R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 My MINI got crunched

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:49 AM
weeone
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My MINI got crunched

I was on my way to work yesterday when a woman failed to stop for a red light. She hit the car behind me, which then hit my car, and pushed me into the car in front of me. I now have rear and front bumper damage. Does anyone know anything specific I should be looking for when my damage is estimated? There does not appear to be alot of damage but I am a bit worried about the integrity of my rear bumper as it took the brunt of the crash. The front bumper was stopped when it hit a hitch reciever but it might be crooked since it was just hit on one side. Thanks for any help!!

Old 06-07-2005, 10:58 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there's any deformation of the bumpers at all, they'll probably be replaced. Good luck! Definitely take a close look at the alignment of your hood, boot, etc. just in case.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:02 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Teresa.

Hope ever your MINI is repaired in short order.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:08 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Sorry to hear about it. Just take it to reputable shop for them to determine the damage. Most of the time there will damage that is not visible to the naked eye. You want to be sure that everything is fixed right, obviousely.

Good Luck.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:18 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Sorry your MINI got crunched by some inattentive driver

My only advice is to have either: your MINI dealer or a top-notch import body shop do the estimate and the work. Usually though, even if the estimate misses something, the repair shop can submit an addendum.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Sorry to hear. If the bumpers can't be fixed now might be a good chance to get the Aero Kit

Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
I hope you're ok!!

Old 06-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Yellow_mini
2nd Gear
Wow that sucks. did you get ticketed? i know in FL. that even if someone hits you; causing you to hit the car in front of you; you get a ticket for following too close.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:41 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
What year is your MINI? I've heard that the earlier (02 - 03) MINI's had a slightly different radiator configuration, and that even a 3 or 4 mph collision could cause serious radiator damage. This was supposedly changed in mid 03 to allow for a 5mph collision.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:46 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yellow_mini
Wow that sucks. did you get ticketed? i know in FL. that even if someone hits you; causing you to hit the car in front of you; you get a ticket for following too close.
Who's gotten a ticket for that? If the people you're sandwiched between say that the only reason you hit the person in front of you is because YOU were following too close, like the person that hit you, i can see that.

But it was, what, 4 cars? The last person in line may get a nice ticket, but unless the two middle people really did something wrong, they shouldn't get anything. I see what kind of tickets people get all the time, i've never heard of a middle person getting a ticket for following too close.

Were there skid marks?

Old 06-07-2005, 12:03 PM
ahamos
Originally Posted by The Short Bus
Who's gotten a ticket for that? If the people you're sandwiched between say that the only reason you hit the person in front of you is because YOU were following too close, like the person that hit you, i can see that.

But it was, what, 4 cars? The last person in line may get a nice ticket, but unless the two middle people really did something wrong, they shouldn't get anything. I see what kind of tickets people get all the time, i've never heard of a middle person getting a ticket for following too close.

Were there skid marks?
Probably only in his -- never mind...

In New Jersey, all participants in an collision are "at fault" to a certain extent. It's really not surprising to find similar circumstances in other states. I would think, however, that the "following too close" BS would only apply if the vehicles were in motion at the time of the accident. If most of the cars were stopped at a light, then they really weren't following, were they?

Old 06-07-2005, 12:12 PM
weeone
1st Gear
We were all stopped so she got a careless driving ticket and the rest of us did not!

Old 06-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Drsms22
5th Gear
bumper

One thing I like about GEICO is that they don't mess around with accidents like that and are likely to replace the entire affected bumper. Remember, your future resale value of your car is possibly affected by any visible repair versus replacement.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
weeone
1st Gear
In Colorado, following too closely only applies when someone is actually following a car and no accident happens. It is basically tailgating. When someone is hit from behind and is stopped, then it's careless driving. And there are no skids except on the road and only where she was trying to stop once she looked up from her cell phone call and remembered she was driving.
Originally Posted by ahamos
Probably only in his -- never mind...

In New Jersey, all participants in an collision are "at fault" to a certain extent. It's really not surprising to find similar circumstances in other states. I would think, however, that the "following too close" BS would only apply if the vehicles were in motion at the time of the accident. If most of the cars were stopped at a light, then they really weren't following, were they?

Old 06-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Yellow_mini
2nd Gear
I know it doesn't seem fair to get a "following too close" ticket in FL but thats the law, BS or not. My dad owns a body shop so I've seen it several times.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:12 PM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
I've seen a 3 car accident where the person on the end wasn't paying attention and whacked someone, who was pushed into the car in front of them. The end person got a reckless driving- accident ticket for hitting them... and the middle person DID get a ticket... for not having a license on them :P Following too close should only apply if the people are moving. Cuase they'd have to have something to "follow." If they're stopped, then careless or reckless. Then there are countless other situations taht call for many other tickets. Fail to yield right of way is a very common one. And those commercials aren't kidding about the crack down on safety belt violations... i'm seeing alot now :P

I'm glad the cop cut some slack in the poster's case.

Women should NOT be driving? Even if they do look cuter in MINI's than men do?

Old 06-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go back to your DMV drivers book.

If you don't stop so that you can see the bottom of the rear wheels of the car in front of you, you don't have enough space to dissipate energy if rear-ended. As far as ticketing goes, that veries by state. In LA, any accident had SOME ticket given, no matter what! In CA, it's not like that. Many accidents happen with no moving infraction being given out. I guess the change in insurance rates is enough!

Matt

Old 06-07-2005, 01:41 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Not if you are stopped at a light, you are confusing another situation.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:42 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I know it doesn't seem fair to get a "following too close" ticket in FL but thats the law, BS or not. My dad owns a body shop so I've seen it several times.
What does your dad owning a body shop have to do with you not knowing what you are talking about? Stopped for a traffic signal is not 'following' anything. Dead wrong kid.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:45 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
If you don't stop so that you can see the bottom of the rear wheels of the car in front of you, you don't have enough space to dissipate energy if rear-ended. Matt
Good rule of thumb for other reasons, such as - it gives you enough room to exit if needed. However that is completely irrelevant when it comes to being rear ended, and pushed into the car in front of you. For any given 'magic figure' you come up with, there is a greater speed of impact and weight of vehicles that will prove you wrong.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
BearsMCS
2nd Gear
Leave a little more space...

Back about 40 years ago when we had driver's education in high school it was drummed into our heads to only stop close enough to the car in front of you so that you can see the bottoms of their rear tires. I've been doing this ever since and it seems to work. I got whacked a few times from behind but never touched the vehicle in front of me.

Glad you weren't hurt but Weeone took the hit.

Not trying to preach...

Bear

Old 06-07-2005, 04:08 PM
bluezone
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by weeone
I was on my way to work yesterday when a woman failed to stop for a red light. She hit the car behind me, which then hit my car, and pushed me into the car in front of me. I now have rear and front bumper damage. Does anyone know anything specific I should be looking for when my damage is estimated? There does not appear to be alot of damage but I am a bit worried about the integrity of my rear bumper as it took the brunt of the crash. The front bumper was stopped when it hit a hitch reciever but it might be crooked since it was just hit on one side. Thanks for any help!!
Well, at least it sounds like you are all right. Getting sandwiched in can be serious situation for both car and driver. Glad to hear you are OK. I'm sure the dealers or any good repair place will be able to tell you about the integrity of the bumpers. Just make sure that you are satisfied with the work that will need to be done. Just don't let your insurance company or repair shop take any short cuts. Make sure they have the repairs done to your full approval and not the other way around.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I was rear ended with my buddy in his Fiero. We were the first at a red light, and some body who was looking at her stereo PLOWED into us at about 45. We were sent through the entire intersection, with the rear of the Fiero around the engine, and she had her hood over her roof. Luckily no one was seriously hurt - but it proves that there is NO magic space to leave. You simply got lucky that it was a SLOW impact.

Last edited by mbabischkin; 06-08-2005 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Violation of Site Guidelines
Old 06-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
If you leave enough room for the front of a car to slip in your almost waiting for an SUV or truck or some LARGE vehicle to stick their nose in which then shortens the length to any part of the vehicle. I watched someone hit a car from behind pushed the next car into a car with the nose sticking in... that car had some serious damage to the passengers side front fender...and the door of the nose sticker-out-er.

Basically just drive VERY defensively... and leave a safe distance and try to check mirror to find that person who isnt going to stop!

-Josh

Old 06-07-2005, 04:21 PM
ahamos
That's sort of what happened to me about 12 years ago. I was waiting to make a left turn, the woman behind me had stopped for me (there was only one lane), and the guy behind her was very carefully finding a spot to put his coffee so that he wouldn't spill a drop. At 45mph.

I'm guessing, despite his best efforts, that he lost his coffee.

Quick Reply: R50/53 My MINI got crunched