R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Is "proprietary" a synonym for "It's too hard for me to find out"

Old 06-16-2005, 01:23 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is "proprietary" a synonym for "It's too hard for me to find out"

I sent this question to MINI USA:

Here's an oddball question. I am thinking about changing the horn on my 2005 MCSC but first I want to know what the horn's tone frequencies are on the OEM parts. I understand there are 2 (a low and a high).

This will help me in deciding whether to get a a new one and if so, which tones to pursue.

I bet you get asked this one all the time :-)

Thanks for your help!

The response I got was:

Thanks for contacting MINI. Sorry, this information is proprietary, so

I cannot share it with you. If there are further questions I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I will be happy to lend a hand.

I guess I'll just have to ask someone with perfect pitch to help me out :smile:

Proprietary! Honestly - that's just silly!

Old 06-16-2005, 01:29 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like any regular GM horn to me.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:03 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
if you know someone with a digital keyboard/piano, just go out and honk the horn and play around until you can reproduce the two sounds.They are probably perfect thirds(harmony).It would actually help if they had perfect pitch. Let us know what you find out so we can thbttt to MINIUSA

Old 06-16-2005, 04:11 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
You lost me...are you replacing your horn because it's not working or you want something else just like the original? Then why the same tone if you're going to replace them?

Old 06-16-2005, 06:36 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Better yet, unplug one at a time and guess-tune it with the keyboard. That way you don't half to figure out both freqs at once. :smile:

Old 06-16-2005, 06:46 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
You lost me...are you replacing your horn because it's not working or you want something else just like the original? Then why the same tone if you're going to replace them?
Since I don't want to replace them with the same tone, I need to know the tone. But that is, of course, quite beside the point...

Old 06-16-2005, 09:09 PM
05MCSa
3rd Gear
pro·pri·e·tar·y ([font=verdana, sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (pr-pr-tr)
adj.
  1. Of, relating to, or suggestive of a proprietor or to proprietors as a group: had proprietary rights; behaved with a proprietary air in his friend's house.
  2. Exclusively owned; private: a proprietary hospital.
  3. Owned by a private individual or corporation under a trademark or patent: a proprietary drug.
What this basically means is that it's trademarked. Kind of like the trademarked sound of a stock Harley Davidson motorcycle exhaust. Though you can mod any motorcycle's exhaust to sound just like it, no other motorcycle can sound like it right off the showroom floor.

Or like the Nintendo Gamecube (I may be 25, but videogames will always be a part of my life!); they have a proprietary DVD minidisc as their format for their games - hard-to-impossible to reproduce, because no mainstream copying machine can burn to the miniature discs, and no blank discs like the ones Nintendo uses are available, either!

So MINI is also trying to prevent other cars from sounding like their own.

Last edited by 05MCSa; 06-16-2005 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Apparently I'm blind to the post directly above mine!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Um, I'd more say it's BS smoke screen...

While the definition is correct, there's no way to keep it a secret! You could plug a microphone into an oscilloscope to get the answers, or a frequency analyzer. Almost any decent electronics lab (professional) would have one. The keyboard or guitar way would work as well. Keeping stuff proprietary (like the formula for coke) only makes sense if it's not easy to find out. The frequency mix is the sound it makes, and there's no way to hide that, short of unplugging the horns!

Matt
Originally Posted by 05MCSa
pro·pri·e·tar·y ([font=verdana, sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (pr-pr-tr)
adj.
  1. Of, relating to, or suggestive of a proprietor or to proprietors as a group: had proprietary rights; behaved with a proprietary air in his friend's house.
  2. Exclusively owned; private: a proprietary hospital.
  3. Owned by a private individual or corporation under a trademark or patent: a proprietary drug.
What this basically means is that it's trademarked. Kind of like the trademarked sound of a stock Harley Davidson motorcycle exhaust. Though you can mod any motorcycle's exhaust to sound just like it, no other motorcycle can sound like it right off the showroom floor.

Or like the Nintendo Gamecube (I may be 25, but videogames will always be a part of my life!); they have a proprietary DVD minidisc as their format for their games - hard-to-impossible to reproduce, because no mainstream copying machine can burn to the miniature discs, and no blank discs like the ones Nintendo uses are available, either!

So MINI is also trying to prevent other cars from sounding like their own.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:10 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
Yes, in this instance I think proprietary could be accurately defined as "We don't know and don't care enough to find out."

Old 06-17-2005, 05:14 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
While the definition is correct, there's no way to keep it a secret! You could plug a microphone into an oscilloscope to get the answers, or a frequency analyzer. Almost any decent electronics lab (professional) would have one. The keyboard or guitar way would work as well. Keeping stuff proprietary (like the formula for coke) only makes sense if it's not easy to find out. The frequency mix is the sound it makes, and there's no way to hide that, short of unplugging the horns!

Matt
So once the MINIUSA lurker gets wind of this thread all future production MINI's will come with silent horns.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:11 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
That's kind of understandable that they wouldn't want to share it, because they don't want anyone to just copy it.

On the same token though.. dude, that's dumb.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:28 AM
05MCSa
3rd Gear
Just because it is easy to replicate does not mean that it's not proprietary though. The MINIUSA representative is more than likely simply following protocol. They're not allowed to share that information openly. Whether or not it's easy to copy (just like the Harleys' exhaust note) it a moot point.