R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Quality Control Mini Cooper S; Where is it???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 06:37 AM
dlr218
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality Control Mini Cooper S; Where is it???

Yes I am a Newbie and yes I am a Perfectionist. I have had other BMW products and want to know what peoples thoughts are on BMW's quality control with regards to a new product leaving the factory.

I just picked up my 05 DS/White MCS. OK here are my complaints:
  1. Mini Cooper Emblems front and rear are not installed straight
  2. Gas Filler door is kinked to the right
  3. Both rear fenders seem to have what seems to be a light crease midway through the fender from when the metal is stamped
I have one other issue with the car, and not sure if this is a normal characteristic of the engine. Upon acceleration, or any increase in RPM's there is a noise that seems to be from the pulley. It kind of sounds like the noise you hear when a train goes by and the wheels squeak on the train tracks. Almost like metal on metal... Is this a normal sound???

Does anyone else have any of the above issues? Especially the creases in the rear 1/4 panels??

I would love to hear your thoughts and your stories as well...

Did I mention I am a perfectionist

Oh yes... One last thing.. Every time before I turn off the car, I turn off the A/C switch. From what I am to understand, when you get back into the car it should remember your last setting. Well when I turn on the key the A/C switch is on... On my M3 this did not happen. Any advice?

Thanks for the time!!!

Old 06-22-2005, 06:54 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dlr218
I have one other issue with the car, and not sure if this is a normal characteristic of the engine. Upon acceleration, or any increase in RPM's there is a noise that seems to be from the pulley. It kind of sounds like the noise you hear when a train goes by and the wheels squeak on the train tracks. Almost like metal on metal... Is this a normal sound???
Is it sort of a ringing noise? Almost tingy? I have a noise similar to this and am not sure if its normal.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:54 AM
camelpilot
Banned
I would hardly call you a perfectionist (no offense). There is a difference between a perfectionist and being "****" - ouch I hate that word.

I dont know whether that sound you're hearing is a result of the "short belt" problem that has plagued a few 05 MCS's this past week. Does it sound like schreeching??? High pitched?? I doubt it's the supercharger, because stock doesnt sing, and when it does sing, it's beautiful and definitely doesnt sound like metal on metal.

As for the badges not been straight, I'm trying to forget I read this, because if this is the case on my car I will be PISSSSSSSSED. And I dont wanna go outside and check.

I think I will just reassure myself that the Camel is fine, and it was perfect when I left it parked in my garage last night, and no perfectionist will change that.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:57 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Oh, and my car remembers if the A/C or radio was off when I turn it on the next time.

If you really are a perfectionist, and everything you say is true, then it's probably a case of the factory workers being a bit slack - always happens in car production. You get the first batch of prototype quality ones, then a middle batch of perfect ones (late 03's and 04s ), then you get the lazy batch ones (05's) then you get the best quality final production goodbye batch ones (06), which they pay alot of attention to because their dear model car is going bye bye.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:02 AM
bodinski
5th Gear
A search for cooper s ticking under load will shed some light on your engine noise problem.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:17 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Here's one possible solution to one of your problems, ldr: Turning off the air conditioning is not nearly as intuitive as it should be. (Particularly on models equipped with climate control.) What I suspect you are doing is turning off the auto setting, but not the air conditioning itself. To turn it off, you have to lower the fan speed on the upper right side of the console until it turns off.

As for the other problems, you'll have to talk to the dealer. If that's not convienent and the problems are too minor to bother, just keep a list of the things you would like them to examine/fix. When you go in for your 10K mile check, you can have the dealer handle it then.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:19 AM
C4
Banned
I am "****" by definition, and have been extremely pleased with the performance and build quality of all the 3 MINIs that I have owned, 2 of them have been MCS.

Being **** or perfectionist, have its ups and downs. If you look too much into the little details, you will drive yourself crazy and will eventually diminish the enjoyment of the car, just a hint.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:06 AM
doombuggy
2nd Gear
when my windows are down I can hear a wizzing noise I assume that was the supercharger though
is that the noise youre hearing???

db

Old 06-22-2005, 09:08 AM
doombuggy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by camelpilot
then you get the best quality final production goodbye batch ones (06), which they pay alot of attention to because their dear model car is going bye bye.
Im new to the New MINI world are they going to stop production or sell to another company???
and if so I wonder what this means to warranty work?

Old 06-22-2005, 09:16 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by doombuggy
Im new to the New MINI world are they going to stop production or sell to another company???
They are stopping prodution of the current model. Long story. They are making a new model, bigger, cheaper..... uglier.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:17 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by doombuggy
BMW owns MINI. That's the way its going to stay!

MINIs are not going anywhere either. Allow me to clarify.... The current model was launched in 2001 so 2006 will be the 5th and last production year. In 2007 an all new MINI with a Peugeot-PSA engine will debut, code named the R56 (Our MINIs are codenamed R50 (cooper) R53 (Cooper S).

Don't worry about warranty, parts and service. Those will be around for years to come and as long as BMW continues to churn 'em out of Oxford, there is nothing to worry about.

The MINI has been the most successful car in the history of BMW.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
I don't think quality control will ever happen, I mean it's heritage, look at the classic Mini..

Old 06-22-2005, 09:18 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by camelpilot
They are stopping prodution of the current model. Long story. They are making a new model, bigger, cheaper..... uglier.
Hey Camelpilot, have you seen, touched and sit inside an ACTUAL production model of the R56 '07 MINI, or you are just making this up?

Old 06-22-2005, 09:19 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by Maximusmini
I don't think quality control will ever happen, I mean it's heritage, look at the classic Mini..
Huh?

Please explain, I can't wait to hear this.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:28 AM
eVal
6th Gear
It seems that every production car assembly line produces cars that run the gamut of quality - the majority will be acceptable and close in quality, and a percentage will fall below the bar. I've seen it in BMWs (including new M3s) and have read about it on various car forums. Sadly it sounds like you happened to get one of the poorer examples, a Friday afternoon car per se - compare your car alongside other ones at the dealer and if you think your car exhibits issues that are not the norm (like creases in the fenders, crooked emblems) see what Mini will do about it.

Unfortunately the best time to catch this stuff is before taking delivery and driving off the lot. I hope that you can work out the issues and that Mini makes the car right.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:45 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by C4
BMW owns MINI. That's the way its going to stay!

MINIs are not going anywhere either. Allow me to clarify.... The current model was launched in 2001 so 2006 will be the 5th and last production year. In 2007 an all new MINI with a Peugeot-PSA engine will debut, code named the R56 (Our MINIs are codenamed R50 (cooper) R53 (Cooper S).
C4, I must correct you here.

Yes, some car manufacturers release new models every x amount of years, mainly because the existing models popularity declines to a point where they dont sell enough to make it worth manufacturing.

This is not the case for the MINI. In fact, the MINI is far more popular than the average car in production today. You do not need to use existing marketing/R&D techniques for the current MINI.

The current MINI has been around 5 years now, yet it is more popular now than it ever was, and will continue to be the case in year 6, and I'm sure year 7 if they let it live that long. This car can keep the factory at it's optimum manufacturing level for the next 3-4 years if they let it, I know this for a fact.

The MAIN reason they are killing the car is because of the new European Pedestrian safety laws - dont get me started on this.

There are other (good) reasons why re-designing the MINI isnt such a bad idea, but I dont have time to go through them right now because I'm at work.

If you want my personal opinion, this redesign is a big mistake. Like premature ejaculation.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:21 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by C4
Hey Camelpilot, have you seen, touched and sit inside an ACTUAL production model of the R56 '07 MINI, or you are just making this up?
no one has sat in production version yet. I have not sat in prototype either, but some here on the board have. I have seen pics though, and i dont like them. I dont like the new turbo engine either, although Turbo can be good for the car.

It wont stop me from buying the 1.8 turbo awd version though. I'll get that one to beat the crap out of it and let it know who is boss. (My Mk1 which gets the garage - the Mk2 is getting street parking).

Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
I agree.. its complicated to explain, but these cars have character. Look at the Japanese cars. Most are terribly BORING. Why, because they are all stamped out the same. They are like appliances. A toaster, refrig... they work almost flawlessly and are as boring. The mini has some unique pieces that make it have character. Like the bonnet, I read something on miniusa that describes how much effort and testing went into the design of the hood. They had to beef up certain angles to make it taught and straight. They could have chosen a simpler more conventional design, but instead kept to its quirky classic roots. Same for the overly complex ECU and other pieces. All these things sometimes are hard to pull together and make the car less than perfect, or you can say they give it character.
I am drawn to these kinds of cars. I can't drive a boring toyota for too long.. sure I appreciate it for its reliability, but in the long run, I would take something more quirky and over-done.
My last two cars were corvettes, one was an 04 Z06. The tranny is heavy duty with somewhat loud gears. The driveline runs inside a hollow tube which is the backbone of the car. It made this terrible growling noise when you turned it off or on slow starts. Everyone around could hear it... both of the vettes did it and it was considered normal. Many complained, but its the nature of the beast... sets it apart and makes it have character.
I read some of the issues regarding the mini when it comes to quality and flaws... I just consider this to be normal considering how unconventional the car is... you cant have a good handling cars with rigidity and you most likely will get some squeaks and odd noises because of this and lack of noise reducing materials... all this adds up to building character...
I'll shut up now.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Hey C4, have you sat in a production classic Mini, or better yet drove one? Well if you hadn't, let's say the quirks and things that what you consider quirks in quality control are what gives it the character.. I know almost all older british cars have huge issues with their electrical system, they rust in ONE certain spot an then grows, these are some of the things that gives the vehicle it's character.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:59 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DLR218-

I think we would all appreciate some pictures of these problems, if you would be so kind, please.:smile:

Good luck and enjoy!

-Steve

Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 PM
TomAiello
3rd Gear
Oh yes... One last thing.. Every time before I turn off the car, I turn off the A/C switch. From what I am to understand, when you get back into the car it should remember your last setting. Well when I turn on the key the A/C switch is on... On my M3 this did not happen. Any advice?
Our 04 remembers the A/C setting (and the radio settings) every time.

Sounds to me like you've got something weird going on.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
C4
Banned
Yeah, I have been countless times aboard some of the most beautiful and well kept classic Minis in Miami. But to compare the quality control of a car that was designed at the tail end of the 1950's with a 21st century car that is produced by BMW in one of the most technically advanced assembly plants in Europe is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Our MINIs don't leak oil like the Classics did with the venerable Austin "A" engine, or rust after a few years or have blatant electrical problems thanks to the "Lucas" electrical systems (Our MINis use German Siemens systems).

Don't get me wrong, know I understand better what you tried to convey before, but in all fairness the build quality and reliability of the BMW MINI is as good or better than the crop of Hondas/Acuras I owned for 12 years straight. Oh yeah, Japanese cars break down too, I guess that is a trait of their otherwise dull character.

Hey C4, have you sat in a production classic Mini, or better yet drove one? Well if you hadn't, let's say the quirks and things that what you consider quirks in quality control are what gives it the character.. I know almost all older british cars have huge issues with their electrical system, they rust in ONE certain spot an then grows, these are some of the things that gives the vehicle it's character.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Monkey_Boy
5th Gear
Yes I am a Newbie and yes I am a Perfectionist.
Uh, you picked the wrong car, then. Maybe you ought to sell it now before your head explodes.

I read somewhere that a new car company is coming on line soon, products are reported to be perfectly engineered and produced.

Call 1-800-Jesus-Motors for more information.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:50 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Monkey_Boy
Uh, you picked the wrong car, then. Maybe you ought to sell it now before your head explodes.

I read somewhere that a new car company is coming on line soon, products are reported to be perfectly engineered and produced.

Call 1-800-Jesus-Motors for more information.
I hear those cars might come with nails in the tires though

Old 06-22-2005, 04:52 PM
vegasdan
3rd Gear
I'll try to help on a couple of your concerns. 1st, the squeeking you hear could be the throttle body, which will "whistle" at certain positions, although generally this is more audible with a CAI. 2nd, the air conditioner control. You must push the button to the off position BEFORE you shut off the engine, if you do it after you turn the car off it will be on when you start it back up. As far as the other quality issues with crooked doors and gas cap, that's what a dealer is for.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Quality Control Mini Cooper S; Where is it???