R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What Color?!?!??!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 01:41 PM
laisterr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help!!!
I'm torn between choosing a black MINI Cooper S with white roof, mirrors, and bonnet stripes or a liquid yellow Cooper S with black roof, mirrors, and bonnet stripes.....Any suggestions????

Old 07-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
I think that the electric blue looks the best even though nobody seems to be getting it, followed by the red w/ white roof, and mirrors. If you've narrowed it down to those two choices, then i'd say go with the yellow! I can't imagine buying a black car for the months of summer! If i were buying the yellow though, i'd be sure to get a white roof, with white mirrors... It gives the car a cool touch!

Old 07-09-2002, 01:57 PM
caribayb
1st Gear
Maybe it's a regional/market thing with electric blue. Every S I've seen in Tampa is Electric Blue. Silver, Black and Red seem to be the most-seen Cooper colors. I ordered a silk green because I haven't seen one yet (and neither has the dealer). I wanted my car to be as distinct as possible. I think the silk green is classy, not as much of a cartoon-color.

caribayb

Old 07-09-2002, 02:01 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
See, i've seen 3 BRG's, yet only ONE electric blue cooper S... Maybe nobody up north likes the flashy color?

Old 07-09-2002, 11:09 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
Have you seen the pics of the Red with a Black roof? Pretty darn slick looking. But the Red/White vs. Yellow/Black was also something I was debating. Me likes the Red/White, but the wife likes Yellow/Black. What killed the Yellow color for me is the fact that there's too much white mixed in, it's too creamy of a color.

Rocketboy_X

Old 07-10-2002, 01:27 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
>>Have you seen the pics of the Red with a Black roof? Pretty darn slick looking. But the Red/White vs. Yellow/Black was also something I was debating. Me likes the Red/White, but the wife likes Yellow/Black. What killed the Yellow color for me is the fact that there's too much white mixed in, it's too creamy of a color.
>>
>>Rocketboy_X

I'm with Rocketboy on this one. The yellow is too baby-yellow, like baby-blue. Not rich enough for my liking. Even though black is hard to keep clean, and the constant battering of the sun on it, it would be a better choice than the yellow IMO. If you just narrowed it down to those. I've seen the Silk green, but again, it's too washed out looking. No offense to those who have any of those colors. Just my $0.02. My choices were actually of the 2 silvers, black, and Indi blue. I chose the dark silver. But the blue and black were pretty close behind. I'm thinking the Indi blue with white roof/mirrors/wheels and white bonnet stripes looks pretty schnazzy.

Old 07-10-2002, 03:54 AM
Verruckt
4th Gear
>>See, i've seen 3 BRG's, yet only ONE electric blue cooper S... Maybe nobody up north likes the flashy color?

Tollag: You've seen 3 BRG Cooper Ss?!? In the US!? I have only one bad auto show photo of the front end of one. I have one on order for November. Next time you see one, snap a photo if you can!

thx!

Old 07-10-2002, 05:44 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
DRIVE DOWN TO MAINE! I should be able to get a picture of the BRG cooper, because there is a guy with one who lives maybe 5 minutes away... I'll see what I can do.. Maybe when I take pics of mine, in the coming weeks!

Old 07-10-2002, 07:28 AM
smurf
3rd Gear
I have Red w/Black roof and it looks very cool and sporty.

Old 07-10-2002, 11:01 AM
Jlotz
Neutral
>>Need help!!!
>>I'm torn between choosing a black MINI Cooper S with white roof, mirrors, and bonnet stripes or a liquid yellow Cooper S with black roof, mirrors, and bonnet stripes.....Any suggestions????

I think the black with white is much nicer. I have seen both versions and the yellow is just a little too much. Kind of looks like a bumble bee. You can never lose with black.

Old 07-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
I'm goin with L.Yellow w/ white and a sun roof. Then i'm fixin to do the checkerstripe number around the parimeter. Paint the front grille black and all flaring around the botom will be yellow with Black #'s for autocross...

Old 07-10-2002, 12:11 PM
C4
Banned
If you happen to live in the Sunbelt states, try to stick with the lighter, cooler and easier to maintain colors: Pure/Dark Silver, Silk Green, Pepper White (My Choice), Electric Blue and maybe Liquid Yellow.

I personally think that the MINI's current color palette is terrific. However, for some reason I find that this car looks the least appealing in Black. Although the black finish is top notch, I find that black looks better in larger vehicles such as luxury sedans. I don't see it fitting too well with the MINI, but that is just my own humble opinion. I don't mind black roof and mirrors when used in combination with different colors. Juts to my eye an all Black MINI looks kinda ridiculous...but again no pun intended.

Black and most other darker shades are better suited for colder climates. Dark cars tend to absorb a lot of heat in the summer months making their interiors extremely hot. Also dark paints are a pain to keep clean, scratches, dings, etc are far more noticeable but I must admit a well kept Black, BRG or Indy Blue MINI is a looker!

Other nice colors are Indy Blue, Chili Red (Calls too much attention upon the car), Velvet Red, BRG, etc.

Has anyone bought a new MINI with roof and body in one single color?

Old 07-10-2002, 04:51 PM
Joel
1st Gear
ey from what it sounds like here nobodys going for the silk green. WHich COuld be a good thing, Dealer said everyone and their mother was getting BRG or Blue and she thought Silk Green/Black looked the best after pepperwhite. was wondering whao was getting Silk Green

Old 07-10-2002, 05:07 PM
MajerlenBean
1st Gear
I prefer the yellow w/white for the S. It seems everyone is getting EB or DS, so I thought I would be a little different.

Old 07-10-2002, 06:09 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
I must say though, the Electric blue is GORGEOUS! The way it shimmers in the sunlight, it brings tears to my eyes!

Old 07-10-2002, 06:58 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with Cooper4us, the Pepper White was my first choice before I was even considering buying one and before I saw it in person. To me the contrast between the roof and the body is what makes the styling work, and you can't get more contrast than black and white ! I have seen silver and silk green with the top the body color and it is a whole different look, I think it makes the car look taller and not as sporty, IMHO.

Old 07-11-2002, 10:26 PM
Annabelle
Neutral
>>ey from what it sounds like here nobodys going for the silk green. WHich COuld be a good thing, Dealer said everyone and their mother was getting BRG or Blue and she thought Silk Green/Black looked the best after pepperwhite. was wondering whao was getting Silk Green

I'd love to get the silk green but I can't order until October, so it'll be a 2003 model and silk green won't be offered anymore :???: (so I hear)

I saw one at the dealer and it was really nice but somebody had already put a deposit down on it--at least I have a picture!

Old 07-12-2002, 05:41 AM
Chrystee
1st Gear
>>Need help!!!
>>I'm torn between choosing a black MINI Cooper S with white roof, mirrors, and bonnet stripes or a liquid yellow Cooper S with black roof, mirrors, and bonnet stripes.....Any suggestions????

Well if it is just color preference, then I cant help, but have you ever had a black car? I have a black car, and I hate it. I will never buy a black car ever again.. The scratch factor is just too big for me. Every little thing makes a ugly scratch on a black car..

However some people love black cars.. for some reason..

Old 07-12-2002, 05:48 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
I have to agree, I have a midnight blue Miata right now and every little scratch shows up HUGE. I don't think I will get a dark colored car again.

Old 07-12-2002, 06:03 AM
Storer
5th Gear
Am I going to be the only one with an Indie Blue? I've only seen one on the road, and there are only 1 or 2 pics in the gallery. I'm not feeling the yellow, looks to Bettle-ish.

Old 07-12-2002, 06:17 AM
lhowlett
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-12-2002, 06:23 AM
lhowlett
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>Maybe it's a regional/market thing with electric blue. Every S I've seen in Tampa is Electric Blue. Silver, Black and Red seem to be the most-seen Cooper colors. I ordered a silk green because I haven't seen one yet (and neither has the dealer). I wanted my car to be as distinct as possible. I think the silk green is classy, not as much of a cartoon-color.
>>
>>caribayb

This is my second posting of this message -
I forgot to add the posting I was responding to:

I'm in Tampa, too. Did you order your Mini
from Ferman in Palm Harbor? That's where I
took my test drive but I don't like their
$2500 mark-up

Wanna Pepper White Cooper!

Old 07-12-2002, 06:24 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
I say go with the yellow....I saw a guy on the road the other day in a black Cooper and it was FILTHY (I could not believe he let that happen to that beautiful car). Black is so hard to keep clean....and yellow is a more fun color in my personal opinion.

Old 07-12-2002, 06:26 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
The dealership near my house has like a fleet of Electic Blue Cooper S's around the side of the building....I guess it's a good seller here!

Old 07-12-2002, 07:49 AM
seemunkee
2nd Gear
>>>>See, i've seen 3 BRG's, yet only ONE electric blue cooper S... Maybe nobody up north likes the flashy color?
>>
>>Tollag: You've seen 3 BRG Cooper Ss?!? In the US!?

BRG on the is is not available yet, although it is available on the Cooper. They will be available for September builds.

I have thought about BRG/black, Black/White, and Yellow/Black. Finally changed my order to Yellow/Black. Last night I saw a couple of Coopers w/o Bonnet stripes in that combo and I think they looked good but were missing something.

Quick Reply: R50/53 What Color?!?!??!