R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Are your passengers breaking your door release?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 03:53 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are your passengers breaking your door release?

Is anyone else as annoyed as I am with the internal door handle mechanism? Twice now I've had passengers pull to get out, and before I can shout "Pull Twice!" they yank on the handle hard enough to dislocate the cable. The first time I though it was broken, but I opened up the door panel (noticably scratching the door handle trying to get off the 05 arm rest ) and was able to clip the cable back into its holder. I hoped it would be ok, but it happened again this weekend and I guess I'm going to have to have the dealer look at it as the clip inside isn't holding well.

I know the car can be programmed to unlock when the ignition is turned off, but 99% of the time the passenger has already tried to get out by the time the key is turned (especially when dropping someone off) or by the time I can reach the unlock toggle.

No one knows if there's a way to get the door to unlock and open when the handle is pulled, do they? Like every other car I've owned?

I'll leave it at the dealer for a day to get fixed, but it's just going to happen again.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:55 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supergimp

No one knows if there's a way to get the door to unlock and open when the handle is pulled, do they? Like every other car I've owned?
Its just a programmable feature. When you go back for service, have to change it to one pull.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
Its just a programmable feature. When you go back for service, have to change it to one pull.
In other words, de-select the [font=Arial]Automatic lock after starting (after 10 mph)[/font] feature.

Of course, you could also require a 10 minute briefing before allowing a new passenger to ride.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:07 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
Thanks, I was aware that the automatic lock feature can be defeated, but if the door is locked, then two pulls will be necessary, correct?

Old 10-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
"MINI Owners Tug Twice." Should be a bumper sticker.

I instictively say, "Tug Twice" anytime a passenger even remotely reaches towards the door pull. It's become such a habit, some of my regular passengers preimptively say, "I know...tug twice..."

Even once they're trained, I still find myself alerting them.

Also, you can unlock the doors with the toggle switch. If you like, you can unlock the doors on the approach when you're dropping off a passenger. That way, one tug will do.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:18 PM
TrippleBeem
3rd Gear
OH MY GOD! I've only had my mini for 3 weeks and this is the only thing that bothers me about it. I like the fact that my Mini has the pull-twice feature that comes in most expensive BMW's, at least at first i liked it... Now it is automatic to tell people before they try to pull all HARD on the door release....

Oh well, the Price we pay!

Ryan

Old 10-31-2005, 04:25 PM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
It's a really simple thing to train yourself to do. It doesn't even mean a drive to the dealership. Simply lift your lock toggle as you're parking. It unlocks the door and gives your passenger the one tug opening they're used to.

(I figured this one out, because my mom never listens!:impatient)

Old 10-31-2005, 04:34 PM
btal40
2nd Gear
yeah sometimes i forget to tell them to pull it twice, but i usually realize in time, and get a laugh out of watching first timers search for the handle saying, where is it?

Old 10-31-2005, 04:43 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by supergimp
Thanks, I was aware that the automatic lock feature can be defeated, but if the door is locked, then two pulls will be necessary, correct?
Yep. You could disable the lock on the passenger door, but other than that, it's passenger training, or a note on the dash that says "HEY YOU! YES YOU! PULL TWICE to exit (unless we've crashed and the car has automatically unlocked.)"

Old 10-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Best advice that I could give is to have the dealer de-program the auto-lock function. Most annoying thing that I ever encountered.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
You could get the programming to resolve this one of two ways:

1. Disable the auto-lock after take off altogether.

2. Enable the unlock after ignition is turned off.

On the first MINI I chose #1. This time I chose #2 and am happy with it - I still have to pull twice (or remind a passenger) anytime I (or someone else) get out without me turning the car off - but that is a pretty small percent of the time.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:57 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Is the handle really that fragile? Or are you giving rides to cavemen? :smile:

I've had people pull rather hard on the handle, but never was it to the point where I was worried the thing might snap off. Perhaps I should be a bit more careful.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:10 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by btal40
yeah sometimes i forget to tell them to pull it twice, but i usually realize in time, and get a laugh out of watching first timers search for the handle saying, where is it?
Yea, I laughed until two different passengers broke the door. I'd hit the unlock toggle, but I drive with hand controls and usually have one hand on the gas/brake and one on the wheel. Sometimes hard to get there quick enough if I am pulling up to a curb.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Disco
1st Gear
I don't have that problem since auto-lock is disabled on my MCS.

However, I got bothered a lot when people open/close the door by pulling/pushing the windows instead of the handle. Girls are ok but when guys do that, it looks like they are gonna yank the glass out.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:45 PM
eVal
6th Gear
It is frustrating - I've lived with it for years in the BMWs too and it drives me crazy when people grab and pull the handle hard even when I warn them about the double pull. Some people are just ham fisted though, they slam the door using the window as the handle, and just aren't generally careful - I have a feeling they'd pull just as hard as w/o the double pull thing. Mentioning the double pull first has helped for the most part though, and so far no broken latches (crosses fingers). I do not want to disable the auto locking since I prefer to have the car locked when I'm in it so that is not an option (aside from carjacking, which I am not horribly worried about, people can just be crazy and I wouldn't want anyone grabbing the door and opening it for theft of something on the seat or any other reason or looney road rage thing).

Old 10-31-2005, 06:00 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
I have automatic unlock so I shut off at the stop before they can open the door. Saves my voice and $$$

Paul

Old 10-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Risu
6th Gear
Actually just had this into the dealer to be fixed for. Passenger cable came off once, fixed it myself. Came off again and there was no way the clip was going to hold it again. Took it to the dealer, got it fixed in an hour, and they cured my paranoia by commenting that it was a known problems with the '05s and that they put a stopper on it so it won't come off again.

Still going strong after the dealer visit. :smile:

Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Of course, you could also require a 10 minute briefing before allowing a new passenger to ride.
Uh, that should be mandatory anyway!

Old 10-31-2005, 08:23 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
That is one thing, and lately I get obssesed with people getting out of the car without stepping on the door sills, I just got my aero kit put on 2 weeks ago and the top part of side skirts are hyper blue, I hate to see people stepping on the paint, so keep warning people before they get in and before they get out. It came to a point, my wife hates to get into my car .

Old 11-01-2005, 04:45 AM
Tarzan
5th Gear
I hear you on that one! I actually have quite a long run-down (longer version for teenagers and younger riders, shorter list for car enthusiasts or other MINI owners):

The number one rule: "Respect a man's vehicle."
Tug Twice.
Step over the door sills.
Don't kick the lower door getting out.
Don't kick the downtubes (or just "keep your feet on the mat").
Don't handle the glass.
Watch out: Door swings open VERY wide...
Hold onto the door as you open it.
Careful of rings gouging the door cups when opening from the outside.

I generally give a quick inspection without letting them know--looking for keys clipped to belt-loops, studded clothing, pens/pencils sticking out of pockets that could puncture seats...paint, ink, or mud...

When carrying their gear like bookbags, guitar cases, etc. I always get out and have them hand it over for me to place in the car rather than let them stuff their own gear in.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:03 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
The easy way is to let only one other person ride in your car...your significant other!!!!

Old 11-01-2005, 07:12 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
that's funny. i never thought about what everyone else says to their passengers when it's time to get out.

i've gotten into the habit of saying pull twice. before i come to a complete stop, i say pull twice... even to people that ride with me alot, cause chances are they've forgotten.

it's refreshing when i take out a fellow mini owner that already knows i often forget they know what it's like and still say pull twice though... but it is frustrating when people try to yank it off because it wont open.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:42 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live with the whole pull "twice thing", too, but I've never had any damage to the release mechanism. They must be really wailing on that thing!!!

I do agree that, coming from another vehicle, it is worth taking some time to learn a few new practices/procedures that may be unique to MINIs. After all, you have to be assimilated.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:06 AM
jdmarino
4th Gear
This is one I'm careful with

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Watch out: Door swings open VERY wide...
Hold onto the door as you open it.
I always worry about that. In my garage... In the parking lot...

It's a small car but MAN, those doors fill any space around it.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:24 AM
kalbone
5th Gear
i too hate it when ppl pull too hard on the door handle and then when they do get out of the car they slam the door. that's why i took out the front passenger and rear seats and installed a roll bar. now no one can ride in my car.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Are your passengers breaking your door release?