289 or 427 AC Cobra and there's no chance of that. Being a new car, there is a bit of a hassle finding one and there are a few bugs here and there but, well worth it. I'm waiting for the lease on my X5 to be up so I can get an "S" and give my kids my Cooper. Somehow though, I'm afraid they'll end up with the "S". Anywho what are you waiting for? Get Motoring.........

Old 07-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Wandersen
1st Gear
Why not give it a try ? (for all the reasons mentioned above, plus this one ...)

Reason # 322 - It's not as if you would be taking a financial risk. If you don't like it, you can sell it for more than you paid for it !

Keep it waxed, and change the oil !

Old 07-23-2002, 11:58 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
I say, if after test driving a MINI, you don't have a big S-Eating grin on your face, and you are not 100% convinced that you want a MINI, maybe she isn't the car for you...

Rocketboy X

Old 07-23-2002, 12:05 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
It didn't even have to test drive it before I had the big S-eating grin on my face.....I only had to look at it. After driving it I nearly fainted.....

<-------- L.Mini's big S-eating grin.....

Old 07-23-2002, 12:09 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
>>It didn't even have to test drive it before I had the big S-eating grin on my face.....I only had to look at it. After driving it I nearly fainted.....
>>
>> <-------- L.Mini's big S-eating grin.....

I have to agree with L.Mini here..... It didn't take much for me either.
I think I actually had an S-eating Grin before I ever made it to the dealer.
SW

Old 07-23-2002, 12:31 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Oh Sfiveten....I know what you mean.....I first saw one because at the very beginning of this year my boyfriend said "Go to this website.....I saw a car that's perfect for you......" I went to the website. And the rest is history.....

Old 07-23-2002, 12:45 PM
sirron
5th Gear
Keep the Outback! The Mini is too sweet ( Cal. meaning) to leave in a parking lot all day.

Old 07-23-2002, 07:26 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>>>It didn't even have to test drive it before I had the big S-eating grin on my face.....I only had to look at it. After driving it I nearly fainted.....
>>>>
>>
>>I have to agree with L.Mini here..... It didn't take much for me either.
>>I think I actually had an S-eating Grin before I ever made it to the dealer.
>>SW

I have to agree. I first went to the dealer not knowing if this was the car for me. After hearing about it for a few weeks and trying different combos on the MINIUSA site, I finally went in for a test drive. I said either this will be the car for me or it won't and I'll know it when I drive it. The fact that it was so different and small gave me doubts. But once my son and I sat in it while we were waiting for the dealer to photocopy my license, I fell in love. Right there, sitting in the parking lot - it was all over. Right then and there I said, "I love this car". And once I took off, it only got better...

Old 07-24-2002, 05:11 AM
JimC
Neutral
A couple of people have suggested a Civic or a Prius. We have a Civic EX sedan in addition to our MINI, and the Civic's seats are HORRIBLE. Not only that, but I find it impossible to get into a comfortable driving position, and I'm only 5'8"! My knees hit the steering column, and the **** to raise and lower the seat does not work at all--it keeps winding itself back down. Then there's the lousy suspension, road noise, and the lame stereo... A base $12,000 Civic might be OK, but at $17,000 MSRP, the EX is a rip-off.

The MINI, on the other hand, has very supportive seats, and is quite comfortable for long drives. I'm letting my wife use it for commuting (1 and 1/2 hrs each way), since I only have a 15 minute drive to work. As long as I get to drive the MINI on the weekends.

Old 07-24-2002, 09:31 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>>>It didn't even have to test drive it before I had the big S-eating grin on my face.....I only had to look at it. After driving it I nearly fainted.....
>>>>
>>>> <-------- L.Mini's big S-eating grin.....
>>
>>
>>I have to agree with L.Mini here..... It didn't take much for me either.
>>I think I actually had an S-eating Grin before I ever made it to the dealer.
>>SW

Actually, when I jokingly clicked on the MINI link from Yahoo's list of car makers when I was looking for a new car (I was probally going to buy a WRX), and saw A: Yes, they do have a new MINI, and Yes, it's in the states (I'm not much of a 'car guy', so I didn't know these things), and Yes, it's out now, and B: It only costs HOW MUCH? I already had an S-Eating grin... Of course, convincing the wife to let me buy a MINI was hard, untill she saw one... :>

Rocketboy_X

Old 07-24-2002, 11:15 AM
minimojo
2nd Gear
I was looking at several cars including the Passat and the WRX. I really wasn't gung-ho about any of the cars I looked at. Then I saw the MINI. That was all she wrote. Then I went to the dealership. When I sat in that car... SOLD

Old 07-29-2002, 06:14 PM
ochichernie
1st Gear
I have my MINI now and all I have to say is, I have NEVER had a car like this! It is a JOY to drive and they are all correct--your biggest problem may be bringing it to a stop in the parking lot rather than just keeping going because it's so great to drive. Turns are no problem, and hills that my old car used to groan at, my MINI doesn't even realize they exist! It can change lanes on the highway effortlessly. When you step on the gas, it GOES. You can feel the G's against your back. There is more to a car than just mileage. However, if mileage is the bottom line for you, better get the Honda hybrid. In my first 500 miles, I got 200 miles on a half a tank of gas, which I thought was great. But of course, it's better on the highway than in the city. Good luck! (You wouldn't be sorry if you got a MINI!)

Quick Reply: R50/53 should i buy a mini?