R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Leatherette or Cloth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 04:04 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any experiences with either? Tears...quality...etc? I'm concerned about the leatherette getting to burning hot in the summer as I get in the car, or tearing on on of my dogs nails!!

Old 07-09-2002, 04:38 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The leatherette is very tough, so you shouldn't worry about your dog scrathcing, or ripping it... It also feels very much like real leather, although a tad bit harder. I bet it's even more durable than the cloth. However, just like with real leather, it's going to be really hot after sitting out in the sun for an extended amount of time... If this is a huge probelm for you, you should go with the cloth. Actually, you should drive to your dealer if possible, and check out both, so you can be sure it's what YOU want. :smile:

Old 07-09-2002, 11:06 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
I've heard from a car nut, that BMW's leatherette is VERY high quality, and actually just a shade or two below real leather (not to mention easier to care for). One thing you might think about is that if you're buying a regular cooper, unless i'm mistaken, if you buy the cloth, you also get color-matching door inserts. That's a plus, but then you have to worry about the stainability of cloth. Once again like most MINI decisions, there really is no one 'best' answer to this question...

Rocketboy_X

Old 07-10-2002, 01:34 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A few things I never really liked about leather in vehicles was the fact that after awhile it tears, cracks, wrinkles, very hot in summer, cold in winter. But it is easier to clean off than cloth if you happen to be one of those people who eat and drink in the car.
Actually thus far, the hardest interior seats to keep clean were in my '01 Lightning. Suade seats!! Freakin' nuts. Nobody drank, ate and came in if any dirt on themselves was present.
But anywho, I'd go with the cloth. But it is your MINI, so do whatever you like.
Cheers,

Old 07-10-2002, 05:41 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
Thats the great thing about the leatherette... it should never crack on it's own.. it's fully synthetic... You don't even have to spend much time oiling it!

Old 07-10-2002, 07:29 AM
smurf
3rd Gear
I have the Leatherette, but my experience is only since Jul 6.
It has not gotten too hot. The stick shift one day was too hot to touch, but the seats were fine. It has been around 90 degrees the last few days here in Connecticut.

Old 07-10-2002, 12:35 PM
C4
Banned
BMW's Leatherette is one of the highest quality upholstery materials in the industry. Most reviewers in the automotive press seem to prefer the cheaper and more durable Leatherette material over real cow hide. If you have to have the real thing, go for it. I personally think that the extra $1275 for leather seats are better spent elsewhere in the MINI or simply keep 'em in the bank.

I also like cloth seats. These tend to be less slippery/sticky specially during the summer months. They also provide better support too in the twisties. I am not familiar with the quality of the MINI's cloth seats. I ahve only seen the red cloth interior...it looks nice but it could be a bit much for some people.

Unfortunately in the MINI, if you want contrasting TAN/Beige interior door panels and seat upholstery you are forced to buy the leather Cordoba package. MINI should also offer the Beige color option in Leatherette as well.

We ordered our MINI with the standard black Leatherette seats and Silver Gray interior door panels, just to break out the monotony of an all black interior.

Finally, both leather and leatherette are easier to clean should you or one of your passengers happen to spill food inside. Rule of thumb...never eat or drink inside a car.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:40 PM
blu02
1st Gear
I have a minisucle crack on the top lf the left rear passengers seat, right neer the boot cover. I have an appointment with Mini Monday to have it looked at.

Indi-Blue 5spd w/Premium replaced 2000 Cherokee