R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Emergency Boot Release Cable - NO RETROFIT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 05:46 PM
satchmo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully, many of you will remember the discussion from a week ago regarding the experience of Calvin77... when his battery cable become disconnected while motoring in his MCS. If not, here's a link to the thread (I hope): https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ic=4189&55

Anyway after several emails to MINI USA in an attempt to get them to acknowledge the problem and provide a fix, I rec'd the following response today:

"Hi Jim, thank you for your patience.

I did some more research on your questions and found that there is not a battery backup, I apologize for the incorrect information in the previous response. There is a battery safety terminal which has the ability to sever the connection between the engine and the battery to reduce the risk of a fire during an accident. There are also "jumping terminals" located under the hood on the MINI Cooper S for use in jump-starting. I also found that MINI's produced from mid-October on do have the emergency trunk release cable installed. There are no plans for a retrofit at this time. Your dealer will be notified if this becomes available in the future. I apologize for your disappointment.
"

I can't believe it...... :evil: :evil: :evil:

So what now? I've already sent a note back, telling them I plan to notify the NHTSA and BMW, but I doubt it will have any effect.

I'm thinking of calling the Detroit Free Press/Detroit News tomorrow and see if they'd be interested in a follow up to the announcement of MINI's Car of the Year award...... whaddya think?

Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 PM
motomohair
2nd Gear
that sounds like crap.... was there any concern as to the possible danger this posed? yiikes... hope i don't get locked in my car....

Old 01-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Calvin77
5th Gear

>>So what now? I've already sent a note back, telling them I plan to notify the NHTSA and BMW, but I doubt it will have any effect.
>>
>>I'm thinking of calling the Detroit Free Press/Detroit News tomorrow and see if they'd be interested in a follow up to the announcement of MINI's Car of the Year award...... whaddya think?
>>

Satchmo: What a crock! As I have said before, I'm getting really pissed off at MINIUSA's lack of concern and "don't give a crap" attitude, especially regarding this issue.
It seems to me that in the lawsuit capital of the world (USA), MINI should be scared out of their wits by the very real possibility of a lawsuit from someone getting seriously injured or put in danger because of their STUPID and CARELESS oversight and failing to include crucial emergency equipment in a large number of cars. I live in a third world country and am quite used to mediocrity and attitudes such as this, but even in my country at least MINI appears to be more concerned about this issue than over in the states.
If I lived in the U.S. I would have taken legal action a long time ago to have a retrofit of the boot cable installed, but things just don't work that way south of the border.
I think contacting BMW directly is a great idea, as well as the NTHSA, matbe that'll wake up the MINI suits a little..
However, as far as the Detroit Free Press, I wouldn't want the car getting all that bad press. As I said before, I LOVE my MINI, it's the people behind it that I'm not always crazy about.
Giving the MINI a negative public image and bad publicity will only serve to devalue our cars and lower their appeal and resale value, and that's not what we should be trying to do.
As far as BMW/MINI is concerned, however, I'm prepared to give 'em hell on this issue until we get the safety equipment that we NEED TO HAVE in our cars.
I propose an "enthusiastic" group letter, sent to the highest possible rung on the MINI ladder..

Old 01-10-2003, 02:15 AM
Cooperman
3rd Gear
Hey Satch.,
I'm with you when it comes to the notion that Mini seems to be oblivious to the needs of Mini owners that supported the introduction of the car here in the USA. I don't have the cable either (July Build)

Jim

Old 01-10-2003, 04:03 AM
Paul830
2nd Gear
Well it took MINI long engough to "own up" to the problem... As I stated in my other postings, my service department didn't even know there was an emergency release cable...I had to tell them about it... Don't they even read the manual???Group letter sounds good to me...

BTW, remember my post re: passenger door won't open? Well, my car sat out all night during a snow storm and the inside driver door latch was frozen and wouldn't work...I was able to open the door from the outside but couldn't open from the inside until it thawed out... I pulled and nothing happened... I haven't had this happen with anyother car... Locks yes... but latches no... I haven't called the dealership yet... they will just tell me it's just ice... But why do I have so much ice build up in my doors??? More later...

Paul :???:

Old 01-10-2003, 05:07 AM
jsun
6th Gear
[clip]
>>BTW, remember my post re: passenger door won't open? Well, my car sat out all night during a snow storm and the inside driver door latch was frozen and wouldn't work...I was able to open the door from the outside but couldn't open from the inside until it thawed out... I pulled and nothing happened... I haven't had this happen with anyother car... Locks yes... but latches no... I haven't called the dealership yet... they will just tell me it's just ice... But why do I have so much ice build up in my doors??? More later...
>>
>>Paul :???:

Paul, you have ice in your doors -- or more accurately, AROUND your doors and windows -- for the reasons discussed on
this thread about water around the doors when MINIs get very wet. It seems that some cars are more prone to this situation than others, but the basic problem is that the design of MINI frameless door windows does not sufficiently channel water away from the door openings. There's a rumor that there may be a weatherstripping fix to this situation, but that's questionable and I can envision a lot of hassle getting MINI service to understand and acknowledge the issue.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:02 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
Count me in on the group letter!! This has happened to me and being skinning saved me from a more complex problem (I was able to get my hand behind the back seat to release the latch). If MINI felt they needed to put this 'safety' device on newer cars then it should be put on the older ones as well!

Member #47 2002 Dark Silver Mini S white roof and mirrors with Premium and Sport pkgs. He has come and his name is MINI ME (Check my GRILL!!! Grrr Baby)-->MINI ME

Old 01-10-2003, 08:05 AM
SCoopFL
2nd Gear
Looks like I better remove that little boot ledge thing. It serves no real purpose anyhow other than frequently getting in my way.

Old 01-10-2003, 08:40 AM
Paul830
2nd Gear
>>[clip]
>>>>BTW, remember my post re: passenger door won't open? Well, my car sat out all night during a snow storm and the inside driver door latch was frozen and wouldn't work...I was able to open the door from the outside but couldn't open from the inside until it thawed out... I pulled and nothing happened... I haven't had this happen with anyother car... Locks yes... but latches no... I haven't called the dealership yet... they will just tell me it's just ice... But why do I have so much ice build up in my doors??? More later...
>>>>
>>>>Paul :???:
>>
>>Paul, you have ice in your doors -- or more accurately, AROUND your doors and windows -- for the reasons discussed on
>>this thread about water around the doors when MINIs get very wet. It seems that some cars are more prone to this situation than others, but the basic problem is that the design of MINI frameless door windows does not sufficiently channel water away from the door openings. There's a rumor that there may be a weatherstripping fix to this situation, but that's questionable and I can envision a lot of hassle getting MINI service to understand and acknowledge the issue.
>>
Thanks for the info... but this time the door did open from the outside... but the actual inside handle wouldn't pull... like it was frozen... the door was in the open position and when I shut it it wouldn't "catch" and the inside handle wouldn't pull...and the door wouldn't latch... I let the car warm up for 5 mins and ran the heat on HI and the handle did "free up"... I think water is somehow getting inside the door panel and freezing up... my car usually is in a heated garage... Anyone have any ideas or had this happen? Thanks, Paul

Old 01-10-2003, 06:31 PM
satchmo
2nd Gear
Well, rec'd another note from MINI USA today apologizing for my extreme dissatisfaction....

"Thank you for your reply and please accept my apology for your extreme dissatisfaction.

As we previously discussed, all new MINI Coopers manufactured from mid-October 2002 are equipped with an remote trunk release located under the rear seat cushion. This was originally a European-only feature and it was unintentionally listed in the owners manual for 2002 United States Coopers. I apologize for this error but want to assure that you were not charged for something that you did not get. It was a publication error only.

MINI Division is currently evaluating whether or not it would be feasible to offer the remote trunk release on a retro-fit basis. At this juncture, I cannot provide you with a time line as to when a decision will be made. You are welcome to check back with us periodically for an update.

Again, my sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction."

I don't know, does this indicate progress?

Found this number for to the NHTSA's toll free hotline: 1-888-327-4236

We'll see what they think on Monday.

At the very least, I think an increased number of emails to MINI USA might increase the odds of a favorable decision on the retrofit.

Does anyone have an email address for customer relations at BMW (or an email address for an executive at MINI USA)?

How would we set up a group letter to MINI USA?

In the meantime, I've done the same as SCoopFL..... removed the rear parcel shelf. Of course, this means anything left in the boot is out in the open for anyone to see. However, on the good side, it aids your ability to hear that wonderful exhaust note!

Old 01-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Calvin77
5th Gear

>>
>>As we previously discussed, all new MINI Coopers manufactured from mid-October 2002 are equipped with an remote trunk release located under the rear seat cushion. This was originally a European-only feature and it was unintentionally listed in the owners manual for 2002 United States Coopers.
>>
>>MINI Division is currently evaluating whether or not it would be feasible to offer the remote trunk release on a retro-fit basis.
>>
>>
The claim that only european MINI's were meant to have a trunk release is absolute crap.
I HAVE a Euro-spec MCS and as you all know I have no emergency trunk release.
Also, U.S. DOT and NHTSA regulations are much tougher than European regulations, so this would make no sense at all.
Again, it seems that they're only trying to cover up their mistake.
"Currently evaluating whether or not it would be feasible to offer an emergency trunk release retrofit"??!! -Maybe they should evaluate the "feasibility" of being sued by a couple of angry customers..

Old 01-11-2003, 12:42 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
>>"Thank you for your reply and please accept my apology for your extreme dissatisfaction.
>>
>>As we previously discussed, all new MINI Coopers manufactured from mid-October 2002 are equipped with an remote trunk release located under the rear seat cushion. This was originally a European-only feature and it was unintentionally listed in the owners manual for 2002 United States Coopers. I apologize for this error but want to assure that you were not charged for something that you did not get. It was a publication error only.
>>
>>MINI Division is currently evaluating whether or not it would be feasible to offer the remote trunk release on a retro-fit basis. At this juncture, I cannot provide you with a time line as to when a decision will be made. You are welcome to check back with us periodically for an update.
>>
>>Again, my sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction."

>>
>>I don't know, does this indicate progress?
>>
Looks like progress to me. At least they are considering doing something. I would think curious interest buy many would get us alot farther than threats to the NTHSA
Keep us posted

Old 01-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
>> I apologize for this error but want to assure that you were not charged for something that you did not get. It was a publication error only.
>>>>

What's this? Is anyone discussing the cost of the car? NO! As I understand it we are discussing NOT being able to get to our battery when the darn thing is dead! Oh, Hell, charge another $50.00 for the car but give us a way to open the truck with out electricity! Even a key opening would be better than this! Can't we get a key opening boot?

Did I read also that if you have a Cooper S doors locked with the electronic locks and the battery goes out that you are locked inside the car? Well, that's not good! I flip the power locks just before I take off!

Old 01-16-2003, 01:20 PM
satchmo
2nd Gear
Progress!

Contacted my MINI Dealership Service Dept today about the remote hatch release. Although the service manager was unaware of the problem, he did call MINI USA and was told that a service kit should be available to dealers in approx. 30 days, and that they would retrofit my car at no charge. (Maybe I should've contacted the dealer first..... DOH!!!)

Service Mgr said he'd contact me as soon as the kits are available.

Have to say, so far every experience with my MINI dealership (Motor City MINI, Detroit) has been a good one.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 01-16-2003, 01:30 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Progress!

Contacted my MINI Dealership Service Dept today about the remote hatch release. Although the service manager was unaware of the problem, he did call MINI USA and was told that a service kit should be available to dealers in approx. 30 days, and that they would retrofit my car at no charge. (Maybe I should've contacted the dealer first..... DOH!!!)
Good work!

I hope my MCS (currently status 152-Paintshop) will have this when I pick it up in a few weeks...

Old 01-16-2003, 02:44 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
>> It seems to me that in the lawsuit capital of the world (USA), MINI should be scared out of their wits by the very real possibility of a lawsuit from someone getting seriously injured or put in danger because of their STUPID and CARELESS oversight and failing to include crucial emergency equipment in a large number of cars. I live in a third world country and am quite used to mediocrity and attitudes such as this, but even in my country at least MINI appears to be more concerned about this issue than over in the states.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>

Did you ever see the movie "Fight Club"? There's a equation talked about that the auto-makers use to determine whether or not to do a recall. Something like the cost of the expected lawsuits would have to outweight the cost of the recall. Sounds like MINI changed their mind and figured in the other huge cost: lost sales from people that hear stuff like this.

Old 01-16-2003, 05:05 PM
satchmo
2nd Gear
>>I hope my MCS (currently status 152-Paintshop) will have this when I pick it up in a few weeks...

Dominic,

You should have no problem. I looked at a couple of new cars at the Detroit Auto Show today and they were equipped with the cable.

Old 01-16-2003, 09:03 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
I had a similar problem at a auto show and had to disconnect the battery. What a pain to get in the back! My car was built in September so I too neet the retrofit!
Ahhhhh!!

Old 01-20-2003, 07:41 AM
jpavlo
2nd Gear
>>Progress!
>>
>>Contacted my MINI Dealership Service Dept today about the remote hatch release. Although the service manager was unaware of the problem, he did call MINI USA and was told that a service kit should be available to dealers in approx. 30 days, and that they would retrofit my car at no charge. (Maybe I should've contacted the dealer first..... DOH!!!)
>>
>>Service Mgr said he'd contact me as soon as the kits are available.
>>
>>Have to say, so far every experience with my MINI dealership (Motor City MINI, Detroit) has been a good one.
>> :smile: :smile: :smile:

I was encouraged when I saw your post. However........

I contacted the service department at my dealership (Keeler, Latham, NY) and was told that I was their first customer to have this "complaint" . They indicated they were advised by BMW that this was being looked into and would notify the dealership "if & when there is a solution."

I then called BMW directly & was basically told the same thing. They were looking into the "feasibility" of a retro fit and would notify the dealers accordingly.

I mentioned your experience with your dealership. The customer service rep said there is not a retro fit available as they are still trying to determine if it is possible.

So, one of us is being mislead! This is progress?

Old 01-20-2003, 01:51 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
I talked to my dealer (Ferman of Tampa Bay) about this too and the service manager had no clue about a fix or "retro-fit". I have an August build '02 with NO remote release under the seat.

Old 01-20-2003, 03:23 PM
satchmo
2nd Gear

>>I was encouraged when I saw your post. However........
>>
>>I contacted the service department at my dealership (Keeler, Latham, NY) and was told that I was their first customer to have this "complaint" . They indicated they were advised by BMW that this was being looked into and would notify the dealership "if & when there is a solution."
>>
>>I then called BMW directly & was basically told the same thing. They were looking into the "feasibility" of a retro fit and would notify the dealers accordingly.
>>
>>I mentioned your experience with your dealership. The customer service rep said there is not a retro fit available as they are still trying to determine if it is possible.
>>
>>So, one of us is being mislead! This is progress?

This is discouraging news.....

For myself, I'm going to give my dealer the benefit of the doubt..... I'll contact them in 30 days or so and see what they say.

In the meantime, we need everyone with a car built Mid-Oct or earlier to contact their dealer and MINI USA to keep the heat on!

Old 01-20-2003, 04:36 PM
jpavlo
2nd Gear
Hope your dealer is right.

I would also encourage everyone to contact their dealer and MINI USA ( toll free 1-866-275-6464). If we make enough noise someone will eventually hear!

Old 01-22-2003, 07:27 AM
orbhot
6th Gear
>>Hope your dealer is right.
>>
>> I would also encourage everyone to contact their dealer and MINI USA ( toll free 1-866-275-6464). If we make enough noise someone will eventually hear!

Any dealer that states there IS a retro-fit is blowing smoke. I talked to MINI USA and they confirmed there IS NOT a retro-fit NOR ARE THERE ANY PLANS FOR ONE. I too encourage everyone, especially the S owners, to call and complain to MINI USA about the missing manual boot release.

Old 01-22-2003, 07:32 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Pardon if this has been discussed already (I've tried to stay out of this thread...), but isn't it just possible to buy the 2003 release cable from your dealer and either install it yourself or have the dealer install it? Or is all of this really about forcing BMW to pay for the part and installation? Just a question.

Old 01-22-2003, 07:43 AM
orbhot
6th Gear
Good thought, but just talked to MINI USA again. They state: As of now there is NO part that can be ordered/installed on the pre-late-Oct build 2002s that will fix the issue.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Emergency Boot Release Cable - NO RETROFIT!!!!