R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cordoba Beige Leather, is it worth the $$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Sirius
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cordoba Beige Leather, is it worth the $$$

I think it looks great from the photos I've seen. I'm just not sure that looks alone are worth $1300

Anyone here have it or have experience with it? What do you think?

Old 10-02-2005, 09:14 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Whatever you're into. It's mediocre-quality tan leather. I'd say go Leatherette and spend the $1300 on peformance mods.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
go for it

i love my cordoba beige interior-ordered it after seeing a friends new car, have never regretted it!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:36 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
id just go with the leatherette.

i had CB leather in my MCC loaner car, i hate it. you stick to it, its too soft to be comfortable, and it wasnt of the best quality. if i had toi order again, i would go cloth, but i have black leatherette right now, and i'm glad i never thought about buying the leather!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Tit
5th Gear
I've got it.

would I get it again?

No.

It has stretched and requires more cleaning than the other colours....my leather is 7 months old and looks about 5 years old.

It looks different, and nice...but as far as quality goes....it's not worth $1300....none of the mini options for leather are, in my opinion....

Old 10-02-2005, 10:16 AM
whovous
5th Gear
When I specced my MCS online, it included Cordoba Beige leather. When I saw it in person, not only did I dump the leather, I changed the whole color of my car as well.

I've seen places where it looks OK, but be warned that the color you see online is likely to be different from the color you see in person.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:33 AM
mini552
4th Gear
FWIW I originally spec'd my '06 Pepper White with the cordoba beige leather. I particularly liked the 2 tone effect with the black. After sitting in several cars with this and other leather, I couldn't justify the extra expense, as I literally had to stick my nose into the seats to smell the leather to really tell much difference between the leather and the leatherette. Each to his own, but what nailed it for me was the tan plastic in the boot - I know it's the same quality, etc., I just didn't like the look. Went with the gray leatherette option (really 2 tone black & gray).

Old 10-02-2005, 10:54 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say skip it and go for the leatherette.

There is a new $1600 leather, forget what it's called, that looks really good in the pictures.......but, no matter what the quality or look of the leather, that's too much money for me.

Old 10-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
I have an all Cosmos Black MINI w/ the Cordoba Beige interior. While it looks sharp, I don't know if I'll do it again. The tan plastics seem to look very dirty very quickly, and the seats really do require a lot of TLC to keep them looking like new. (BTW, does anyone know how to get brake dust out of leather?) And even then, the leather still doesn't look as 'taught' as it did new.

-Paul!

Old 10-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Call
4th Gear
I have a new 05 MCSC PS/B with the cordova soft leather. I can't speak for how well it wears or holds up because I have only had the car since 8-31-05. I loved it in the pictures and in person before I purchased it. I wanted a Cabrio with a different look especially when the top was down. I think it added that something I was looking for. To this point it has met all my expectations. Was it worth the money? In my opinion the car is not worth the money but I had to have it anyway. And, I would do it, again.

I have black leather in my other Mini, an 05 MCS JB/JB, purchased in April of this year. The leather does have some wear points already but I have had leather in all my cars. They have all shown wear points within the 1st year. You have to maintain all leather properly to get the most life out of it period.

Old 10-02-2005, 06:51 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by Call
You have to maintain all leather properly to get the most life out of it period.
Whereas Leatherette will likely survive a nuclear holocaust.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tit
I've got it. would I get it again? No.

It has stretched and requires more cleaning than the other colours....my leather is 7 months old and looks about 5 years old.
Agree. And mine is only 4 months old.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:23 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
My cordoba beige leather still looks great after 1 year. But it does require attention as all leather does. It does get dirty fairly quickly but then I'm driving a convertible It was well worth the extra money & looks great in my BRG Cabrio

Lois

Old 10-02-2005, 07:39 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Cordoba Beige does not go well with too many of the exterior colours.

Having said that, put it on a BRG car, and you have a very pretty combo.

I love my Cordoba Beige, but only because it compliments the green so very well. I also love how the doors are beige too. It's make it very different from the rest of the grey/black combos out there.

Speaking of interiors, its a shame that the took the red interiors away, because those were SWEEEEET.

One other good thing about Cordoba, it smells waaay better than all the other leather cars, and Cordoba Interior MINIs have a very nice new car smell to them.

I would get it.

btw... my leather is nearly 2 years old, and it still looks good as new. Thats because I make sure that my hands and *** are clean before I get into the car. :smile:

Old 10-02-2005, 08:22 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
interior

Sounds like we ordered almost the same thing. I just ordered an 06 MCS PW/B with cordoba beige,and all anthracite interior. I don't know about the quality issues since I don't have mine yet, but I did test drive the 3 different seating options, cloth, leatherette and leather. I live in GA, so it is still in the upper 80's around here. The cloth was fine, and I could be very happy with it. The leatherette was good too, but my husband didn't like the feel of it and it felt kind of stiff to me. The leather felt more comfortable to both of us, and it seemed like the best way to get a light colored seat, which is important around here! I think if MINI offered a cloth in a beige that would have been my first choice, but since they didn't I went with the leather.
My current car is a 2001 PT Cruiser with Leather and Suede interior, I'm sure it's not the highest quality in the world, but I have been careful with it and it still looks brand new. I plan on buying a set of seat covers for the MINI to use in the summer to help with heat issues. I will probably buy some wild print or color just for fun. This way I can get a "new" interior every now and then and extend the life of the seats.
Annette

Old 10-02-2005, 08:36 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Before they all sold out, I would say that 90%+ of the cars that had leather at D&R had Aftermarket (Katskins) leather. Only the occasional Cordoba Beige. Word directly from D&R is that the Aftermaket leather holds up better and is generally liked better than Genuine MINI leather.

If I could find a Katskins web page, I would consider something custom for MIB.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
Did I Mention

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my cb interior!!! looks/feels/smells great and works sooo well with the cr exterior. cars with black interiors are easier to take care of-thats why EVERYONE has them.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:53 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
well, seems alot of you like the rich feel of the leather.

personally, i like the rich feeling of the pure corinthian leather in my chrysler cordoba, much much better.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:01 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Zee plane!! Zee plane!!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:02 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Old 10-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Drsms22
5th Gear
For some colors like BRG it really looks nice.

I have the cordoba in my brg mcs. It looks very nice and has a British car historical look. I have no problems with it using a good leather perserver/cleaner. I had a tube of Harley Davidson leather treatment left over from when I had a bunch of motorcycles (pre big accident). Has kept well. I use a sun shade on the windshield and have 35% tint all around and tint on the roof. If I had to sacrifice something to get more car, though, it would be leather for leatherette. For example, I'd rather get rid of leather seats, automatic a/c, and automatic rain sensors, and get an 05 over an 04 mcs.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:36 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
My car is my "sports" car and when I grew up all sports cars (british) had leather. My car has leather.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:03 AM
IanF
6th Gear
We had a loaner MCC with CB leather. Does look nice. Although kinda strange in the loaner with CR interior panels... just too many colors going on in there...

Anyway, the MCS has LB leather. Looks very nice, but she takes meticulous care of it. And while our previous cars have had leather, it's unlikely we'd get MINI leather again. Especially after experiencing the leatherette, which I think feels much nicer.

Lastly, in a hard top, the CB leather package looks odd IMO unless you get the anthracite headliner option as well.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:22 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
If I could find a Katskins web page, I would consider something custom for MIB.
www.katzkin.com
I've seen a few katzkin leather conversions and they have always been very nice... that said, I've seen one that was poorly installed on a sentra se-r... I told the guy he would have been better off with the factory cloth!

I'm going with leatherette from the factory... but there is always that itch to add in something like the katzkins or something professionally installed with perforated leather, seat ventilation and a bit of suede to hold my butt in place.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Sirius
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the input. I think I'll stick with the leatherette. $1300 is a lot of money that I could invest in some other options or upgrades.

Thanks Again!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Cordoba Beige Leather, is it worth the $$$