R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 If once was fun...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Flyinglemur
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If once was fun...

...I'm sure the second time was even better. Last week someone keyed from our driver's side door back and this past friday they finished the job going from just behind the headlights back now.

If you add into the frustration the fact that I speak very little Italian, I'm sure this week I will not have a good time when I go into the body shop.

This time we were parked under the streetlight right in front of our place. Now I am parked down in a little alcove where it is hopefully a little safer. Next weekend I will offer up the passenger side...but I will be waiting.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:12 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unbelievable. So sorry to see that! Good luck getting it back to pristine condition, and good luck catching the lowlifes who are doing it.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Flyinglemur
2nd Gear
I forgot to mention that since the first key happened I have found many many more folks here in La Madd who have had the same thing done...always to new BMWs and Coopers...apparently it is an anti-US sentiment since 95% of those cars are bought via Pentagon Auto here.

Oh, I hope it is an American though...that would be sweet.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Jeez, I'm sorry you got keyed, but I have to ask - Why would it be sweet if it was an american?

Old 10-30-2005, 10:34 AM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ran48
Jeez, I'm sorry you got keyed, but I have to ask - Why would it be sweet if it was an american?
This was my thought too............ MINIs know no national bounds do they?

Old 10-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Flyinglemur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ran48
If it is an Italian, there will more than likely be no justice done. However, if it is an American, then they are probably in the Navy (if it isn't a Navy Brat). If that is the case, then they pay for my car repairs...and they go to Cpatain's Mast where they will lose a rank, lose mony and be restricted to the ship.

THAT is why it would be sweet.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:57 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Oh my. That is a huge scratch.

Earlier this year my sister got me a place in Sicily, an area she adores. It's a tiny studio. I've not been there yet. I have been hoping the place would be companionable because everyone is on an island together. Maybe not if this sort of vandalism happens in sunny Sardegna.

I'm sorry this has happened to you (and to others with new cars there). It's inexcusable behavior anyplace and anytime. I recall reading about resentment of all foreigners in Sardegna, but that was over a generation ago when most folks there were poor and isolated. A lot has happened since then including prosperity in the EU and the Internet. Your comment about an American (or another visitor) might not be too far off.

Last edited by morknmini; 10-30-2005 at 10:59 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Thanks for the explanation. I understand.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:03 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
come back to the US.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Flyinglemur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by morknmini
I'm sorry this has happened to you (and to others with new cars there). It's inexcusable behavior anyplace and anytime. I recall reading about resentment of all foreigners in Sardegna, but that was over a generation ago when most folks there were poor and isolated. A lot has happened since then including prosperity in the EU and the Internet. Your comment about an American (or another visitor) might not be too far off.
Funny you should mention this. There is a LARGE anti-US sentiment here on the island, fueled by the Governor of Sardegna. He wants the US out of here so his company can develop more vacation property (seriously). Furthermore the Indendent Republic of Sardegna (IRS) has stepped up their anti-American rhetoric as well: a couple of weeks ago they detonated a pipe bomb near our security station and this weekend had a large demonstration (about 500 people).

The Italians aren't feeling the EU prosperity, either. According to the locals I talk to, they are going through the worst inflation ever. Basically if something cost 4 Mil Lira before, it changed to 4 Euro overnight. That is basically going from $1 to $7 for the SAME item. There is seriousl talk of Italy leaving the EU and going back to the Lira. I hope so...my dollar would go much farther.

Anyway none of this excuses what happened to our car. We are trying to learn the language, shop at the local stores to support the economy and I even started watching soccer (Forza Milan!). There are plenty of Americans that hate Italians here, but even after all of this, the wife and I still love it here.

I'm sure you will enjoy Sicily...where at?

Old 10-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Flyinglemur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
come back to the US.
Jul 07 we are there.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:01 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinglemur
Jul 07 we are there.
2 more years...dang, you won't have much paint left on your car
at this pace.

Hope you can find another place where you can park your car inside.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Flyinglemur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
Hope you can find another place where you can park your car inside.
Not an option here unfortunately.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:30 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So sorry to read about this. Good luck finding a good body shop and catching the perp!

Old 10-30-2005, 10:30 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Sorry about your MINI. If the keying incidents occur so frequently, I would be tempted to let the scratches be for now. Either that, or consider investing in a camera.

Maybe I'm trying to rationalize the irrational, but I really don't understand how someone thinks they are making a political statement by destroying an individual's property. Don't like American policies? OK, organize a protest. Boycott American goods. Fine. What's the sense in finding a nice car and damaging it?

Old 10-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Condolences on the key jobs. I don't know about you but I'd see about getting a motion sensor light, or something of the sort. Maybe rent-a-doberman? I'd be tempted to stake out the car and give a good ol' American ***-kicking to the perpetrator.
How about a car cover? At least it would deter the casual vandal...

Was in Italy in 2001, and they were dreading the conversion to the Euro - it would be interesting if they seriously went back to the Lire!

Old 10-31-2005, 12:11 AM
Flyinglemur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Was in Italy in 2001, and they were dreading the conversion to the Euro - it would be interesting if they seriously went back to the Lire!
I knew there was no way I spelled Lire right. Thanks

Old 10-31-2005, 01:00 AM
Xman
3rd Gear
Might be a dumb question, but do you have special plates (US Military) or just regular Italian ones?
If it's the former, it surely is an anti-american military statement, not anti-nice car.

While living in Europe, I had friends in the French Military based in Germany, their car had special military plates and always attracted problems from the locals and even the police!

Old 10-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Flyinglemur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Xman
Might be a dumb question, but do you have special plates (US Military) or just regular Italian ones?
If it's the former, it surely is an anti-american military statement, not anti-nice car.

While living in Europe, I had friends in the French Military based in Germany, their car had special military plates and always attracted problems from the locals and even the police!
Nope, they did away with those because of those problems...we have the regular Euro Style plates.

Again, I can't believe this is anti-American sentiment as the Buick is parked right in front of it if not very near it. And THAT definitely stands out as American.

Sigh...

Old 10-31-2005, 01:54 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Germany just decided to let us folks working here have local plates as well. So, starting in December we will be changing to non-US plates for better force protection. (yes, it is an issue)

Anti-American sentiment is everywhere and sometimes keeping cars and belongings nice can get a little rough. Parking in a different location might help, but more than likely it is someone that hates your shiney car. Sorry to hear about that...

Old 10-31-2005, 02:20 AM
Flyinglemur
2nd Gear
I just talked to someone that lives in my neighborhood who had their whole car keyed not too long ago (both sides, hood, trunk). He has video surveilance on his now...I will have to do the same I guess. His was a Rover that was about a year old...not quite as shiney as the Mini and not really an "American" car...leads me to believe that this is just one random local punk.

I hope they go for the passenger side once I get the video hooked up.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
Nothing changes. They hated us over there in the late seventies. Especially in France. The only places you feel welcome in Europe are Belgium, Holland and the UK. Time to come home.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:23 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fsuscotsman
Nothing changes. They hated us over there in the late seventies. Especially in France. The only places you feel welcome in Europe are Belgium, Holland and the UK. Time to come home.
Not really true as it used to be. There are a few of these types of people everywhere you go, but for the most part Germans love us. My neighbors are some of the best I have ever had. In fact, we just had a Thanksgiving type dinner for our block last night. Really great folks and we had lots of fun. :smile:

When I was stationed here in the late 80's there were more people that hated the US forces being here, but now it is just considered normal. As we start to draw down, many of them are feeling the crunch due to the loss of income. For the most part, we will be missed.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:18 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
Not to hijack the thread, but no wonder they like us now, the gravy train is ending. Of course I was generalizing, but.....

Old 10-31-2005, 07:27 AM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
my condolences friend... im sorry to hear about your car
good luck with repairs.... and do you have to pay for these incidents out of pocket?

Quick Reply: R50/53 If once was fun...