R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 AM
HPzie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini trailer hitch

NewB here ....... Just got my 06 MCS and looking to find a hitch that will give my MCS a clean look and to alow me to two my 3 minimoto bikes ( see pictures attach ). Any info on where to get one ????? Thank you

P.S I seen a thread on here about the hitch " sport link " but none of the link work

Attached Thumbnails Mini trailer hitch-rr_rr3.jpg  
Old 10-31-2005, 07:21 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
Give the thejunkman2@msn.com a holler. He has one. You have to do a little work but it might just be what you want.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:27 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
The "sport link" one is called the "Tow Link", but unfortunately the company that makes them (MINI Fini) has gone out of business.

See this thread.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Shazam's white lightning
3rd Gear
Nice scooters!

Old 10-31-2005, 08:08 AM
anteken
4th Gear
Check around and maybe you can still find a sport link or tow link that is left over. Other than that, you can try buying a pickup

Old 10-31-2005, 08:39 AM
fred3
4th Gear
Are those the scooters...

that just about every sane city, town, municipality in the U.S. of A. is banning? Try a motorcycle hitch for the small motorcycle trailers.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:57 AM
conehgr
Neutral
hitch

well, I just installed one on my mc. but it doesnt fit the mcs due to exhaust location. www.hitchesonline.com made my da'lan for $205

Old 11-03-2005, 11:28 AM
HPzie
2nd Gear
LOL ...... Just trade in the darn 04 Nissan truck for this MCS, well worth it though. I am already got a hitch draw up and should be ready in maybe 4 to 5 weeks . I will post some pictures as soon as I get it made and install.

Originally Posted by anteken
Check around and maybe you can still find a sport link or tow link that is left over. Other than that, you can try buying a pickup

Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 PM
HPzie
2nd Gear
Sorry ...but they are not scooter .... Scooter is what my kids ride on the side walk, these machine are call "Minimoto" build by the Italian and can go up to 60mph ( strictly for racing on the track )

Thanks for the props though :smile:

Originally Posted by Shazam's white lightning
Nice scooters!
Yup .... They ban them because so many of the chinese copy been sold in the US and kids and adults are riding them on the street .

Originally Posted by fred3
that just about every sane city, town, municipality in the U.S. of A. is banning? Try a motorcycle hitch for the small motorcycle trailers.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 PM
loco engineer
1st Gear
I just made my own this weekend. It cost me about $20 for materials and took about a day. It was well worth the effort though, as mine is basically hidden until I use it. Here is the link to the pattern/idea I copied. http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trailer_hitch/ Good luck, Bill

Old 11-03-2005, 02:30 PM
HPzie
2nd Gear
Bill
Any pictures of your ? I know you said is a copy of John .... but I just want to see if you did make any change and what will you be towing ?

Thank you

Old 11-03-2005, 08:07 PM
loco engineer
1st Gear
I'll try and take some but it won't be until Monday or Tuesday. Bill

Old 11-04-2005, 05:53 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
I wish someone would make one for an S that didn't involve cutting into my car!!!!

Old 11-04-2005, 09:46 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
A member on Mini2 made a new tow hitch that hides behind the black plastic cover (where the factory rear fog light would be on UK models). From the pictures it looks pretty good and TOTALLY hidden when the link isn't put on it. If anyone wants pictures, e-mail me at dennisnyholm@hotmail.com and I can forward you the information on them. He is charging $290 for the powdercoated hitch and another $50 if you need the drop link with a ball on it. He said he has 4 completed as of now and is taking orders. Let em know if you need it!!

Old 11-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
hitch and cutting

Originally Posted by fsuscotsman
I wish someone would make one for an S that didn't involve cutting into my car!!!!
The only thing you cut on an S with the factory body, is the two cheap plastic fake grills, which you can replace in Stainless, or buy OEM from your dealer.

John

Old 11-04-2005, 12:09 PM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
I guess that wouldn't be too bad but I would like to hide the holes when the receiver isn't on. I probably wouldn't be towing but three to four times a year.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Jdewey
4th Gear
hiding the trailer hitch holes

The Krash Karl hitch removes all visible parts with just two bolts, and no car cutting is required. I do not know if you have to drill any holes to mount Karls current version, you should give him a call.

I have not tried, but you MIGHT be able to recess the couplers far enugh to get the grills back on.

They snap in place from behind the facia. To get them on and off you would bend the heat shield enough to get your hands inside to release the catches.

Just leave them out when in use.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Here's some pics of that hitch that is being made (from my post above):

Attached Thumbnails Mini trailer hitch-receiver-close-upsmall.jpg   Mini trailer hitch-with-ball-2small.jpg   Mini trailer hitch-with-coversmall.jpg  
Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
receiver hitch

Looks nice!

How do you get the hitch pin in? Has a portion of the heat sheild been removed to get access ??

John

Old 11-08-2005, 08:08 AM
CSAMF
3rd Gear
DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!!! I wish I would have seen this style of hitch a month ago, before I spent close to a $1000 for the sport link, bike rack, and tow hitch. Took me 8hrs to install and now it looks like I have two more exhaust tips sticking out my bumper.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:51 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jdewey
Looks nice!

How do you get the hitch pin in? Has a portion of the heat sheild been removed to get access ??

John
Same question I asked him. He said that the car needs to be cool or you will burn your hand on the exhaust. He said it can be done when it was hot, just not too easy. As far as I know, the heat shield needs to be bent or cut out of the way to install this hitch.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by CSAMF
DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!!! I wish I would have seen this style of hitch a month ago, before I spent close to a $1000 for the sport link, bike rack, and tow hitch. Took me 8hrs to install and now it looks like I have two more exhaust tips sticking out my bumper.
Aww come on man, they're cool... just say they are the oil slick nozzles.

Seriously, it would be cool to have little stickers (legible though) to put on the back, pointing to them and calling them that hehe.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
This pic:

is my wife's car.

I ordered that Hayman Reese from OZ a couple years ago. It won't work on a Cooper as it interferes with the spare, or the S cuz of the exhaust. Of course you could lose the spare on the Cooper, if you wish.

However, I just made one quite similar that exits from my '05 S' cover plug as a poster above did. It is easy to do. Just duplicate the plates & cross bar shown above. Use 1/4" plate and 2" Sq. tube (also 1/4" walled). In the center two pieces of 2" angle for the drop bracket work well to weld in your receiver. You don't need to drop the receiver tube very much to exit the bumper cover hole. For inexpensive receiver tubes -> http://www.etrailerpart.com/mywebs/m...28_1800886.htm

Made properly, it fits behind the aluminum impact beam. Just remove the foam block and stamped metal plate & replace with newly made items. Use the stamped metal plate to pattern the 1/4" plates and add a 3"-4" L to weld the crossmember to. The length of the 2" tube was 34 1/2" to fit under the impact beam.

You can also add the 1 1/4" angle into the channel under the floor if you wish as the Hayman has above. But as beefy as I made mine, its overkill. I have no trouble towing a 15' Boston Whaler & trailer.

BTW, this is also the general design of the European "factory" hitch..take a look at the towbar PDF & pics at http://www.motoringfile.com/diy/

The Hayman Reese is rated at 650kg trailer weight (1,430 lbs)and a 75kg (165 lbs) ball (tongue) weight.

You also need to make a provision for safety chains on the hitch. I don't see where that is possible on the other hidden receiver? For simplicity's sake, I left the receiver tube stick out of the cover far enough to insert the hitch pin from the outside. Its only maybe 3" and not too obtrusive visually, or in the way of your shins.... But, I use the hitch often with a boat, a small utility trailer or a cargo carrier. Maybe I'll post a photo tomorrow of it installed....

Old 11-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
here it is...(finallY)

Old 11-21-2005, 08:19 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
This looks sharp. I still haven't made up my mind if I really need this. The SO drives an SUV so I may not.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Mini trailer hitch